Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #29
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I was reading more about this incident, and a quote from the restaurant owner initially indicated little or no concern about the issue, and didn't know anything about legal issues involved.

This DA is just plain nuts in my book. I would love to see this challenged in court. If the law indicates "unauthorized" use, and the business owner has a free and open signal, used to draw customers,with no posted restrictions, and made no complaint, then where is the problem under the law?

$400. fine/ 40 hours of community service?! Someone should have told him to leave if it concerned them so much. And lock down the router.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I sympathize with the guy that got busted. He must have been worried to death and relieved at his sentence, stiff at it was, they must have frightened him with worse. That had to disrupt quite a few lives and schedules to say the least. Lots of money for everyone out of the "criminal's" pocket. They say the policeman is your friend, but I would just as soon avoid any contact with the police just to play it safe... More than likely he was told it would be much cheaper and less risky and soonest to put it behind him to take the deal and that advice was probably good as gold, but that's a shame.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Free is Free

Only in America!!

Power to the People!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
So now why am I thinking Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke and Pappion with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. You can't break me copper ...hmmm that sounds like James Cagney. (I just dated myself!)

photography
Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
… a law is a law, folks.. and there’s nothing more insidious to our freedom than those ‘laws’ that nobody enforces- think about it.
Or those that they enforce incorrectly. This law was written to give them a way to prosecute hackers who gain access to a computer system where they are not supposed to. That's a completely different situation. When new technology becomes available (and ten years ago who saw free public wi-fi coming?) then the laws need to be re-written to not hamper the use of those new technologies.

It's a shame the guy didn't fight it, because that's how you get rediculous laws like this rewritten, so they apply to criminals, and not people who were just using thier computer in the wrong place.

When laws are badly written, it effects everyones freedom. People need to be outraged enough to get them to change it.

Until then, be careful if you're surfing in MI.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #34
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Did anyone read this in the local newspaper themselves, a direct reporting article, not a wire human-interest item, or is the original source an email?

Pat
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Are you looking for a news link? I found this.

FOXNews.com - Michigan Man Fined for Using Coffee Shop's Wi-Fi Network - Technology News | News On Technology

photography
Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
This is the original story

WOODTV.com & WOOD TV8 - Grand Rapids news, weather, sports and video - A wireless felony

A cowork sent this to me and I simply copied the text from WOODTV.COM.

We had been talking about how I would gain access to email while on our family three week vacation to Nova Scotia and he said he had just read an interesting article about FREE WIFI.

I know many of use FREE WIFI in our travels and I thought I would share this story with the Airstream family.

I hope this clears up the source questions. [But I have to agree that this SOUNDS like something from the National Enquire rather than a TV station.]

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
I'm guilty...... I've been known to frequent the parking lots of hotels, coffee shops, book stores, etc., with my laptop. Never thought of it as theft, it was free! Never had any one question me about it either. Maybe there's a little more to this story........

T
Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #38
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I can see both sides of the issue. It's kind of like if you go into the coffee shop and get a handful of napkins everyday. Yes, they are free, but sooner or later you are going to be confronted with the fact that the coffee shop owner is paying for them, but you aren't buying anything to let him earn a profit to cover the cost...same with the wi-fi you are using. At the same time, he was, I believe, in the public right-of-way and using something that was freely available in the public right-of-way. But on the other hand, he knew who was providing it and he wasn't buying anything to cover its cost.

I, too, would have liked for him to have challenged the fine and public service deal rather than plea-bargain, but I can certainly understand why he didn't. It was cheaper than hiring a lawyer and he wouldn't get an arrest record. He had much more to loose if he had lost the case and with today's fickle juries I would have been afraid to go to a jury trial myself.

A quick, and true, story. A lawyer friend of mine told me that several years ago a man bought a lawn mower. He took the handle off and the wheels off and attached two 2X4's to the bottom sides of the mower deck to use as handles. He lifted the mower up to trim his hedges. One day it slipped and cut four of his fingers off of one of his hands. He sued the manufacturer. The jury awarded in his favor because there was no warning on the LAWN mower that you shouldn't use the LAWN mower to trim your hedges. This is why most everything you buy now days has a manufacturer's label that states something to the effect that it is unlawful to use their product for any purpose other than the one that it was intended.

I just don't know if I would have trusted my fate to a jury of strangers. I agree there should have been bigger fish for the officer to fry, but without being there there is no way to know all of the circumstances that may have led to the situation.

Yes, Pat, I saw an article this morning on MSN.com about the arrest of the user of the free wi-fi incident, but I didn't take time to read it...it seems it really did happen.

Yet, five years ago three middle eastern men stopped in a restaurant in a North Atlanta suburb on their way to Miami and made a lot of comments about planned presidential assassination attempts and other terrorist activities and when the waitress called the FBI to investigate, she was the one that nearly got arrested...our law enforcement will arrest people for piggybacking free wi-fi but they won't go after potential terrorist that are plotting against our government and the legal citizens of our country!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #39
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Well, thanks for the link. It appears to be true; sad, but true anyway.

Sorry I doubted you guys.

Pat
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Or those that they enforce incorrectly. This law was written to give them a way to prosecute hackers who gain access to a computer system where they are not supposed to. That's a completely different situation. When new technology becomes available (and ten years ago who saw free public wi-fi coming?) then the laws need to be re-written to not hamper the use of those new technologies.

It's a shame the guy didn't fight it, because that's how you get rediculous laws like this rewritten, so they apply to criminals, and not people who were just using thier computer in the wrong place.

When laws are badly written, it effects everyones freedom. People need to be outraged enough to get them to change it.

Until then, be careful if you're surfing in MI.
I’m not so sure, Stefrobrts.
I caught a local news item on this, and they made it sound like the law is there to provide prosecutors a way to investigate terrorist activities on-line.
i.e. if an ‘evil-doer’ was spiking a network, probing security, or even hijacking servers for sending ‘male-enhancement’ spam-mails (any number of things this individual could have been doing)

the only point I was trying to make was the significance of enforcing laws in this country. I know I’m opening a can ‘o flame, but take for instance the immigration woes we’re having- a lot of the problems would be minimized if we simply enforced (and had been enforcing) the laws that are already on the books…
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
There's nothing wrong with providing a way to investigate terrorist activities, as long as when they discover it wasn't terrorist activities, they let the person who was not doing anything wrong go on about his business. Investigating someone and then slapping them with a fine when they weren't doing anything wrong just takes away all of our freedoms.

I am tired of seeing people roll over and give up their rights just because someone says 'terrorist'. The guys who are hijacking packets and stealing passwords can be doing it just as easily from inside the coffee shop without attracting attention, same with terrorists, spammers, whatever. Instead the law catches one guy who was innocently sitting outside. It's a shame when doing anything outside the norm immediately leads to you being 'suspected', and once your suspected, you're tangled up in this crazy justice system where they have to punish you somehow. It seems no one involved (police, prosecutors, etc) can use their own good judgment to see nothing sinister was going on here and just let it go.

Oh, and I just want to say I completely agree with those who wanted to see the original news articles. I spotted this story on a blog a week or so ago and read up on it. I don't believe anything on the net until I've confirmed it with a couple different sources, and then still if it sounds too stupid, it's possible it might yet be retracted. A healthy skepticism should always be encouraged on the net! I agree, this story sounds too crazy to be true, but it seems it just may be.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The only thing is is that it is different with stacking up on napkins and crackers and packets of sauce. Each of those items cost the shop, for unlimited internet each user does not add to the cost, or am I incorrect in this? I would also think taking home in shop items to supply your demand there, is much more deliberate and apparently excessive than logging on to free internet. It's not like the phone book ad says free crackers or napkins. But I do bring the crackers back to the Airstream, it is perfect serving size for the middle of the night with a little pb!

photography