Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Macbook Air -ideal boondocking computer

I bought this laptop based on reports of very low power consumption. I bought the 13" model with standard processor, hard drive, and memory-the base model. It has solid state hard drive and LED screen backlight. In operation the computer runs very cool.

Once the computer had completed initial OS updating and charged the internal battery, power consumption settled on 7 watts with screen up displaying desktop. When computer was pushed by heavy scrolling, loading new web pages, switching between windows, the consumption rose to 10-17 watts. Displaying a full screen high resolution flash video took about 18 watts. I have the screen brightness at a higher setting in manual configuration (I need bright screen).

Using the computer with a 12 volt DC to DC converter (Amazon purchase), my solar display settled into a half amp power consumption increase when laptop was on and displaying desktop.

The computer has no optical drive. The solid state hard drive boots very quickly and the computer works well. If anyone is looking for a nice laptop with very low power consumption characteristics, check this one out.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanks for the in-depth evaluation. We are currently using 10" notebooks for the small footprint, but are always considering the latest and greatest out there. As we run an on-line business from the road, we really appreciate hearing about the new computer hardware.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I recently switched to the same Macbook Air 13inch and couldn't agree with you more. We use a Verizon Mifi 4g router and it works great for both of us to catch up on some email or download a movie to watch. I'm on my Airbook now at the carwash. Love it.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
iPad is a frugal power-eater. My wife ditched her Air for an iPad... mostly for the games...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Agree. I switched to this new 13" McBook Air and never use the iMac anymore. Goes on all our trips, along with the wife's iPad.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
iPad is a frugal power-eater. My wife ditched her Air for an iPad... mostly for the games...
Yep, we have been amazed at how long the battery on the iPad lasts.

We have a MacBook 13" I think at home---love it, too.

Maggie
Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Jeeze.... With such a great review, I am forced to go get one!

I love the Ipda and take it everywhere, but also need a laptop for work. The PC is nice but a rather large foot print in a relatively small trailer.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Apple computers are wonderful! I use a 13" MacBook Pro and find it is perfect for my use. If you must have a pc then just purchase a copy of Windows and run it in Bootcamp mode for those times when you must live on the dark side....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
The PC is nice but a rather large foot print in a relatively small trailer.
You can get a Mac Mini, and use the television in the trailer as a monitor. It's 8"x8", and 1.5" tall. I have bluetooth mouse and keyboard, the keyboard is 11"x5". So, no wires going anywhere. If you don't want the mouse, they have a bluetooth trackpad for it, so you don't even need a surface for the mouse.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A company called Mac-Case (mac-case.com) makes a leather case called the flight jacket that will hold both the 13" MBA and the iPad. There is also an accessory "PlugBug" by twelvesouth (twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/) that intercepts the plug on the MBA power adapter so that there is both the MBA power cord and a USB 2.1 Amp at 5 Volts socket to charge the iPad. Thus only half a wall outlet is in use for charging.

I use both of these items for all my Mac laptops (17" size flight jacket for the 15" MBPro Retina in which I have carried the 11" MBA, 15 MacBook Pro, and iPad and power bricks when on a road trip with my wife).

YTMMV
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
On the Apple front, is anyone using an Apple TV in their Airstream? Just purchased one for at home and love the integration with the computer, iPad, etc. along with watching Netflix.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Have had all three versions of the MacBook Air...but went to the 15" MacBook Pro with the retina display. NOW I hear that next year they'll be putting retina display's in the MacBook Air! Which means, I'll go back to the Air. The Pro is awesome, all solid state like the Air....but the display makes the Air look like a 60's tv. And, yes, I also have the iPad 4 and the iPhone 5. Not sure I'd put the TV in the trailer as there just isn't enough bandwidth in most parks to download movies in a reasonable period of time.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Not sure I'd put the TV in the trailer as there just isn't enough bandwidth in most parks to download movies in a reasonable period of time.
I try to plan ahead, and download several movies I am planning to watch during my camping time before I leave home. I have the adapter for my MBP to go to the HDMI input on the tv in out trailer.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have both - and note that the newer PC consumes as little power as does our Macbook Air ... but the PC doesn't have the nifty silver housing ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
On the Apple front, is anyone using an Apple TV in their Airstream? Just purchased one for at home and love the integration with the computer, iPad, etc. along with watching Netflix.
I use a 720p Apple TV in my 2012 23' International CCD. I love it. A Blu-ray Disc player came with it but I've never even used it. In fact, I'd rather reclaim the storage area in the front locker for other stuff. Like others have mentioned, I try to plan ahead and have all of the content on my iPad or MacBook Air to deliver to the Apple TV.

At home I use a Mac mini with an EyeTV doohickey attached to it and a HD cable box from my cable provider. With this setup I can record HD TV shows to my computer, quickly convert them to iPad format, and sync them via iTunes to the iPad. My job requires regular overnight travel during the week and this is a great way for me to take TV content with me. It's like a DVR with the added portability that the iPad offers. There's even an iPad/iPhone app for the EyeTV that lets you set up recordings remotely if you forget and you're away from home.

Apple was ahead of the game on this stuff versus Microsoft. Now that Microsoft has their Surface tablet, it's likely a similar setup could be accomplished with the Surface, Windows 7 or 8 PC, Hauppauge (sp?) HD recording device, cable or satellite box, and finally, some kind of PC compatible box like the Apple TV that would stream Windows native file formats without the lengthy file conversion to support Apple TV from a PC.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Have had all three versions of the MacBook Air...but went to the 15" MacBook Pro with the retina display. NOW I hear that next year they'll be putting retina display's in the MacBook Air! Which means, I'll go back to the Air. The Pro is awesome, all solid state like the Air....but the display makes the Air look like a 60's tv. And, yes, I also have the iPad 4 and the iPhone 5. Not sure I'd put the TV in the trailer as there just isn't enough bandwidth in most parks to download movies in a reasonable period of time.
Good point with the bandwidth available at most campgrounds. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense other then using it as an Airplay monitor for an iPad or computer (looking at photos, etc).
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
If they do go w/ a retina in the MBA, the battery life will probably go down. I made the switch from being a lifelong PC only guy 3 yrs ago, haven't looked back. Because I'm a programer I required a little more power from my unit, so my wife and I went with 13' MBP retina's, the great thing is we can charge them pretty well off portable solar.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have a 2012 11" MBA for travel (modified with an OWC 480GB SSD) along with the 13" and 15" MBPro retina models. The MBA is more airline friendly in the cramped tourist seats, but the 13" will work in economy plus. Battery life is much shorter on the Pro models, but on United International flights there is a power outlet to keep the unit energized.

The Pro models do spoil one's eyes with the better displays.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Apple all the way...

See door; see rear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple door.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	213838

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple too.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	213839

MacBook Air. iPad too. Indispensable.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have a 2011 MacBook Air running 10.9.5. I use Handbrake to rip DVDs I rent and put the files on my MacBook air or our iPad. I use HDMI/Thunderbolt connector on the MacBook Air and VLC to run the movie on the TV's HDMI port. The iPad has the 30pin to HDMI adapter. Works great on both. After we watch the movie I delete the files. We typically only watch the movies once. My 2007 iMac 20" 2.4ghz runs great on 10.9. I just upgraded it's internal hard drive to a Seagate 2 gig 7200rpm Hybrid hard drive. I'm good for another 7 years.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote