Old 02-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
And if you're driving to Alaska thru Canada, remember the rules are different in an International country. Susan has a family member that is Canadian. He has found that it's cheaper buy a temporary pay-as-you-go phone when they are here in the USA than using their Canadian phone here.

Jim
For Canadian residents reading this, we used to switch phones when we crossed the border too, but have since found that Wind Mobile provides seamless, inexpensive roaming in the USA.

Grant

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
That is a really good point. Update files can sometimes be huge. My understanding is that with Win10, you can't turn this "feature" off. Do you know if it can be manually set to only download over a wired or WiFi connection? We haven't upgraded anything to Win10 yet, so I don't have a machine to check this.

Jim
In Windows 10 you can turn any WIFI connection to metered to stop automatic updates. If the connection is wired you can only turn off the update services. There is no feature as yet to allow us to set wired connections to metered. I run versions of OS's as VM's for testing purposes and they are all viewed by the OS as wired. Took me a little bit to realize that the Windows 10 VM was auto updating and some research to find out I couldn't set the connection to metered.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
In Windows 10 you can turn any WIFI connection to metered to stop automatic updates. If the connection is wired you can only turn off the update services. There is no feature as yet to allow us to set wired connections to metered. I run versions of OS's as VM's for testing purposes and they are all viewed by the OS as wired. Took me a little bit to realize that the Windows 10 VM was auto updating and some research to find out I couldn't set the connection to metered.
Good info. I was under the understanding that Microsoft would not allow the Update feature to be disabled in Win10. Something about protecting the OS for everybody, blah, blah. It does make sense that in certain circumstances it can be disabled. Just logical.

I'm a minor league Geek, can you tell?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Stop automatic downloads from Win10

For Windows 10 you need to designate your internet connection as being "metered". This will stop the automatic downloading. Google "Windows 10 metered connections". Here is one such article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29531...-own-pace.html
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Good info. I was under the understanding that Microsoft would not allow the Update feature to be disabled in Win10. Something about protecting the OS for everybody, blah, blah. It does make sense that in certain circumstances it can be disabled. Just logical.

I'm a minor league Geek, can you tell?

Jim
I can tell!

Here is a little more information about this. I have been running in metered mode for a while now. Depending on which device is charged, I will use either one of the cell phones or the jetpack(std) for WIFI. What I found was that if you don't get all the devices set to metered fast enough you will get partial downloads of the updates. Windows will then hang during download (when you are on a land line and not using cell data) if the time between updates is too great causing the downloads to get out of sync. You will then need to perform a cache clear on the update files. This will only be needed if the update download fails to complete.

1. Stop these two services, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Windows Update. (you might have to set them to disabled to prevent an auto start)

2. Go to the Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory and delete everything.

3. Then Start both services in step one.

The update will restart and the downloads will complete normally. These are also the same 2 services to stop when on an Ethernet Connection to prevent automatic downloading of updates (or to prevent Windows 10 from updating at all). I think you will like Windows 10 and would recommend it, but I too am a geek. YMMV
Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I am not a computer geek

I'm sorry, as a long time Windows professional geek, I can't stand Windows 10. It looks like an interface designed by a demented, underpaid sea slug.

I'm stuck with supporting it, but that does not make me hate it less. Sorry.

To me, it is non-intuitive, clumsy, and full of glitches, far worse than Windows 8. Sadly Windows 7 is not supported enough any more, so I'm stuck with 10 on a horribly expensive ruggedized laptop.

I'm seriously considering dumping the whole thing and going 100% Apple or Linux. Sigh.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I'm sorry, as a long time Windows professional geek, I can't stand Windows 10. It looks like an interface designed by a demented, underpaid sea slug.

I'm stuck with supporting it, but that does not make me hate it less. Sorry.

To me, it is non-intuitive, clumsy, and full of glitches, far worse than Windows 8. Sadly Windows 7 is not supported enough any more, so I'm stuck with 10 on a horribly expensive ruggedized laptop.

I'm seriously considering dumping the whole thing and going 100% Apple or Linux. Sigh.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
You can always try something like this...

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ma...like-windows-7
Old 04-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #22

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
As a trivial sidenote, putting your laptop in Battery Saver mode freezes any updates as well. I run in that mode most all the time on my laptop. Permanently disabling the Windows Update service also works....just remember when you are home to restart it. You could create a quick batch file to disable and then restart the services when coming or going.

I know the last time I was in Alaska that a friend/colleague had Verizon and they worked really well. I felt sorry for him because it was work that was calling. Haha. Being with T-Mobile, I used the excuse my phone didn't work :-).

It all depends where you're going in Alaska, though. Anything outside of the big providers is gonna be slow and pricey and skinny on data.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I used to be a minor-league computer geek when I was working for a living. Not anymore. Computers are getting more complicated just as age is causing me to lose whatever brain cells survived the alcohol consumption of my younger years.

So I'm thinking of doing it the easy way. Laptop with Won't-Goes 10 stays home, and an Android OS tablet computer travels with me. Haven't made that decision just yet, still pondering, but the notion is looking better all the time.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you really, really don't want windows update running on your win 10 computer, go to "services.msc", scroll to near the bottom to "windows uodate", and select "stop service", then "disable".
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It works.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote