Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Hmm, a cop at a diner, I am shocked, and a prosecutor looking to chock-up another easy legal "win", regardless of common sense.
By the way, my son is an officer, too busy with domestic violence runs to even think about petty things such as this. I would be more inclined to agree with the arresting officer, had the diner filed the complaint.
How about printing a WEP key on a receipt, and password protecting their router?

And yes, I bust my son's chops every time I see him about cops and donuts...but I support them 99.995% of the time...just not this time.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #62
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
<Mod Hat on>

Folks, let's remember why we are here: it's to talk about Airstream and related trailers; their care and feeding.

And according to OUR law (the Community Rules), we are obliged to be nice to each other as we do it.

Please keep that in mind.

<Mod Hat off>
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
I digress...
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up RELAX...take a deep breath.

How do you feel about Yoga?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jordan-Carver-Yoga-7.jpg
Views:	6957
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	157192  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Back to wifi. Some businesses that have wifi for customers have a password and others don't. Same is true of campgrounds. A lot of businesses are so electronically ignorant they don't ask the installer of the wifi equipment to set up a password or don't want to go to the trouble of figuring it out themselves.

The legal argument WiFi Ranger states (post 55) probably would work with judges who have some reality sense. The counterargument is there is no consideration (payment or an exchange of value in some form) and the contract is not valid, therefore, you would be stealing the wifi signal unless you bought something. If you buy something, there is the consideration. But there are forms of contracts requiring no consideration and at this point the legal argument becomes too complex for here. While there are specific statutes in some states, many states have a "theft of services" statute that might apply too. Those statutes have been around for a long time and have been used against people who steal cable and satellite signals and sneak onto rapid transit without paying—not overactive legislation, just about theft.

As a practical matter, the chances of getting busted for this is really small. I think the guy in the example cited long ago in this thread was doing this every day for a long time. Maybe the business complained or the cop saw him there every day or the cop was in a very bad mood (a lot of small towns have a difficult time retaining good cops—low pay and poor equipment—so they end up with a lot of bad cops). Most people use an open network once and move on down the road.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How do you feel about Yoga?

Bob
I, for one, have a sudden urge to take it up!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
While there are specific statutes in some states, many states have a "theft of services" statute that might apply too. Those statutes have been around for a long time and have been used against people who steal cable and satellite signals and sneak onto rapid transit without paying—not overactive legislation, just about theft.

Gene
That was the only point I was attempting to make, above, and in an earlier post...

The laws are there, enforce them, AOT pilling on until an LEO can arrest you for spitting on the sidewalk... actually, there's probably a law for that, too...

also.. I keep hearing this is "a little used law" and rare, but a simple Google returns hundreds of hits like this one here in FL: http://www.pcworld.com/article/12174...i_network.html
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Why should information be a balancing act, nice picture of yoga balance.

Why so many problems with this thread, I'm in an Airstream, I like boondocking, State Parks and travel. When we couldn't find a pay phone, we decided to get a cell phone. Having used computers from the beginning, we now take laptops with us. Next will be the 3G or 4G iphone that is becoming the do all for connections.

I have used free wifi, some libraries have passwords some don't, passwords seem to be given out to anybody that asks. CG have wifi, passwords given when checking in or posted on the counter. Fast food places have wifi, some free with passwords some when you agrees to pay. Truck stops have free wifi and/or pay. Chamber of commerce and tourist information centers with rest areas have it.

What we need is a list of states that are enforcing laws against using free wifi, this I haven't found.

We pay for all of this if you check your home phone bill, your property tax bill and those that set up a busines for profit. Costs are passed on to customers if not paid for by taxpayers.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #69
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
LEO can arrest you for spitting on the sidewalk... actually, there's probably a law for that, too...
Final', if you've ever traveled the NYC subways, you would see there are signs everywhere telling you not to spit. I believe it dates back to the 1918 flu epidemic.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Final', if you've ever traveled the NYC subways, you would see there are signs everywhere telling you not to spit. I believe it dates back to the 1918 flu epidemic.

Gene
I knew I shouldn't have started in with you
Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
The smartphone and wirelessly-enabled tablets will almost certainly spell the end of the nonsense that goes with untethered wi-fi-only devices. I can see where people might feel that unencrypted networks fall effectively under public domain. There are a lot of mom-and-pop shops and private users who don't seem inclined to use the very simple utilities to set up their firewall and wireless encryption, much less manage users and update their passwords to keep themselves ahead of hackers.

As far as I'm concerned, jumping on an open network isn't akin to hacking, though I never do so for my own security concerns. There is a handshake when you log into a hotspot, encrypted or not, and the acceptance of the user by the network would seemingly indicate a grant for use. But a lawyer, I am not.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
If you have one of the more common brands of wireless routers installed in your airstream, there is actually software called AutoAP you can install on it that will automatically and continuously scan for password free access points, and automatically keep you connected to the one with the strongest signal and best connection. Then it repeats the signal locally. To the access point you are using, your router just looks like any other device that is accessing it. From the point of view of your iPad or laptop, it looks like you have a local wireless access point to the Internet with a full strength connection.

AutoAP is part of the DD-WRT project, which is open source software that turns cheap consumer routers into very sophisticated network devices. Google both names for more information.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #73
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
AutoAP is part of the DD-WRT project, which is open source software that turns cheap consumer routers into very sophisticated network devices. Google both names for more information.
But I hafta be able to flash my computer? oy...
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
You have to flash your router - not your computer. I would say it's modestly technical - getting AutoAP to run is a little bit harder but still not too bad. You need to have some basic understanding of how networking works - if you are comfortable configuring a router and messing around with wifi you can probably handle it. There is an extensive support community for dd-wrt, though they are not nearly as nice as the people here at the air forum.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
I have been hearing this story within the RV community for a number of years, back when you had to have router finder. Some times it is one place, then another and then yet another location. Urban legend??

Maybe this ranks with the one about being held up at an ATM, If you enter your PIN backwards it will give you the money so you won't get killed, at the same time notifying the police. Everyone knows this, someone just forgot to tell the police about it!!!
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Note: Some of the new mobile routers now reference "WiFi as WAN" and have greatly simplified the connection process, compared to the setup for most home routers that connect to the Internet via CAT5 to a DSL or cable TV box.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #77
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Maybe this ranks with the one about being held up at an ATM, If you enter your PIN backwards it will give you the money so you won't get killed, at the same time notifying the police. Everyone knows this, someone just forgot to tell the police about it!!!
Never believed that one, because even a little imagination shows why it could never work… pallindrome PINs (such as 2882) that are the same forwards or backwards.