Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
1976 31' Sovereign
Longwood , Florida
Checked on Satelitte a couple of years ago and what stopped me then was the cost-about $100/mo and the fact that if you are mobile you had to be trained as a tech in order to properly set it up each time. The dealer said I could work with him a few days to learn how. I believe it is because you are sending a signal to the Satelitte. Plus the system was expensive to buy. Too may problems.
Have been using the Verizon air card for several months from Florida to the Upper Penninsular in Michigan--It has never failed to work--sometimes better than others. I have no complaints whatsoever. The new cards are wireless, so you can use two computers at once on one card. It cost $60/month. There is a charge for the card--which I don't remember how much it was--but there was also a rebate.

NeillBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've had very good luck with my Verizon air card, especially this last year. A few years back, I couldn't even get a signal in my backyard. So I started out with an air card and an external antenna with a signal amplifier. As they have added new cell sites, I found I was using the amplifier less often, and now it's rare when I have to use the external antenna.

I'm on the "unlimited" 5 GB per month plan, don't download many files, and have never come close to using 5 GB. However, my daughter maxed her card out the first time she got it in under 10 days.

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Originally Posted by NeillBeavers View Post
The new cards are wireless, so you can use two computers at once on one card. It cost $60/month. There is a charge for the card--which I don't remember how much it was--but there was also a rebate.
I believe they call it the MiFi card, which is a very compact aircard combined with a wireless router. If I recall, you can connect 5 devices to it at the same time. I was tempted to go with it recently, but was concerned what impact making my laptop a hotspot may have on my 5 GB limit. Because we usually travel off the beaten path and, even though the signal is generally strong in most places, I'm not quite ready to give up my external antenna system just yet. On a recent trip to the Midwest, there wasn't any place I couldn't get a signal, but as you said, sometimes it's better than others.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i believe the mifi has the capability of setting passwords to pervent unauthorized users.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We've been using a MiFi and it has worked out great...except for in remote areas (the areas we most like to travel to!) We have learned to check Verizon's coverage map before we go to our next campsite. We just recently purchased a tripod satellite unit so we could go to the more remote areas and so far, we have had the worst luck with it. It never works when we need it to work the most. Of course, we were warned that setting it up takes a lot of practice and patience. We are still hopeful that we will figure it out (especially since the cost was so high) but it seems the MiFi has really come through for us MOST of the time. We do have a limit of 5 gb but have yet to reach the limit each month. My husband works M-F/8 hrs a day and I'm usually using the MiFi as well during that time. We just are careful to not do any videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc.). And, you can set up passwords to prevent others from using it.
Lani Pokrana
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
The Verizon card never worked for us in Arizona. Most campgrounds and pizza parlors have wi-fi now.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I have a starband with tripod. It works anywhere in the U.S. but it is kind of a pain to set up and point and a bit expensive. I would rather have a cellular air card but I rely on internet for my business and absolutely must have it in remote areas.
1961 Avion T-27

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There is no longer any "unlimited" aircard they are all limited at 5GB and very expensive after the 5GB.
Some folks were grandfathered in on their unlimited plan and do have unlimited but any account changes and they will go to the 5GB plan.

I just switched from ATT to Verizion and think Verison is great with a LOT more 3G coverage than ATT.

I did hear about a $99 unlimited plan from Sprint but haven't seen it advertised lately.

Many CG do have WIFI so managing where you stay and mixing up the WIFI and data card you might be able to meet you "must" have.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Omelas , Texas
Has anyone seen / tested / this system: WiFi in Motion?
WiFi In Motion

I am also looking for the best non-satellite option out there...
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
what about more than an air card?

from website

"WiFi In Motion is a packaged wireless Internet access solution that includes a high-gain antenna, a 3-watt amplifier, a 3G mobile router, and all the accessories you need to create your own hot spot."

How does this compare to the Verizon air card? Does it make the RV a hot spot using the aircard and amplify whatever signal the air card picks up?

Can someone explain? Is this extra cost/stuff worthwhile?

pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Whoa everyone, Zenarmy says he needs more than 5 gig a month.
Read your service contract. Verizonwireless unlimited data really means 5 gig a month for the $60 flat rate. Use more data than that and Verizon may cancel your service.
KE5CKG on 2 meters
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
I've had a Verizon card for over two years. Sometimes it works very well and sometimes it is slow. The connection has occasionally just disappeared.

It costs $60 a month. My contract does say unlimited, but apparently that it isn't offered anymore.

I like the portability, but have found some places way out in the country where I couldn't get any signal.

I know several who use their cell phones to connect to the computer for the internet.
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #27
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had the Verizon mobile broadband card for about 3 years, and love it. We would have nothing else, and bundle our cell and land line for a nice discount.

There are occasional areas where there is no signal, but not many or often in the great scheme of things. If we can't get it for a day or two, generally in remote or heavily wooded areas, we pull it up as soon as we're out of there and off we go. The unlimited access allows us to do whatever we want, for as long as we want, including Skype with the grandbabies.
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Billing problems with Verizon

My wife signed up for Verizon Wireless Internet last summer to have access while out of the country. She was promised the equipment before her departure date and it was not delivered until a week after she left, so we refused the delivery and called Verizon to cancel. Instead we got a bill. Called and cancelled again. Found out on this month's phone bill Verizon started billing again in December. Again I have been promised by Verizon they would make it right. We'll see.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote