Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Oh yeah... an amplifier and external antenna may really improve your handheld cellphone's performance and decrease drop-outs. This makes them as powerful as the old analog bag phone workhorses.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Here's the correct link to motosat.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Verizon

Recently set myself up for fulltiming via my cell phone and laptop with dial up as I can stand the slower speeds.....mostly e-mailing in my case with limited down loads and a bidding program for eBay.

The salesman did speak of broadband speeds systems but as I was not interested in the extra cost at this time, I can't quote him but you can look them up at www.verizon.com and then follow you nose to RV areas and systems...wireless, hi-speed, RVing, etc.... They also have toll free numbers for live reps....lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:28 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by George Jr.
Aaron,

I use Earthlink, if you go to their web page and do a search for local #'s you will find you can access from almost anywhere wihout using 800 #.

Regards,

George,
Want to guess who my ISP is I have been running Earthlink for over 5 years. It is a little pricey compared to some others, but for being on the road it has been the best so far.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Unhappy

hey im sorry..it didnt work...hope you check it though good experience/learning curve....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #20
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
The best options are going to cost a pretty penny. Well at least what would be considered a pretty penny to some.

Ground Control Satallite systems

Ground Control/Datastorm users site/forum

enjoy
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I am running Verizon Express Network tonight from south Texas. I have been at it since the middle of January. Spending the winter in the valley.
I have been getting kicked off quite a lot. Am zinging Verizon daily until we get some things fixed.
I think they are timing me off if I read the forum for more than about 6-7 minutes. They insist they are not. We are talking about it daily.
The system is working. I have a cell tower within 6 miles and I logged 1900 minutes since mid January.
I plan to get an external antennae this week to see if some of the drop outs are due to signal.
I could go to earthlink here in the park but, they close the building at night .
I check my bank statement, credit card statement, mutual funds, etc.
There are problems but, it is working fairly well with the exception of the drop outs.
They just did it to me. Had to log back on before I could send this reply.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

I know that this is no solution, but for $29.99 per month, you can join the T-Mobile Hot Spot Network and use the Internet wirelessly from practically any Kinkos or Starbucks in America.

With those two stores being all over the place, it's usually within a reasonable distance of many places and the speed is unbeatable.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Oakland , California
thanks a lot for all of your responses. I guess I'll give earthlink a try until the satellite comes more in my price range.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot321
I am running Verizon Express Network tonight from south Texas. I have been at it since the middle of January. Spending the winter in the valley.
I have been getting kicked off quite a lot. Am zinging Verizon daily until we get some things fixed.
I think they are timing me off if I read the forum for more than about 6-7 minutes. They insist they are not. We are talking about it daily.
The system is working. I have a cell tower within 6 miles and I logged 1900 minutes since mid January.
I plan to get an external antennae this week to see if some of the drop outs are due to signal.
I could go to earthlink here in the park but, they close the building at night .
I check my bank statement, credit card statement, mutual funds, etc.
There are problems but, it is working fairly well with the exception of the drop outs.
They just did it to me. Had to log back on before I could send this reply.
Wingfoot,
I have the same problem with the Sprint PCS. Best as I can figure is it is an issue with card parameter settings, and according to a techy friend of mine will vary based on a whole range of things, including but not limited to, distance from tower, type of tower, amount of traffic on that specific tower, as well as over all cell traffic, number of roamers on the tower, etc, etc, etc, I don't have an aircard...yet. I have been relying on a patch cable and my 3G phone, the speeds are very reasonable, except for the having to deal with the timeouts. We were out in Elk City, OK this past fall, passing thru and the only choices for going online was an 800 number @ 21,600 or the cell modem. I have had decent luck with wardriving but would hate to rely on it. But it is a relative low cost option

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #25
1969 Caravel 18'

SATELLITE

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Satellite use? I am seriously considering it, and need info soon. Best companies? Places where it won't work at all? Connection speed?

J
Old 03-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
hey j

just like people in the thread have said ...unless you wait, i expect you will be paying premium price...obviously if you have a bidness....yoou could care less what it costs.....
best of luck...

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #27
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: SATELLITE

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeromepix
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Satellite use? I am seriously considering it, and need info soon. Best companies? Places where it won't work at all? Connection speed?

J
From what I've seen, this appears to be one of the better offerings.... but, it ain't cheap!

MotoSat

Ground Control
Old 06-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

As I did research, Earthlink has an air card.. about $300 and not sure what the monthly service is. But it does work. Speeds are several times faster than dial-up modem and depend on location.

Verizon is best, Cingular is OK, T-Mobile has horrible coverage.