Old 02-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I basically have the #4 setup + some additional hardware as mentioned in that Riveted post. The "wifi in motion" product they refer to looks like it is more for commercial, multi-user use, however. It doesn't seem like they are angling for RV users.

But I do have the cradlepoint router and I use both sprint and verizon USB modems with it (sounds like the wifi-in-motion network is Verizon). Sometimes I swap the SIM for my verizon account to my jetpack. I also have Wilson and Surecall signal boosters that I sometimes use on the verizon/sprint signals.

On top of all that, I have 2 cellular/pcs/lte antennas outside and 2 2.4ghz 802.11b/g/n antennas that connect to a VERY high power and sensitive Mikrotik router (very geeky product).

At the end of the day, I can use BOTH the sprint and verizon connections at the same time (when they are both available) -- PLUS I can also pull in outside wifi and use that to add to my available bandwidth.

It all feels a bit like voodoo and witchcraft sometimes trying to get things set just right. I've been known to move my trailer around a boondocking campsite by a few feet at a time trying to get an antenna to pull in a decent signal. Perhaps that seems crazy to some, but to me, it can make the difference between being able to stay somewhere for a week or two vs just overnight.

Mobile internet isn't anywhere near as reliable as a home connection, but by having a large assortment of gear and bandwidth options ready to go, I can usually keep one or more connections up and working to a satisfactory level without a lot of effort.

It's also kind of fun for me. Sometimes I fantasize about having a 30 foot pneumatic mast like you see on TV news trucks!

WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here is my insane array of antennas...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392617118.773974.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	654.4 KB
ID:	205763

I've recently swapped the antenna with the spring on the bottom (a wilson) for one of the same type that is a foot taller. It makes a pretty big difference in many locations.

WBCCI #1711
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I expect the roof of mine to be an antenna farm at some point. Now I know whose TT that is if I ever seen it onroad. Thanks for another good thread (thinking of TV satellite thread current).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I bought a verizon jetpack last month ( because the tengo-internet wifi is useless at this resort ), and got the deal where I can buy month to month service. The data plan is rather pricey at $60/month for 3 gig, but at least I can do month to month which is better for me as a part timer. The device was $100, which would have been "free" with a 2 year contract.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Bear in mind, cell service requires line-of-sight between you and the closest cell tower. Bad reception can sometimes be cured by means of an exterior antenna for your wireless broadband modem, placed as high as you can mount it. I have an exterior antenna for my Verizon Jetpack, that I mount to the roof of my Airstream Interstate. Having the antenna outside the metal box, and over 9 feet up in the air, sometimes makes the difference between no reception or poor reception, or between poor reception and good reception.

Pro,
Can you share the details of that antenna? Thanks.

JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Pro,
Can you share the details of that antenna? Thanks.

JamuJoe
First of all, since my Airstream is an Interstate, it has a steel (gasp!) body, not aluminum, so a magnet-mount works.

Got the whole thing from Amazon.
Antenna: Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics 301103 Tri Band (800/1900 MHz) Magnet Mount Antenna with FME Female Connector and 10-Foot RG174 Coax Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories
The antenna plus into the Verizon jetpack, though an adaptor cable, or into the signal booster, through a different adaptor.
Signal booster: Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics - Sleek 4G-V - Verizon 4G Cell Phone Signal Booster for Single User: Cell Phones & Accessories
I don't always need the adaptor, but if I'm right on the edge of a cell tower's coverage, it can help.
Adaptor for signal booster: Amazon.com: WILSON ELECTRONICS 971119 Fme Male to Sma Male Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories
Adaptor for Jetpack: Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L External Antenna Adapter Cable Pigtail With Fme Male Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories

That's it. Of course, it helps if I can plug in the Jetpack to 120vAC as well rather than relying on its internal battery, and of course the booster must be plugged in as well when I use it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Pro, and others, regarding being able to connect an external antenna to a jetpack, if that is your goal, be aware that not all jetpack devices that Verizon is using currently can take an external antenna. The one I have is the 5510L, and the way I am looking at this thing, what I see here is what I got. No external port except where the power charger plugs in.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Pro, and others, regarding being able to connect an external antenna to a jetpack, if that is your goal, be aware that not all jetpack devices that Verizon is using currently can take an external antenna. The one I have is the 5510L, and the way I am looking at this thing, what I see here is what I got. No external port except where the power charger plugs in.
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll hang onto my old one (MiFi4510L) as long as it keeps working, so I can keep using my external antenna.

However, if you use the booster cradle, the antenna plugs into the cradle, not the jetpack. The jetpack just sits in the cradle. So the setup can still work.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Here's the setup on mine. Antenna is the big Wilson trucker's antenna. I get 4 bars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	205985  
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #24

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Here's the setup on mine. Antenna is the big Wilson trucker's antenna. I get 4 bars.
That looks a lot like mine. MiFi, cradle booster, antenna. I've only been camping one place— Lake Bruin State Park, St. Joseph, LA— where I got no reception at all even with this setup. The closest cell tower was still below the horizon, and in that case there's nothing you can do.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Elevate!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	205988  
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The closest cell tower was still below the horizon, and in that case there's nothing you can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Elevate!
Of course. But I had nothing to elevate it on to get it that high. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not so addicted to my Internet that I'd go to THAT much effort to get a signal! If Internet ever becomes such a necessity that I can't go three days without it, that's an addiction, not a vice, and it will be time to seek professional counseling.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
If you don't have an antenna port, you may want to check out the Wilson SLEEK line. It's a cradle type thing you can set your device in. The nice thing about the sleek is that it is a cost effective option for boosting LTE in addition to 3G.

Other all-in-one amplifier solutions were somewhat prohibitively expensive last time I checked.
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Hello again.

I have an external antenna as well. I purchased the Wilson larger antenna for the Wilson U sleek (universal) which works with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc. It is about 4X the size of the antenna that comes with the sleek and has quite a bit of dB increase. So far I have not been cell deprived but I also have not been on too many camp outings. I teach as well and Internet is important.

3G vs. 4G. I agree that speed is better CA_Tallguy but so far I have not seen much in the way of improvements between the two. Oddly my straight talk cellular account runs on LTE most of the time and I am not throttled as I lower data amts. I do not see too much in speed difference. I used to be big on the latest and greatest but often it can be fluff with little meat- at least in the beginning. I remember buying one of those Mac 8100/80 AV computers for $5400 touted as the fastest PC on the planet with the most capabilities. Two updates later they disabled the AV features and did not get the OS powerPC native until years later. I sold it for $400 about four years later! I am ok with the 3G at least for now. The midi unit is older but so far, it works.

It is difficult to cover all the bases with cell signal unless you have one of each- Verizon, ATT, Sprint. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. In my area, ATT is king followed closely by Verizon.