Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Installing two Dish "Walleys" and new Playmaker Dish

Recently I was at the Hershey RV show and I began talking to a rep from Winegard. He told me about a new Dish antenna they came out with that allows you to watch two different channels at the same time on two TVs.

Just as I finished talking to him, my wife walked up and said "It can do that? Were in!" We bought a new dish and a second Wally receiver.

So how does it do this? Dish now has a satellite at 61.5 degrees that contains all the programming channels that previously took 3 satellites. The antenna will still see the other three (110° (SD/HD) 119° (SD/HD) 129° (SD/HD), but with the single satellite it allows the dish antenna to stay in place. That allows the two receivers to see all channels without moving the antenna. In theory, both receivers should sync up to one satellite.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...receiver-black

I will go through the process of installing this in our 30 Classic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7965_res (5).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	352347  

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The Playmaker Disk has two ports on the side instead of one. One is called Main, the other is Sec.

You have to run two satellite cables to the trailer. One is supplied with the dish and I had another cable from my original dish. Both are the same length and I bonded them together with strips of gaffers tape every foot. We very seldom use the cable connection so it was to be sacrificed for the second satellite run. Getting to the "cable tv" connection inside was as simple as taking the Wingard booster apart to retrieve the cable. In a 2019 Classic 30, the booster is near the TV in the dining room. I then had to extend the "cable tv" to the electronics cabinet above. I made a 6' extension cable to add to the existing cable. I had a plastic tool used for cleaning drains to pull the wire through the wall up into the electronics cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7961_res (3).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	352348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7958_res (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	352349  

Name:	IMG_7959_res (2).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	352350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7962_res (4).jpg
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	352351  

Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Interested to see how this works. We currently use a King Dish Tailgater with two receivers, but the second receiver can only pickup the channels on the satellite that the main receiver is using. How does the dish know to find 61.5 rather than the other satellites?
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Airstream's electronic cabinet is a rat's nest of wires. It is very difficult to work with as there is so little room. I modified my box on a previous addition of the HDMI 4 way splitter, so I could get wired out the top of the box. Essentially I cut the back top shorter for cables to get through.

I choose not to mount the second receiver on top of the first as there would be a heat problem. The cabinet doors have "bumpers" on the doors and a slight gap all around the door to let cooling air in. The cabinet next to the electronics also has this gap. Stacking the receivers would send heat from the bottom one into the top one. I choose to mount the other sideways. I also purchased two internet WiFi recievers that hook to the back of each receiver's USB. These have to be Dish Network brand but can be had for $28 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have just one hooked up in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7964_res (5).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	352352  

Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I forgot how time-consuming the process is to get a receiver "authorized" but I sat through 45 minutes with tech support talking about the weather as the receiver downloaded 2 updates and all that it needs to work. It was finally finished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7960_res (3).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	352355  

Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Once everything was updated and authorized, you are supposed to start with the receiver hooked to the "main" connection on the dish antenna. I will have to mark each connection as this could be a pain! The first receiver did its dance that takes about 10 minutes finding the satellite and it was working. You then let the other receiver go through the process. While it still has to search, it chugs along and causes the first receiver to lose signal on and off. Dish should fix this. Why does it have to search at all?

They finally were both working.

Is it worth all this? The new satellite at 61.5 is higher and about South-South East of Ohio. It is much more accessible as it is higher in the sky. You also only need to find one hole in the trees to see the satellite, much easier than the 3 Satellites previously. It can also still use the other three, but if you change the station on the second TV you risk the dish moving to pick up one of three sats. I have the HDMI splitter to manage that if need be putting both TVs on the same receiver.

It was a half days work and seems like it will be useful on those rainy days and most of all, mamma's happy!

Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
One satellite rather than three would be a great addition. How do you direct the dish from Eastern to Western satellites?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I have both a Tailgater and Pathway X2. The Pathway X2 satellite dish is much bigger than that of the Tailgater - probably close to twice the diameter so it does a much better job of getting satellite reception. (We have huge/tall Alder trees up here - 140-160 feet tall so during the summer and early fall before their needles drop, getting reception from all 3 satellites is virtually impossible.) Winter, when the needles are off is not a problem. I spent a full 2 weeks moving the satellite antenna to various locations trying to get reception this spring and summer. I can only get one satellite.

Let's hope Winegard/Dish come out with a firmware/software update so ANY of these antennas can now use the single satellite rather than trying to acquire signals from 3 satellites.
I also ditched my Wally for the larger VIP receiver, which in my opinion has much better software that provides a lot more information on the setup process.

One other item, with the Tailgater, even a light rain raises havoc with reception - at least here. I bought a full size satellite dish and hope to get it installed soon.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleR View Post
One satellite rather than three would be a great addition. How do you direct the dish from Eastern to Western satellites?
When you first turn it on it asks for the state and also the satellite to use. These are in two groups now. One group is the 61.5 with 110 and 119. That choice will give you all the channels on 61.5 only using that satellite if it can lock on it.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
When you first turn it on it asks for the state and also the satellite to use. These are in two groups now. One group is the 61.5 with 110 and 119. That choice will give you all the channels on 61.5 only using that satellite if it can lock on it.
Can you get your locals on 61.5 like the normal on the three Western satellites?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Can you get your locals on 61.5 like the normal on the three Western satellites?
Yes.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Yes.
Thanks for your time. It might be a good option when we head to the NE and can’t get the Western satellites. Have a great day.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Thanks for your time. It might be a good option when we head to the NE and can’t get the Western satellites. Have a great day.
Yes it is a great option for the east. Satellite 129 is very low on the horizon here in Ohio and even worst on the east coast. It is still there unless houses and trees block it.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Interesting -
http://www.tech-faq.com/what-are-the...atellites.html

Apparently Dish decided to use the "spare" 61.5 satellite?
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #15

2020 25' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
For the life of me I cannot figure out why AS hides the SAT cable. I spent two hours last weekend looking for the cable. It was not until I completely unscrewed the radio/blue ray holder and then took out the partition where the radio speaker is. I then found the cable laying in there among the jumble mess of wires.

Not only did it take me two hours to unassembled and reassemble the cabinet, I spent two hours plugged into the cable outlet on the exterior of our Globetrotter trying to get my Dish connected. Basically wasted a whole day until I got on this forum for help. Should of done that first...LOL. Anyway, nice to know Dish is making improvements. I just wish there 45 minute wait time to talk to customer service and then another 45 minutes to get through the setup process.

So if you're planning on doing this, set aside at least a half a day to get this all configured. In the end it was worth it.
barnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
I also ditched my Wally for the larger VIP receiver, which in my opinion has much better software that provides a lot more information on the setup process.
Oops! I may be wrong but I think the VIP reciever is actually a very old receiver from Dish. Dish factory refurbished thousands and brought them back on the market and sell them now as a cheaper solution at $49. They say it is an adequate receiver for the mobile market. Don't ask it to do the 61.5 satellite.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Ok Turk, your thread stimulates a lot of questions, I’ve been thinking of adding sat to my 2018 Classic for a while now. As I have Dish at home, it would be easy to add one or more receivers to my account.

1. In your 2 receiver setup, are both Wally’s in the media cabinet above dinette?

2. Did you co-opt the DVD HDMI cable to feed the bedroom TV?

3. How do you control the bedroom’s receiver from the bedroom? Do you run into the same problem of front tv remote affecting the rear, and vice-versa?

4. Do you know whether the 61.5 satellite can be used from western US? We have yet to travel east of Denver... It is really the 61.5 that makes the two receiver option even feasible
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Ok Turk

4. Do you know whether the 61.5 satellite can be used from western US? We have yet to travel east of Denver... It is really the 61.5 that makes the two receiver option even feasible
Actually you can use the King Dish Tailgater which has two ports (Main and Aux) on the dish and two receivers in the trailer to receive the Westerb satellites. The only restriction is that both receivers can only receive channels that are on the same satellite that the Main receiver is using.

Also I have my Main receiver wedged between the lounge television and the wall using Remote 1 and the bedroom television receiver is in the Blu-ray cabinet using Remote 2. You just have to be mindful controlling the televisions since they are thr same brands for volume and on/off functions.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Ok Turk, your thread stimulates a lot of questions, I’ve been thinking of adding sat to my 2018 Classic for a while now. As I have Dish at home, it would be easy to add one or more receivers to my account.

1. In your 2 receiver setup, are both Wally’s in the media cabinet above dinette?

2. Did you co-opt the DVD HDMI cable to feed the bedroom TV?

3. How do you control the bedroom’s receiver from the bedroom? Do you run into the same problem of front tv remote affecting the rear, and vice-versa?

1. Yes. Take a look at my original posts at the beginning of this thread. I did not mount them on top of each other as they would get too hot.

2. I have a 4 x 4 Mono price HDMI splitter for 4K. A bit pricey but very well made. You could use the 4 x 2 (two tv output) a lot cheaper at $57
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15378

3. Each remote is "paired" with the receiver. Even with the cabinet door shut it sees the receivers even from the bedroom. Probably using radio rather than infrared.

4. Download SatFinder Lite from your app store. It is free. You can locate all the satellites and their positions in real-time using your phone's camera. It's how I find where to locate my dish when we are setting up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sat image.jpg
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	352419  

Old 09-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
The Playmaker Disk has two ports on the side instead of one. One is called Main, the other is Sec.

You have to run two satellite cables to the trailer. One is supplied with the dish and I had another cable from my original dish. Both are the same length and I bonded them together with strips of gaffers tape every foot. We very seldom use the cable connection so it was to be sacrificed for the second satellite run. Getting to the "cable tv" connection inside was as simple as taking the Wingard booster apart to retrieve the cable. In a 2019 Classic 30, the booster is near the TV in the dining room. I then had to extend the "cable tv" to the electronics cabinet above. I made a 6' extension cable to add to the existing cable. I had a plastic tool used for cleaning drains to pull the wire through the wall up into the electronics cabinet.
I wish they could have a wireless 2nd receiver so I could go with Dish network. Since my Airstream is a 2000 model there is only one input for cable, which I am using with my DirecTV setup. I t only needs one coax cable to power multiple receivers on any channel. But I have to set up my big dish on a tripod every time we move.🙄

coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote