Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Mac!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
MacBook Pro...nuff said.

Shari

P.S. Especially with all your photo work...
We have 2 Macs at home, and I have been begging for one for work. Heck our IS department removed Vista from this ThinkPad because of all the problems. Our Macs are fast, clean looking and don't need all that PC protection stuff.

Again MAC is the way to go
Ed the old PC guy who is willing to dress Mac
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper View Post
There is word on the street that a new MS operating system is on the way that will leap over the Vista debacle.
That is currently referred to as Windows7. MS seems to be admitting you are using a computer to do stuff, not just to play with Windoze. It is supposed to be available in 2009--we'll see.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Get a Mac, Mac!

They are awesome, relatively trouble-free and not prone to viruses.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
a contender

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. On further reflection I have decided that the replacement needs to have the 64bit processor, a minimum of 3 gig ram. I want a 17 inch screen, but that is pushing the money up there to high.

Todays contender is

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id= 544442&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm a believer and jumped to a Macbook Pro 2 years ago. When the Dell desktop dies, we probably will replace it with an Imac.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I'm a believer and jumped to a Macbook Pro 2 years ago. When the Dell desktop dies, we probably will replace it with an Imac.

Jack
$2000 isn't even in the range of maybe

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I love my Dell, and they haVe great deals on line. IF you don't like it they will issue a UPS pickup and you get a full credit. I tried the mini but too small for old eyes.
I prefer 15 inch myself however check Dell they have great deals. Good luck!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
These guys are local to me and you can still get XP laptops. Have a new Fujitsu XP unit that I am happy with.

Notebookshop.com | Worth Tapping Into - Fujitsu, Sony, Toshiba, Laptop Computers, PC Components, Jeff Levy, Adam Carolla
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
MacBook Pro...nuff said.

Shari

P.S. Especially with all your photo work...

Seconded! Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.... They offer a 15" and a 17". I use the 17" for my photos, and my husband loves his 15" for music and movie downloads. We are both recent converts. Besides...it matches your Airstream

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. On further reflection I have decided that the replacement needs to have the 64bit processor, a minimum of 3 gig ram. I want a 17 inch screen, but that is pushing the money up there to high.

Todays contender is

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id= 544442&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig
Rodney, I've moved some stuff around, based on what I think you will do with the laptop. Only thing I am not sure about is the damage replacement/lojack option:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
How about this…

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I have a business laptop that has functioned flawlessly through thousands of miles of bashing it around. It always boots, its fast, has a great screen, and the batteries last. And the processor handled all my business programs, including graphics. Its a Lenovo/IBM. and its XP.

HOWEVER, it cost $2000. Now that I have retired, back it goes.

So now what? I can get something for $800 that looks good. But there is some reason the business laptop cost twice that. Reliability? Screen quality? Durability?
Support? Battery recharge time or maximum cycles? Keyboard feel? Swapability? Power of USB ports? Hard disk speed? Graphics? There must be some reasons.

So, I must decide... Which one will endure the bashing around in the Airstream? Yet, which one would be less expensive to lose?
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Dead laptop

Hey Rodney,
This could be a blessing in disguise. The new laptops are cheaper and better than their predecessors. However, Vista can be a hassle. I found that my old printer, scanner and web cam would not work with Vista. Vista also requires twice as much memory as XP. Due to the volume of Vista complaints, Microsoft has extended the life of XP and some new PCs can be ordered with it.

OpenOffice.org 3.0 is a pretty good and free alternative to Microsoft Office.

Check out Skype as a free way to make audio and video calls. It runs really well on the new dual core machines. Great way to keep in touch while on the road.

Quote:
The mother board and processor on my faithful laptop have died (thankfully the hard drive survives) and its time to find a replacement. I dread the hours of endless comparisons ahead and the probably inevitable move to the new windows. I also dread the unexpected expense. Oh well, fresh start time. I know I want/need a big screen and plenty of processing power, other than that all bets are off. Wish me luck.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
General: I just got my husband, who is the least computer ready person I have ever known, a new Dell Laptop with Vista. He had a Dell with XP and you cannot believe what he could do to that. We've had the Computer Nerdz here in OKC wipe everything off his old computer three times. I got him the 17 inch screen with Vista and all the hard-drive and memory I could afford. He's had it a couple of months and it just won't let him mess it up. I would like to have an Mac, who wouldn't, but the price is just too much for the average consumer. I'd like to have a Lexus too, but I'm driving a Toyota and pulling a 76 and 78 Airstream. We get what we can afford. I will say that Bob's laptop is heavy, but he doesn't travel that much except to a jobsite for several weeks and then back home, so it doesn't bother him. I'm using a Dell desktop now and the State uses Dell at work. So far the Vista has done well and no complaints except from Computer Nerdz for the lack of steady business.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. On further reflection I have decided that the replacement needs to have the 64bit processor

Nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote