Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
signal strength inside an Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
As a wannabe AS owner, and an almost iPhone owner (ordered it yesterday), I began wondering if the aluminum hull of an AS would interfere with the 3G signal of the new iPhones?

The same question would apply to a laptop that has 3G built in, or accessing the WIFI signal at a campground.

I plan to keep in touch with my business while on the road, but wonder about any interference.

Anyone have experience running these devices from inside an AS?

Thanks!
I've been using an Apple Powerbook wirelessly inside our Airstream for 2.5 years with no noticeable difference in signal strength inside or outside. Perhaps the windows are enough to mitigate whatever loss might result from being inside aluminum.

The bigger problem is finding an RV park with Wi-Fi that works as advertised. Sure many claim to have Wi-Fi, but the reality is that mysteriously the system will always be down when you arrive. But, don't worry, we've called the provider who promises that we will be up shortly. Yeah, right.

Also, I have been using our iPhone since the first week it was released last year. The iPhone has proved to be much more useful than the elusive Wi-Fi in RV parks because the internet is accessible over the AT&T telephone network. With the iPhone 3G you will have an even better result: 3G, 2.5G and Wi-Fi as you choose.

Apple rocks!!!! Enjoy.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Baltimore , Maryland
Another Verizon user

Verizon USB VZacess card in my HP Laptop running Vista. $59.99 per month for 5GB limit. Works well, acceptable speed where ever cell phone reception is available.
Bambi75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Just came back from a mountain trip. My daughter and grand kids were along and she has an IPhone. While my Macbook did well in most areas with WIFI, her IPhone astonished me with it's performance. I've always carried two cell phones from different providers to insure a connection. She connected wherever we went with no problem and in the coach too!
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Verizon VZ Access. the card was built in to my Dell laptop. It's $59 a month but the coverage is good. I was getting reception at Dead Horse Point SP in the middle of nowhere in southern Utah

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
As a wannabe AS owner, and an almost iPhone owner (ordered it yesterday), I began wondering if the aluminum hull of an AS would interfere with the 3G signal of the new iPhones?

The same question would apply to a laptop that has 3G built in, or accessing the WIFI signal at a campground.

I plan to keep in touch with my business while on the road, but wonder about any interference.

Anyone have experience running these devices from inside an AS?

Thanks!
Yes I do and I just cancelled my service with AT&T for their 3G network (HSDPA) that the iPhones use (taking a $175 cancellation hit).

I telecommute and a fast internet connection is essential for me to do my job and I found that for a while my Sierra Aircard worked near the botom threshold of acceptability, provided that I used an external antenna located outside of the trailer. The signal inside without it was just too sporadic, even though AT&T's software said it was "Good". I have a cell antenna about 2 miles away at each end of my trailer.

I used it for about a year more or less acceptably until the new iPhones went on sale. Then my response went to bad and the signal even dropped from a normal of -87dBm to around -104dBm and the network dropped back to 2G (EDGE) speeds a lot of the time (with absolutely no changes at my end).

After being unable to do my job for several days while an endless series of tech support chimps continued to read me the "Reboot your computer and call back" line from their script, I had cable internet installed (I'm in a fixed location) and then I told AT&T to stow it really deep.

If you decide that you can put up with a sporadic connection it might still work for you but I would plan on getting an external antenna (with 10 dB gain or better).

Be sure to make your mind up for certain before the end of your grace period or you'll be stuck with a two year contract that will cost you $175 to get out of if the service proves to be unacceptable.

I forgot about another fast one that AT&T pulled - when I signed up I had a 60 day grace period and my response was really good, but at the end of that time and I was locked into the contract they changed my routing priority at their end and my response dropped almost in half (as measured by speakeasy.net).
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #26
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
After being unable to do my job for several days while an endless series of tech support chimps continued to read me the "Reboot your computer and call back" line from their script, I had cable internet installed (I'm in a fixed location) and then I told AT&T to stow it really deep.
I almost fell off my chair on that one Crusty! Gotta remember that line when dealing with IT...!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
here are the three satelllite dish companies i know of for home use: Wild Blue, Starband,

and direct way (hughes/DTV) Which of these has equipment for mobile applications?
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
We've had better luck the past year with the generic Wi-Fi service at most private campgrounds. But with a good amount of phone-based Internet use lately, I'm tempted to look at Sprint's mobile broadband access, especially when we're out in the west Texas open spaces. The coverage maps are sometimes misleading.

For those that have Sprint Mobile Broadband/EVDO, any feedback on quality of service?

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Yes I do and I just cancelled my service with AT&T for their 3G network (HSDPA) that the iPhones use (taking a $175 cancellation hit). .
We had the same thing happen with Verizon, returned the wi-fi within
the time date and got the $ 175.00 bill. Finally gave up trying to get it
straight with those boneheads.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I can’t speak about West Texas, specifically, but we’ve had Sprint, since February, and have been happy with them (knock on wood). There have only been a few times we couldn’t get online, and I’m sure the signal was blocked by the mountains.

Saying you have a Mac is like saying Airstream. They get that glazed look in their eyes, and “We don’t do that”.

I highly recommend these people - 3Gstore.com, Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems, Antennas, Amplifiers, Routers
We’re “getting online” illiterate, but they were very patient. My husband called, and told them what we had, what we wanted to do, and they matched up everything. They sent it out ready to go, all we had to do was plug it in. We got a small “travel proof” Cradlepoint router, and a Sprint card that plugs into it’s USB port. We have two iBooks, so we can both get online, anywhere in, or around the motorhome.

Tracy
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I dont have mobile internet. But I do have a Sprint/Nextel phone while the phone works great the costumer service is terrible but I guess that is par for the course when dealing over the phone if you have Sprint I would check my statement real close each month they wil try to charge you just whatever they want. I got a bill 3 months ago for 715.00 I refused to pay it they argued with me over it a couple times and sent me another for 240.00 I stll did not pay now this months bill is minus 75.40 can you figure that one out let me know???? My normal bill is approx. 105.00

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6 View Post
I dont have mobile internet. But I do have a Sprint/Nextel phone while the phone works great the costumer service is terrible but I guess that is par for the course when dealing over the phone if you have Sprint I would check my statement real close each month they wil try to charge you just whatever they want. I got a bill 3 months ago for 715.00 I refused to pay it they argued with me over it a couple times and sent me another for 240.00 I stll did not pay now this months bill is minus 75.40 can you figure that one out let me know???? My normal bill is approx. 105.00

It's what happens when the tecommunications industry buys the best politicians they can find... Seems every carrier has their own little scam going in terms of fees, cancellations, minutes, upgrades, etc. And there's no set standard practice regulating these guys as to their tricks.

We had an event with Verizon once where we had called them regarding a billing dispute, which after several phone calls, we were able to correct. Next thing we found out is that they had somehow categorized the series of phone calls to correct the billing errors as a plan 'upgrade', as if we had added services thus, they extended our contract!

Needless to say, we had a difference in opinion as to accurate & honest billing being standard practice vs. an upgrade But then, with cell phones.... maybe not?

Dang, I used t think old Ma Bell's landline billing statements were ridiculous! Looks pretty straightforward and simple in comparison... Anyway, when this "contract" expires, we'll grab some iPhones...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
internet access in areas not accessible to cell phone

i plan to be in an area where cell phones do not work.
there is also no DSL or high speed internet except via
satellite. I am investigating mobile equipment. Laurel
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm going to plug Rich Charpentier's ("gadgetat") book, The Digital RV...this is a great book in its 2nd edition with plain talk about all things digital and RVing...gret if you have quetions about what to do and how...to get connected. You can get it through his blog: ttp://www.hikenbike.net/wordpress/ Click on "Digital RV" on the right side of the page to take you to a blurb about the book... He's in the process of changing webhosts, so if he's down give it abother try later...but knowing him, it will be seamless... (I do not get a commission, either...I'm just a fan!)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
An update: I called AT&T on Jul25 to cancel my aircard service and they assured me that they would cancel it. Today they just sent me a bill for another month of service and I called and discovered that they hadn't cancelled my service as I directed them to. They are cancelling it now and prorating the amount that I had paid in advance back to the Jul25 date, but if I hadn't called today they would have been perfectly happy to continue charging me.

If you sign up with AT&T, keep a close on your billing because their errors are never in your favor.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Rollin' - Most all of the replies above deal with cellular connections. But like you're situation, many of the places I go also do not have cell service, etc. There are at least three extant two-way satellite Internet providers, but it appears to me that only Hughes at least tacitly acknowledges into the RV market (anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here). In fact, at least one other potential provider explicitly says they do not support RV Internet. Here's a reseller of HughesNet that provides the whole package:

Dustyfoot Tripod System - HughesNet - Mobile Satellite Internet

usual disclaimers; I've got no relationship with them, and in fact don't yet own one of their systems and indeed haven't talked with anyone who does. Would love to hear from anyone with actual, hands-on experience. Baud rate seems pretty low for the price, but there doesn't seem to be much alternative for really remote locations.

If you learn anything useful, please post here or start a new thread.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #37

2008 31' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Hello! Brand new to the forums...so happy to have found it. I was turned on to a product called WiFi In Motion. (www.wifiinmotion.com). I found them via an Airstream blog located here: VIDEO: Wifi in Motion | The Long, Long Honeymoon

The system costs less than the in-motion satellite systems, and leverages cellular networks. We use it on the road, in-motion, and when we get home (part-timers), we take the router that comes with the kit out of our Airstream, and we plug it in at home (this provides our Internet at home and on the road).

Hope this helps!
rjohnsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello everyone... We are snowbirds from Canada. Internet is important for us to keep in touch with family. We have had wireless Sprint for 2 weeks now and love it. Using Skype for talking to family and friends. Works great right now. Tried Magic Jack tooooooooooooooooo choppy for talking. Right now we are parked until the end of December and than will be on the road to Texas and that will be the true test..happy so far..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have a Cradlepoint router with a Sprint feed...bought the antenna to boost cell reception(but haven't yet installed it), and it is supposed to extend our wifi to 600 feet...
we are able to supply folks near us(150 ft) with wifi...haven't found a place we can't get service, yet...even in the desert south of Quartzsite...so far, we are very happy with what we have...will watch the billing, though, as most large providers seem to 'tack' on extra charges without notifying the customer.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Clearwire only work in cities where it is installed.

And that concludes my 2000th post!
CONGRATS ON YOUR 2000th POST! WOW!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote