Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Has anyone installed a Winegard Trav'ler

This is their latest RV product that has a larger reflector (dish) and three LNB's. It auto-aligns in stationary positions when parked, and doesn't have a 'dome' over it...

Winegard --- TRAV'LER Automatic Mult-Satellite Antenna

I'm planning to remove the old 'clothes rack' TV antenna and try to mount the Trav'ler near or over the old 'hole' in the roof.

I was just wondering if AS ever built for/aft reinforcements on the center of the roof between the ribs? I'm somewhat worried about the roof 'flexing' around the base of the Trav'ler.

Ray
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I've seen this type of dish installed on a AS. Camping world will do it for you. But, if you put a dish on a tripod, you still have the ability to get satellite when trees cover the AS. Alignment is no big deal once you've done it a few times.
Tom

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
What about removing the old crank up television antenna. Do some folks leave it on for nostalgia? My AS is not a show piece, I am looking for practicality. The tripod works for me and I don't have any problems setting it up anywhere.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Christmas Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5
What about removing the old crank up television antenna. Do some folks leave it on for nostalgia?
Some of em actually work
Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
analog is over because DTV will be the standard in 09.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5
analog is over because DTV will be the standard in 09.
HD still uses the same VHF/UHF antennas and will be the only way to pull in local stations that a traveling satellite receiver won't get if they our outside of their home area due to spotbeaming.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's a pic of the Trav'ler installed on our 28 ft Ambassador. Installation was rather easy, except that I had to pop down the center, inside skin the route the cables. I got lucky and used the old crank up antenna lead to snake the new cables around the front curved section inside.

The antenna unit fit in perfectly between the front two vents. It works great...unfolds, turns, finds the three sat signals, then 'tweaks' em' in for max signal...way cool! It's neat to watch it even 'slew' the dish for the final tweaking!

We picked up a 22 inch Sanyo HD LCD TV to run off the Sat signals (Dish Net). We don't yet have an HD sat receiver...that's the next upgrade...can't wait to get that HD picture while out in the boonies!

The Trav'ler has the capability to run three separate coax cables down from the antenna...I ran two in case I ever want a 2nd TV.

I'm in the process of upgrading the roof top vents to the Fantastic Fan units from Vintage Trailer supply...the ones that are gray color, with flat covers for AS's. I made myself a label saying "Close Fwd Vent before using Sat Antenna" and attached it to the Trav'ler control box...as the Fantastic Vent covers can open high enough for some possible interference as the Sat Ant swings around!

The actual 'dish' of the sat antenna is quite a bit larger on the Trav'ler units than the ones used in the enclosed domes...so signal strength should never be a problem...unless there's some foliage in the way, of course.

All in all, a good unit if you want the Max Sat signal...not as sleek looking as a dome, but I call it that 'Transformer' look.... Cooool.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Just had my dish installed. Works great. Now able to watch football in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	66789  
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote