Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Is a directional cellular antenna worth it?

I'm currently using an 8dBi omni mounted on the AS roof connected to a Verizon JetPack and I'm wondering whether it's at all worth upgrading to a directional antenna. I predominantly boondock in the desert southwest and it seems to me that I'm much more limited by cell distance limitations (i.e. timing limitations) than signal strength.

For example, I was in the south of Death Valley last week ~38mi from Furnace Creek, where the cell tower is as far as I know. I saw 3 out of 4 bars for 1xRTT and could connect. For 3G I saw 2/4 bars but could not connect, the JetPack cycled though connecting...disconnecting, which typically indicates that it's beyond the range that the cell tower accepts.

This experience is very typical for me: I have signal but am too far out. If I'm within range the JetPack usually works even without external antenna. In what circumstances have you found more antenna useful?
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Cell phone signal is affected by two factors - signal strength and line of sight. The higher the antenna, the farther the distance to the horizon, and the longer your line of sight.

As for signal strength, radio signals obey the inverse-square law. For each doubling of the distance between transmitter and receiver, the signal strength is quartered. A directional antenna does not increase the total strength of a transmitted signal, but it restricts the area covered, thereby increasing the effective signal strength accordingly. If you restrict the signal to a 90° arc instead of 360° (for example), you've quadrupled the signal strength in that arc, and thereby doubled the effective range, but only up to the line of sight limit.

Thus a directional antenna mounted higher than your existing antenna should give you the best results by increasing both signal strength and line of sight distance.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Protagonist, I understand the signal strength thing (I've been running a 36mi Wifi 802.11 link since 2005 out to an off shore island). My point is that I haven't seen signal strength to be an issue. Maybe the day I camp in a deep forest and I wish I could get through the canopy. That was my question... Also, I wonder whether there are any tricks to get around the distance limitation.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
Protagonist, I understand the signal strength thing (I've been running a 36mi Wifi 802.11 link since 2005 out to an off shore island). My point is that I haven't seen signal strength to be an issue. Maybe the day I camp in a deep forest and I wish I could get through the canopy. That was my question... Also, I wonder whether there are any tricks to get around the distance limitation.
And with that, we have passed the limits of my knowledge about the subject. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. In fact, I'm kind of surprised no one has up to now…
Old 02-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
You don't mention if you are running a booster but biggest gain might be getting something like the WeBoost 4G-X. That would be a good next step. After that then a WeBoost directional Yagi would be a logical step.

Good review of the WeBoost 4G-X on the Technomadia rvmobileinternet.com site.

I use the 4G-X and start with the a WeBoost trucker antenna and if that doesn't do it try the WeBoost Yagi. If still no usable signal I would need to move but haven't had that situation happen yet with these tools.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I don't think that many realize the timing limitations of cell service that you mention in your first post. I have run into the same issue. Just having a signal does not mean that you can use it. Apparently cell towers have limits set in them as to how far the signal can be received and used so atmospheric skip and other things of that nature do not let a tower work outside of a limited range, no matter the signal strength. I have read it is in the 25 to 35 mile range, but I am not sure of that. And it may vary by tower too. So, a directional antenna within the tower set range will improve the signal, especially inside a metal sheathed trailer, but will not change the overall range set by timing.

Maybe someone else who is associated with the cell industry can help with the range of a tower as set by timing. I have seen this mentioned now and then, but have not located any good article or explanation about it. The one article I did see mentioned the milage limit I mentioned above.

I go to a Forest Service lookout at 7000' and you can see the town with a Verizon tower, which is about 40 miles away. I get about a 2 bar service signal, but you cannot make any voice connection as the distance is beyond what the tower is set for apparently. However, it is interesting that I can make my MiFi work at that same lookout location, so apparently I am out of the voice range but not the data range. Strange, huh?

So, a directional antenna might improve a week signal if it is in the tower set range, enough to use it, but it would not change the tower set milage range.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Idroba: thanks for that info! Great info!!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
With the help of Google, here is some more reference to timing and other limits of cell phone reception. The Wikipedia reference is especially good.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/far-c...nal-32124.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
YES.

Do any of the people who responded use one?

I am going to recommend you match the directional and omni to a WeBoost Drive 4G-X without that you are kind of wasting your money. I have to work on the road, every day. And we boondock/dry camp exclusively. We've been boondocking for the past 3 months nonstop and I've had to use the directional twice. It's a huge improvement when you can point it at the antenna on the tower.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have satellite TV and practically never use my TV antenna. Could I take my antenna off the mast and replace it with one of these gizmos?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have satellite TV and practically never use my TV antenna. Could I take my antenna off the mast and replace it with one of these gizmos?
See my photo above. That's what I did.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
> I am going to recommend you match the directional and omni to a WeBoost Drive 4G-X without that you are kind of wasting your money.

Why??? I have an antenna connector on the JetPack as I mentioned. External omni plugs straight into the Jetpack. Why would I get a WeBoost?

> We've been boondocking for the past 3 months nonstop and I've had to use the directional twice.

Mhh, doesn't sound like a great ROI to me, but to each their own... What was the improvement of using the directional over the omni?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
In addition to a directional antenna, you will need to know the best direction to point it. You can use antennasearch.com to find sites, althought you may need to put in a dummy location because it has distance search limits.

It will tell you every antenna in your area, including the antenna at the nearest MacDonalds restaurant and tow truck operator. You may need to sort through lots of data. There are other apps out there that have filters.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Wilson repeater

Google Wilson cellular repeater I have one and it works great with all bands.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
One situation where it may be advantageous to have the directional capability would be where a closer tower may be providing a lower signal strength (because of shadowing) but your device is attaching to the stronger but farther away tower. By pointing the antenna towards the closer tower you may succeed in lowering the delay time to an acceptable number. Here in the Minnesota area we probably will never see such a scenario as it isn't all that flat. I expect to see great use in my directional antenna in improving my internet speeds by having greater signal strength (installing it in April).
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
I work full time from my Airstream. 100% of the time on the phone with Internet.

We use a trucker's antenna (comparable & recommended by Wilson) mounted on a 35 pole from Lowe's connected to a Wilson 4Gx WiFi booster which then routes (wirelesses signal) to my cell phones an my Verizon Jetpack. Works great in almost all but the most remote locations. The line of site is greatly increased. And of course if you also had a directional antennae too then, "Bob's your uncle".
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
> I am going to recommend you match the directional and omni to a WeBoost Drive 4G-X without that you are kind of wasting your money.

Why??? I have an antenna connector on the JetPack as I mentioned. External omni plugs straight into the Jetpack. Why would I get a WeBoost?

> We've been boondocking for the past 3 months nonstop and I've had to use the directional twice.

Mhh, doesn't sound like a great ROI to me, but to each their own... What was the improvement of using the directional over the omni?
Doesn't sound like great like great ROI? I basically wouldn't of been able to camp in about 90% of the places we've been the past year without the WeBoost. Most of the time I use the Omni, occasionally I use the Directional.

But I almost ALWAYS use the WeBoost. But yea, to each their own. You're getting a small uptick with the antenna plugged directly into the mifi.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
I work full time from my Airstream. 100% of the time on the phone with Internet.

We use a trucker's antenna (comparable & recommended by Wilson) mounted on a 35 pole from Lowe's connected to a Wilson 4Gx WiFi booster which then routes (wirelesses signal) to my cell phones an my Verizon Jetpack. Works great in almost all but the most remote locations. The line of site is greatly increased. And of course if you also had a directional antennae too then, "Bob's your uncle".
I must not have been clear in my initial post. I have the same omni antenna you have, just connected directly to a JetPack/Mifi. Works great. In fact, works so well that I even have signal when the tower is too far to actually connect to due to timing issues. Hence my pondering whether a directional antenna actually does any good over the omni. I mean, what's the point of pulling even further away towers in if I can't connect to them anyway.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Doesn't sound like great like great ROI? I basically wouldn't of been able to camp in about 90% of the places we've been the past year without the WeBoost. Most of the time I use the Omni, occasionally I use the Directional.

But I almost ALWAYS use the WeBoost. But yea, to each their own. You're getting a small uptick with the antenna plugged directly into the mifi.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think you're not actually reading what I write. The external omni plugged into the Mifi works so well that I wonder why bother with a directional. I had planned to upgrade to a directional, but the reality I see is that the omni on its own pulls in towers that are so far away that they won't let me connect. Hence, I'm doubting that adding a directional has any benefit. You are actually confirming that literally, so thank you!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Amazing. That hasn't been my experience. You should share these amazing boondocking locations with wonderful LTE coverage. The omni alone for me was fine on the east coast, out west, useless.

Don't buy one. Save your pennies.