Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
We are , Relaxed
Question installing sirius radio in 07 international f b

I would like to install sirius radio in my 07 international fb. When i look for a way to run the antenna I get a bit nervous I can get behind the radio and see the insulation and when i look on the roof i can see were the radio antenna is. Now all I half to do is get the satellite receiver up their putting a hole in the roof and running a cable to the radio doing this with out a leak in the roof a not tearing up the in side,the insulation or the out side easy? would love some guidance.

rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are not crossing a rivet line, indicates framing under the skin, between the antenna location and the place where you are putting the radio you should be able to drill a hole in the roof, from the outside, and "Fish" a stiff wire down through that hole to a hole in the inside skin behind the radio. Fishing take a bit of skill and patience. If you go Fishing tie a string to the end of the wire and once you have found the inside hole pull the wire and string into the trailer. Now use the string to pull your antenna wire up to the roof. When attaching the string to the antenna wire make several clove hitches along the antenna wire and with electrical tape tape the string to the end of the antenna wire so it is a smooth tapering of the electrical tape. This will reduce the likely hood of catching end of the antenna wire in the insulation as you pull it through.

The newer trailer use 2 sided foam to mount the skin to the horizontal framing on the sides of the trailer. I do not think tape has replaced the rivets above the windows so check out the rivet lines to know where the framing is.

If there is a rivet line between the 2 locations I would say short of removing the inner skin or drilling all the way through and running the wire on the inside of the trailer it is out of the question.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Yep, no inner skin in the upper endcaps in the FB models. I'd say drill an appropriate hole directly adjacent to the FM antenna in the end cap, thread the antenna wire down to the radio and call it a day.
Chris and Christina- Boerne, TX / Evergreen, CO - TAC TX-7
2008 27'FB Int'l Signature CCD
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Not sure if this will work for you, but one of the members here mounted the antenna on his Fantastic Fan, just above the screen, in the corner if I remember correctly. Said the reception was fine and no hole in the roof.
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2007 16' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
I looked at many methods and found the simplest to be to attached the antenna to the frame next to the jack. I ran the wire up the front and in through the front window. From there it goes directly into the front cabinet where the stereo is located. But thats on the 16' bambi. The only noticeable wire is about 1 foot from in the front of the rig. It was very simple and has been working with no problems for over a year.
DandB^2 is offline   Reply With Quote