Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
The smartphone and wirelessly-enabled tablets will almost certainly spell the end of the nonsense that goes with untethered wi-fi-only devices. I can see where people might feel that unencrypted networks fall effectively under public domain. There are a lot of mom-and-pop shops and private users who don't seem inclined to use the very simple utilities to set up their firewall and wireless encryption, much less manage users and update their passwords to keep themselves ahead of hackers.

As far as I'm concerned, jumping on an open network isn't akin to hacking, though I never do so for my own security concerns. There is a handshake when you log into a hotspot, encrypted or not, and the acceptance of the user by the network would seemingly indicate a grant for use. But a lawyer, I am not.

Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
If you have one of the more common brands of wireless routers installed in your airstream, there is actually software called AutoAP you can install on it that will automatically and continuously scan for password free access points, and automatically keep you connected to the one with the strongest signal and best connection. Then it repeats the signal locally. To the access point you are using, your router just looks like any other device that is accessing it. From the point of view of your iPad or laptop, it looks like you have a local wireless access point to the Internet with a full strength connection.

AutoAP is part of the DD-WRT project, which is open source software that turns cheap consumer routers into very sophisticated network devices. Google both names for more information.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #73
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
AutoAP is part of the DD-WRT project, which is open source software that turns cheap consumer routers into very sophisticated network devices. Google both names for more information.
But I hafta be able to flash my computer? oy...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
You have to flash your router - not your computer. I would say it's modestly technical - getting AutoAP to run is a little bit harder but still not too bad. You need to have some basic understanding of how networking works - if you are comfortable configuring a router and messing around with wifi you can probably handle it. There is an extensive support community for dd-wrt, though they are not nearly as nice as the people here at the air forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
I have been hearing this story within the RV community for a number of years, back when you had to have router finder. Some times it is one place, then another and then yet another location. Urban legend??

Maybe this ranks with the one about being held up at an ATM, If you enter your PIN backwards it will give you the money so you won't get killed, at the same time notifying the police. Everyone knows this, someone just forgot to tell the police about it!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Note: Some of the new mobile routers now reference "WiFi as WAN" and have greatly simplified the connection process, compared to the setup for most home routers that connect to the Internet via CAT5 to a DSL or cable TV box.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #77
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Maybe this ranks with the one about being held up at an ATM, If you enter your PIN backwards it will give you the money so you won't get killed, at the same time notifying the police. Everyone knows this, someone just forgot to tell the police about it!!!
Never believed that one, because even a little imagination shows why it could never work… pallindrome PINs (such as 2882) that are the same forwards or backwards.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote