Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Consider getting a different model from Weboost. The M2M is a 15db gain while many of the others do 50db.

ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bold... how do you get unlimited data from Verizon? We have a commercial account and when we hit 40GB had to open a second commercial account with them to get to 80GB. At that time, I think we were paying about $800 a month. (about two years ago). What does Verizon charge you for unlimited data?

To save from doing a lot of research, can anyone recommend the top choice in an external antenna for the Airstream and a booster to attach to our JetPack?

We need as much LTE/4G as we can get when traveling.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Weboost,com (formerly Wilson) and the Drive 4G-M or Drive 4G-X (not yet available). Jetpack will 'connect' while in proximity to the inside antenna. External it will ship with a short stubby which works but if you are in real fringe areas you may want to get a better omni or in really bad spots a Yagi antenna. I use the stubby a lot, have a trucker omni which I mount to a painters pole and stick it in my flag pole holder.

3gstore.com can answer questions and put together a solution for you.

I have it setup in the truck while driving and simply unplug the unit and move it to the AS when I get parked and camping. Separate antenna and power supply for the AS.

Verizon had unlimited data plans in the past. Think they are no longer offered.
ProPride
NØVPN
Old 05-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
They are no longer offered. They changed me out of mine when I went to Mexico last fall and would not give it back when I returned. To say I was upset would be an understatement.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Fascinating discussion, thanks! I'd love to see photos of all of Bold's gear mounted and working, with details on running the wires and mounting the antennae, how one knows which way to orient a directional yagi when the tower isn't where it can be easily seen, and whether an omnidirectional 3/4G antenna (looks just like the wi-fi antenna from the outside) might be a good substitute for the yagi.

As of now, we very occasionally get campground wifi (oxymoron!) to work, and have reasonably good luck with a Wilson Sleek 4G booster along with its little home office antenna kit. However, we must admit to some level of frustration since all antennae are inside the trailer where they do the least good. We're pretty sure we'd bet better results with a configuration like Bold's - just not sure where to run the wires and and mount the gear, both internal and external, without making too many new holes.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Sorry, I didn't mention it, but I have a grandfathered plan.

I have pictures on Instagram, but haven't recently taken shots of everything finished.

Like for example, I have an internal wifi antenna I mounted in the ceiling

There are several sites that let you search out cell towers and radio repeaters, and you can put your phone into test mode to help locate the nearest tower for pointing your YAGI. It's rather simple really.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Ah, cool, thanks. Excellent shots on Instagram.

BTW, I figured out how to put my iPhone into "Field Test" mode, which is what we'd use to see how the 3/4G signal changes with boost.

The photo above nicely shows how you pulled wire from the internal wifi antenna via the FF after mounting it to the ceiling. Cool.

The photo in the following post shows one simple way to mount antennae to the TV antenna mast and bring the wires in via the FF. Looks like it would work with anything you can mount to the TV mast. http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1185589434

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
My WiFi Antenna Mount

Mounted my antenna as high as possible in the TV antenna mast. Works very well, very happy with reception and through-put. Rand the coaxial cable beside the TV coax and into the curb side front locker. Allows me to either use 12v or 110 volt for power that is factory installed in that overhead locker.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1402317024
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I removed our TV antenna, because we don't watch TV. (not entirely true, we're streamers) And lengthened my rods and built a leveler. I have another thread around here about it.

When we move to another location I'll have to do a detailed write up and take photos. Was just so busy getting us into fulltime mode, I didn't have time to collect all the details.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's silly expensive, and there are easier more cost effect solutions. If you really want to jam a sim card into your router, buy a Cradle Point.

It will also do wifi as WAN like a the over priced Wifi Ranger: CradlePoint MBR1400 3G/4G Router, 50 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

But honestly, the best solution, is to just get a mifi and tether it to a Soho.
Agree, I have a cradle point and it rocks. Going to tie in ubiquiti bullet with an N type connected antenna to the TV antenna mast. Looking to get at least 100 yard range with that wifi setup. They claim 2 miles but that's a little nuts. And then use a 4g modem tied into the cradle point. That's going to be my setup that is. I'll post pics of how to and what issues I ran into.

Boldadventure>what issues did you run into when installing? Did you install conduit for future upgrades from the mast? And how did you route your cabeling?

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
I upgraded my WifiRanger setup. My original WFR Go and Ubiquiti worked well until the Bullet bit the bullet and died. So I sold my WFR Go and bought the newer Go2 and Elite antenna. First test out I connected to a TCBY yogurt hotspot at just over a mile. Needed the password so I went and got yogurt and a password. Reasonably good connection, pretty flat with no large obstructions in the way. Don't think I would have streamed movies but reading the forum and emails it was just fine.

If you only get 100 yard range with the Bullet something is tragically bad with your setup. Last time I was in the same park with the Bullet it didn't see nearly half of what the Elite had showing up let alone connecting.

So a happy endorsement for the WFR setup. Elite mounted on the top of my center flagpole/painters pole using a Kacey Pole adapter (Amazon.com : Kacey Enterprises Kacey Pole Adapter, 5/8 Baby Pin on Top / Standard Extension Pole Threads on Bottom : Photographic Light Mounting Hardware : Adorama Camera).

ProPride
NØVPN