Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
So many answers...

Samsung - Wireless Adapter
Model: WIS12ABGNX SKU: 4860965

I found this on the Best Buy site. At this point, all I want to do is make my Blu-Ray player pickup my house wifi so I can watch Netflix. I may expand all of this as time goes on. I don't want to run all of my devices right now. I have thought of purchasing one of those "hotspot" things for phones/computers to work anywhere (but haven't done that yet)... I might if I can get my bluray player to stream Netflix!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
Here's my answer...

As I'm pulling out my documentation for the blu-ray player...guess what it says?

My Player is Model BDF5100

*Requires Samsung LinkStick Wireless Device -- after promoting all this wireless stuff.

Here's the link. $50.

LinkStick ™ Wireless LAN Adaptor (WIS12ABGNX) | TV Accessories

Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
Conflicting info...

Does My BD-F5100 Support A Wireless Network Connection? : Bluray Players | Samsung

AND the Samsung website says it doesn't support ANY wireless network connection..

Jeez... looks like I'll just buy a player that's wifi enabled...
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
As I'm pulling out my documentation for the blu-ray player...guess what it says?

My Player is Model BDF5100

*Requires Samsung LinkStick Wireless Device -- after promoting all this wireless stuff.

Here's the link. $50.

LinkStick ô Wireless LAN Adaptor (WIS12ABGNX) | TV Accessories
I see where your Blu-ray has a USB port but I don't find anything in the owner's manual about using the wireless adapter in it. I have a media player with 2 USB ports but it came with a wireless adapter. I've tried another one in those ports and it ignores it, only the delivered adapter will work.

Considering you will spend $50 for that adapter or $99 for the Roku media player (and have to learn that) or $$$ for all the wireless bridge hardware and trouble of setting it up, if all you want to do is watch Netflix in your driveway (or campground with wireless) I'd suggest you just go buy a newer Blu-ray player equipped with WiFi. It's the cheapest and quickest way to go. The BD-F5700 has built in WiFi and sells for $99. There are many others out there to choose from, maybe cheaper.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
How to make my blu-ray player work wirelessly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
A wireless router provides a wireless access point. You need a wireless client adapter or a bridge such as the WET-11 someone suggested. An adapter such as Amazon.com: IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi N Adapter for Home or Office GWU627 (Black): Electronics would also work and might be less expensive.

Al

Just to clarify many wireless routers also have hardwire hookups as does the one I mentioned so it adapts.

The problem though is that while you may be able to get a signal with a thumb drive unit or roku whatever, the antennas are weak. It may work only in your driveway if even there. My home signal for example extends halfway down my driveway but if I pull my truck up and get in it, my laptop can no longer get signal but my phone can barely. Imagine trying to use netflix or some wifi at a campground with only a thumb drive antenna inside the AS. Your bdf5100 has an Ethernet port
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just use a ROKU plugged into a spare HDMI port on the TV. I have a WiFi Ranger which usually assures me of a good WiFi signal, as long as one is available. On our recent 3 week trip, at least half of the campgrounds had no WiFi or Wifi that was just barely able to access e-mail, not even capable for web pages.
My ROKU is great in the driveway or at the local KOA.
Larry
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #21
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If you go into the TV or Blu-ray settings and find a place for an Internet connection and there is only a setup for a wired ethernet connection, you don't have wireless. You'd have to purchase something like a Roku player to plug into an HDMI jack on the TV (there is a model of Roku that supports a composite connection but you need to purchase the adapter, separately).

What are the model numbers of the Blu-ray and TV? We can look them up and give you more information.
What's odd about the whole thing is that the Netflix logo (and others) appear on the TV, as if the Blueray was wireless or the TVs were Smart TVs. It makes no sense to me why that would be if they can't access through the TV or the BlueRay.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How to make my blu-ray player work wirelessly?

It surprised me too AS picked a Blu Ray player with a wired connection.

For a non-techie, I'd say replacing it with a Wireless player, or upgrading to a smart TV, is the way to go.

Since I am a bit of a nerd, I built my own booster network for my 2016 FC. I use two routers, one flashed with DD-WRT firmware running as a Bridge connected to the camp, and one running regular Linksys software to supply WiFi all my devices in the coach. Since my DD-WRT router has an external antenna jack, I use a short cable to a 9 dB antenna.

I just ran a short Cat 5 ethernet cable from My Linksys router to the AS BlueRay player. If you have a decent WiFi connection (2 Mbps or better) video streaming off say Amazon Prime is pretty good. Note: I do not stream video normally, as I do not want to be a 'data hog' on camp wifi. I did it more as a curiosity, really.

ďCharacter is doing the right thing when nobodyís looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing thatís right is to get by, and the only thing thatís wrong is to get caught.Ē - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
We just took delivery on a 2017 FC 23FB and have this wired Ethernet only Bluray. I was flabbergasted, and contacted AS. They said something along the lines of "we don't provide wifi equipment". I pointed out that the wifi model of the Samsung is literally only about $10 more. Really? On a $65k+ TT?

Plugged a $39 Roku Streaming Stick into the spare HDMI port on the TV, power from the TV USB port, and called it fixed. The Roku has far, far more streaming apps available than the Samsung anyway. Works just dandy (assuming you have campground wifi or a hotspot, which you would need in any case). We use a Roku at home as well, and all of our installed apps synced right up to the new stick.

First post, love the forum and glad to join the AS family!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I understand that you want to make the Blue-Ray player work but your cheapest, easiest and best quality option will be to get a device like an Amazon Fire TVstick or Roku/Apple tv device, as others have suggested. Admittedly, I haven't streamed from a Blu-Ray in some time but when I did it was clunky. And you can use the wireless devices on the road too. I plan to use my truck's 4G/LTE or use my iPhone as a hotspot on my upcoming trip.

Edit: ditto to the post above me.