Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Getting some free Bandwidth by using DirectTV Now Service and AT&T cellular phone

We have just started our Airstream life and one of the issues, I've read a lot about here is how expensive bandwidth is (with AT&T or Verizon ) while on the road.

We curretly have cable in our home, and I like watching certain channels (Velocity, CNN, History, etc) but we don't want to add a DIRECTV or DISH Network dish and service and the costs associated with that.

My solution. AT&T recently announced a new service called DIRECTV NOW that lets you stream channels on many different devices and also has a variety of available plansraging from $35.00 per month to $70.00 per month.

Up to this point your probably asking so what's the big deal? Well for us the big deal here is that if you currently have an AT&T Cell phone service plan that includes the ability to turn your phone into a hotspot then streaming will not count against data caps for its mobile phone users.

I put this idea to use in order to be able to watch unlimited cable like service in my Airstream. Here's how I do it.

1. I currently have an AT&T phone plan that allows me to use my phone (iPhone) as a hotspot.
2. I added an Amazon Firestick to my AS TV and dowloaded the DirectTV Now app.
3. When I want to watch DirecTV now, I first turn on the hotspot feature on my iPhone then I go to the Amazon Firestick and settings and select my hotspot as the WIFI network.
4. I launch the DirecTV NOW app and I can watch all the TV I want without it counting against my 15GB Data cap for my service.

I have watched more than two days of continuous TV on our Airstream this way and my data usage on my iPhone bill has not gone up.

As an added bonus you can also watch all the DirecTV Now content on your phone (cellular network) or other devices if they are connected to your hotspot

The only downside so far is that I must remember to turn on the hotspot on my iPhone, and choose it when using my Firestick.

I picked the "Just Right" $50.00 per month plan. It has an eighty channels and it's like being at home with my cable provider. You can even add HBO etc for as little as $5.00 extra per month.

As an added bonus when I joined they had an offer that gave us a free Apple TV box (latest model) if I paid three months in advance. Once I get the Apple TV then I can do the same thing on our other television in the Airstream and even wirelessly project the image from my iPhone directly to it.

I will report if I run into any issues, but I think it's a slick solution to a problem that would have costs me a lot of money to resolve otherwise. I hope it helps you.
NimbusSaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That's an intriguing idea. Please post back here after your second cell bill, and let us know if there were any hidden charges.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That's an intriguing idea. Please post back here after your second cell bill, and let us know if there were any hidden charges.

You bet. I suspect there won't be. My data has not increased after 2.5 days of continuous use
Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
I have had the service since day 1 works great as long as service is available. I use my ram truck u connect for 3g service when regular WiFi is not available this works great.
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
The last couple of trips, we've done the same thing with our cell phones as long as we had signal. I have Apple TV up front and a fire stick in back.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
The last couple of trips, we've done the same thing with our cell phones as long as we had signal. I have Apple TV up front and a fire stick in back.

Figured I was not alone, and happy to hear it has worked for several months.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
I have had the service since day 1 works great as long as service is available. I use my ram truck u connect for 3g service when regular WiFi is not available this works great.

You don't need to answer here, you can DM me, but I'd like to know how expensive UConnect is as I have a 2017 Ram 2500
Old 02-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Sent message
Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
I tried U-Connect a few years ago and it was slow (3G speeds). My phone sitting right next to my radio in the truck was picking up LTE speeds so having U Connect seemed pointless.

I just renegotiated my data plan with ATT. I was paying $256 per month for 3 cell phones, one hot spot and 25G of data per month. I am now paying $185 per month for 3 cell phones and unlimited data but they will throttle the data back to 3G speeds if I go over 22G during a billing cycle. That also includes a 10% discount for being an AARP member. I joined AARP yesterday ($15 per year) just to get the discount.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Great tip--thanks!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Save yourself some money and get better service by getting a MiFi on your cell carrier. It's ridiculous that in 2017 RAM is still pushing 3G service. GM has had LTE since 2015 at least.

I have a 2015 RAM that I'm extremely happy with except for this issue. And being a tech guy it irks me a lot. I carry a Verizon MiFI for business reasons, or we'll just use our iPhones if needed.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
DirectTV now is a great service...has bugs, still no real DVR feature unless your using a Xbox or Playstation app for it but its fantastic.

I am not sure if there still running it but if you paid for 3 months of services you get a free Apple TV which you can hook up to your TV and then hotspot your phone and stream Direct TV Now without hitting your data cap.

DVR features are supposed to hit this year.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
DirectTV now is a great service...has bugs, still no real DVR feature unless your using a Xbox or Playstation app for it but its fantastic.

I am not sure if there still running it but if you paid for 3 months of services you get a free Apple TV which you can hook up to your TV and then hotspot your phone and stream Direct TV Now without hitting your data cap.

DVR features are supposed to hit this year.
That exactly what I did. Now they are including free hbo. If you paid for 3 momths. Sweet
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I am also using DirecTV Now with Cricket's (AT&T) Unlimited data plan. Cricket is $55/mo with autopay. I found that a Screenbeam Mini2 http://www.screenbeam.com/products/screenbeam-mini2/ is the way to move the picture from my cellphone, with cast feature, to any non-smart TV. The Screenbeam does not require a WIFI connection like Firesticks, Chromecasts, AppleTVs and other devices. I also use DirecTV Now for my home cable needs with AppleTV and Cable Broadband. I have unlimited cable TV and data wherever I get an AT&T cellphone signal.

One note is that Cricket is unlimited by the amount of data, but it's data speed is throttled to 8 to 10 Mbps. I have not found any problem with using Cricket's thottled data speed. It is more than fast enough to stream live TV, which I believe needs 3Mbs. There is always a "catch" to unlimited plans, but Cricket's "catch" does not limit its usefulness to me since its above the rate needed to stream video.

P.S. I just noticed Cricket is now limiting its data to 22GB per month like everyone else: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/26...ottle-april-2/

Maybe I will be looking for a new provider again! There is no reason to be throttled at 8 Mbs AND further thottled after 22GB per month.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Questions:

Does it work with a hotspot device or just a cell phone acting as a hotspot?

What is the video quality? Is it just standard or does 1080p or 4K also work?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Getting some free Bandwidth by using DirectTV Now Service and AT&T cellular phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Questions:

What you stream is determined by your throughput 4k Netflix requires about 15 mb/sec which is why most people never see 4k. There working to get that down to 10 but it will be a while. 1080p requires 5-8 mb/sec.

Cell phone throughput varies greatly from insanely fast to stupid slow so results will vary.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Questions:

Only with cell but you can then use cell phone as hotspot. Won't work with Verizon jetpack.

I go 720 p no issues
Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

Since going with ATT unlimited Nolan there has been no issues. I use it all the time with the iPhone acting as a hot spot to Amazon stick or Apple TV.