Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Laptop in Pickup

Rodney,

When using Oziexplorer on the go, I have built a couple of small benches that sit over the transmission hump. The laptops have a little velcro on the bottom and the bench has a corresponding piece. Works great.

In the Explorer the legs of the bench are fairly short, front to back, and are canted in as they go up to the tabletop. The top is a little higher in the Explorer than in the truck so that the person's thigh in the right seat can fit under the top. The Explorer cabin isn't very wide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862-explorer-driver-s.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	36281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863-explorer-side-s.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	36282

In the Pickup the legs of the bench are straight down:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866-truck-driver-s.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	36283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864-truck-side-s.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	36284

In both of them, there is a cross piece, about 4" wide, between the legs that is vertical and attaches also to the undeside of the top. This makes the bench very strong.

Zep
Old 04-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thanks Roger,

I was trying to figure out how you work that. To bad I have a stick shift. Looks like I will be sticking to paper atlases for a while.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Thanks Roger,

I was trying to figure out how you work that. To bad I have a stick shift. Looks like I will be sticking to paper atlases for a while.
Or part with some hard earned bucks for a Jotto Desk We have a couple of these at work the guys that use them seem happy with them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas

OK, I'm on a budget, but hey, it works! Now if I can figure out how to post this bloody picture
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Zep, That's a nice set up. Really I like it...nicely done, however, What roads do you travel?
This is quite possibly the most dangerous thing I have ever seen in a vehicle.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
For years I've run an old laptop with gps and Street Atlas for a moving map. Ya' gotta learn to not get distracted, but it has kept me from getting lost several times.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The ease of moving through complex traffic areas - with the moving map on the laptop - probably makes it more of a safety feature than a distraction. I've been using the same setup in my pickup for over three years now and I'd hate to travel without it. It's not like watching TV. You know way ahead of time when your next intersection or exit is coming up - and if you're not paying attention the electronically generated voice will alert you in an almost uncanny fashion. When you enter a complicated interchange the screen automatically changes scale - down to the point where your progress and route to be followed is clearly displayed. Generally, my entire route is set up ahead of time and, once the unit is on line, no further attention to the computer - as to the keyboard - is needed. If you make a mistake and get off course, the DeLorme system will immediately - and automatically - start providing alternate routes to get you back on course. That's a real blessing when you suddenly find yourself in heavy traffic, with 30' of trailer behind you, and not a clue as to which side roads will take you where you want to go. It lets you set up for turns without all of that darn screaming and cursing from other drivers around you that you cut off! I like the broad view the laptop gives you. I can't imagine trying to get around with some of the 5" screens on the handhelds. Even the built-in screens on many of the new cars are a lot smaller than I like - but then again, I ain't no spring chicken!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64
Zep, That's a nice set up. Really I like it...nicely done, however, What roads do you travel?
You should see some of the mobile ham gear setups around, nothing like having a 10 pound radio flying around like a missile in the cab of the truck or being propelled by the airbag directly at your head in the event of an accident.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
The ease of moving through complex traffic areas - with the moving map on the laptop - probably makes it more of a safety feature than a distraction. I've been using the same setup in my pickup for over three years now and I'd hate to travel without it. It's not like watching TV. You know way ahead of time when your next intersection or exit is coming up - and if you're not paying attention the electronically generated voice will alert you in an almost uncanny fashion. When you enter a complicated interchange the screen automatically changes scale - down to the point where your progress and route to be followed is clearly displayed. Generally, my entire route is set up ahead of time and, once the unit is on line, no further attention to the computer - as to the keyboard - is needed. If you make a mistake and get off course, the DeLorme system will immediately - and automatically - start providing alternate routes to get you back on course. That's a real blessing when you suddenly find yourself in heavy traffic, with 30' of trailer behind you, and not a clue as to which side roads will take you where you want to go. It lets you set up for turns without all of that darn screaming and cursing from other drivers around you that you cut off! I like the broad view the laptop gives you. I can't imagine trying to get around with some of the 5" screens on the handhelds. Even the built-in screens on many of the new cars are a lot smaller than I like - but then again, I ain't no spring chicken!
Cracker, I have used laptop systems for years for chart plotting on my sailboat, and for a Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) for amateur radio experimentation. The new in car and on dash systems have made the laptop systems obsolete, maybe not for your use but in most cases. I travel with 2 to 3 laptops in my trailer or in my truck but use a Garmin Nuvi for navigation, The Nuvi will do everything the you need plus language translation, money exchange, mp3 play, photo album, and more. I fits on the dash and in my pocket so I can use it on walking tours. It is nice to park in a strange city save the position and when you are ready to return to the car just tell the unit to guide you back to your parked car. The newer navigation units are coming down in price and may be worth your evaluation. The only problem I have with the Nuvi is my wife like to argue with the Nuvi due to the unit having a female voice.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing the value of the mainstream gps units when they are hundreds more than an atlas. Part of me wants one, but I choke on the price to much....

Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing the value of the mainstream gps units when they are hundreds more than an atlas. Part of me wants one, but I choke on the price to much....
The Laptop or the new dedicated units really show their worth on the road. Cracker stated most of the major benefits. My Nuvi will give you a new route if you miss a turn or direct you around traffic. You can tell the unit you are pulling a trailer and it will give you a route designed for trailer towing. The one example I can give you is when we were returning from our evacuation from Katrina we decided to overnight at Pensacola Naval Air Station RV park. It was late and we were tired, had it not been for the GPS navigation we would of not found the site, it was so out of the way and we were so beat I know we would of been sleeping on the side of the road. The ETA information, speed and other data the units provide are very helpful to on the road trip planning. All the being said we do keep an Atlas neatly stored in the passenger side door of the truck.

Check out buy.com they have unit on sale all the time.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
I'vealways been a bit behind the powercurve. Mine works great, but can ony go about a hundred feet before I run out of cable!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64
It seems that way at first glance, but CRACKER and others are correct--it's not like watching TV. It's a lot quicker to glance at than to try and figure out where you are on paper. And at night it helps keep you awake--even if you can't see what's off the road, you can get a feel of what's out there from the map. The software I use, Oziexplorer, automatically switches maps, so you don't really have to do anything while you're driving.

When you're out in the middle of midnight Nevada and not sure where the heck the road is going, the moving map is a life saver. If you miss a turn, you can go 50 miles before you'd figure it out otherwise.

Last weekend I went up to Denver with only a general idea of the subdivision layout, so I was creeping along reading street signs and getting beeped. If I'd had to the moving map, I would have driven a reasonable speed right to the intersection I wanted.

Presenting a moving map is only a small part of why a laptop is useful. I have most of the maps from Quads (1:24K) up to 1:250K USGS topographic maps, city street maps, national park maps, and a few I've scanned for my own puposes. I use the USGS name list to look up places, plot routes, measure distances, log my tracks and keep them (after about a zillion trips, it's nice to be able to look and see some of the detours and when you took them). Most of this is done sitting still. And I don't need an Internet connection to view any of these maps!

By the way, WAHOONC, those jotto desks look great, but I've installed one in another vehicle and getting it properly braced is not easy. I think it's a good idea, but implementation in some vehicles could use improvement. This was a few years ago, so maybe they're better already.

Zep
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Now I get it. Maps.

I had visions of people surfing the internet while cruising the interstate.

Last week I traveled hiway 93 through Nevada. The Extraterrestrial Highway. No map can help, the whole place is lost.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hey Roger, would that rig work with a cheap gps reciever?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Hey Roger, would that rig work with a cheap gps reciever?
Cheaper the better, almost. Any receiver that can put out the NEMA sentence via a serial line will do (given that older laptops have serial ports). You can get a device to do serial-to-USB, which works for most lashups.

My system uses something they used to sell at Costco for about $65--it's a 1.5" square receiver with a USB cable, powered off the computer and has a driver that does a good job of bringing the data in and convincing the laptop that there is a bunch of data on the serial port. Costco lately was selling a Microsoft map package that included a similar item, for about $95, but I haven't seen it since the New Year.

My little module works fine just sitting under the windshield. I used to use a Garmin III, but it often needed an external antenna. Glad I don't need to do that any more. Still have the antenna, if anyone's interested--it's got a preamp that's powered from the Garmin antenna connector.

Zep
Old 04-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Zep,
The reason you need the laptop is to mark all the airstreams you see on the side of the road. You can then check them out on the way home.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
DeLorme has come up with a new package for $299.00, including the handheld GPS unit and the entire U.S. maps. There are options that can take it up over $450.00. It looks like a great piece of equipment and I, for one, plan to check it out. We just acquired a pristine summer "cruiser" (1991 Saab Turbo Convertible) and the handheld would be great for the limited cabin space in the Saab. At least with the Saab I can pull over on the shoulder and put on my bifocals to check the route!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Cheaper the better, almost. Any receiver that can put out the NEMA sentence via a serial line will do (given that older laptops have serial ports). You can get a device to do serial-to-USB, which works for most lashups.

My system uses something they used to sell at Costco for about $65--it's a 1.5" square receiver with a USB cable, powered off the computer and has a driver that does a good job of bringing the data in and convincing the laptop that there is a bunch of data on the serial port. Costco lately was selling a Microsoft map package that included a similar item, for about $95, but I haven't seen it since the New Year.

My little module works fine just sitting under the windshield. I used to use a Garmin III, but it often needed an external antenna. Glad I don't need to do that any more. Still have the antenna, if anyone's interested--it's got a preamp that's powered from the Garmin antenna connector.

Zep
Just a note here on details it is not a NEMA sentence it is a NMEA sentence. The standard is NMEA 0183 here is a link which will help explain it.
Publications and Standards from the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) / NMEA 0183

Here are some FAQ on NMEA

http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

NEMA is here NEMA - National Electrical Manufacturers Association
They don't care much aboiut your GPS but will sell you a breaker box for your home.

You can crank up your com program on your computer and watch the data strings run across the com screen. If you are a little hady with Basic you can write your own program to pull and log data.

ZEP, everone types NEMA for NMEA, I have worked with it over the years so catch it when I see it. It is really a fun and simply standard to play with.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 04-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
....ZEP, everone types NEMA for NMEA, I have worked with it over the years so catch it when I see it. It is really a fun and simply standard to play with...
LOL here! and thanks.

I beat up on my engineers because not one of them can spell "separate."

Zep