Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ah, cool, thanks. Excellent shots on Instagram.

BTW, I figured out how to put my iPhone into "Field Test" mode, which is what we'd use to see how the 3/4G signal changes with boost.

The photo above nicely shows how you pulled wire from the internal wifi antenna via the FF after mounting it to the ceiling. Cool.

The photo in the following post shows one simple way to mount antennae to the TV antenna mast and bring the wires in via the FF. Looks like it would work with anything you can mount to the TV mast. http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1185589434

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
My WiFi Antenna Mount

Mounted my antenna as high as possible in the TV antenna mast. Works very well, very happy with reception and through-put. Rand the coaxial cable beside the TV coax and into the curb side front locker. Allows me to either use 12v or 110 volt for power that is factory installed in that overhead locker.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1402317024
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I removed our TV antenna, because we don't watch TV. (not entirely true, we're streamers) And lengthened my rods and built a leveler. I have another thread around here about it.

When we move to another location I'll have to do a detailed write up and take photos. Was just so busy getting us into fulltime mode, I didn't have time to collect all the details.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's silly expensive, and there are easier more cost effect solutions. If you really want to jam a sim card into your router, buy a Cradle Point.

It will also do wifi as WAN like a the over priced Wifi Ranger: CradlePoint MBR1400 3G/4G Router, 50 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

But honestly, the best solution, is to just get a mifi and tether it to a Soho.
Agree, I have a cradle point and it rocks. Going to tie in ubiquiti bullet with an N type connected antenna to the TV antenna mast. Looking to get at least 100 yard range with that wifi setup. They claim 2 miles but that's a little nuts. And then use a 4g modem tied into the cradle point. That's going to be my setup that is. I'll post pics of how to and what issues I ran into.

Boldadventure>what issues did you run into when installing? Did you install conduit for future upgrades from the mast? And how did you route your cabeling?

Cheers,
Ryan
vwklick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #25
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I upgraded my WifiRanger setup. My original WFR Go and Ubiquiti worked well until the Bullet bit the bullet and died. So I sold my WFR Go and bought the newer Go2 and Elite antenna. First test out I connected to a TCBY yogurt hotspot at just over a mile. Needed the password so I went and got yogurt and a password. Reasonably good connection, pretty flat with no large obstructions in the way. Don't think I would have streamed movies but reading the forum and emails it was just fine.

If you only get 100 yard range with the Bullet something is tragically bad with your setup. Last time I was in the same park with the Bullet it didn't see nearly half of what the Elite had showing up let alone connecting.

So a happy endorsement for the WFR setup. Elite mounted on the top of my center flagpole/painters pole using a Kacey Pole adapter (Amazon.com : Kacey Enterprises Kacey Pole Adapter, 5/8 Baby Pin on Top / Standard Extension Pole Threads on Bottom : Photographic Light Mounting Hardware : Adorama Camera).
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote