Old 09-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
my neighbor shares their loud music without my consent. If its in the air, its free.
I think you need to read pertinent sections of the FCC regulations and then proceed to some of the more recent laws regarding hacking and computer system intrusions. Then take a gander at the sentences that have been handed out for unauthorized wifi use. These cases hit the news every now and then because some folks just plain abuse their privileges and responsibilities.

The situation you cited is where the neighbor has given you permission to listen to his music, not vice versa. Whether he had RIAA license to do so could be an interesting question. It would also be interesting to see if he was violating some of the pollution laws common in many neighborhoods.

Whether you take advantage of the offer to hear your neighbor's music doesn't have much to do with your consent.

But all the analogy really does is to illustrate just how silly the 'ethics police' argument gets when people start to try to rationalize innapropriate behavior.

This particular debate also gets into things like the court case complaining about police using infra-red to find pot farms (cops lost) and other privacy issues. Real hot stuff these days what with so much technophobia goin' round.

It used to be you could listen to any RF signal as long as you didn't divulge what you heard. Cell phones changed that, which is why scanners block those frequencies. It's an encroachment on our rights to spy on our neighbors, I tell ya' !! Next they'll be telling us we can't peek in the windows ... ;-)

Old 09-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I use my cellular wireless PCMCIA card the most but when I'm without coverage or need to download massive files I use my wireless card generally reserved for home.
What I've found while traveling in areas that Sprint has overlooked... like Boone NC, I pull up to the Holiday Inn and us their free network for as long as it takes to get what I need then move on. Lots of free wireless at hotels these days, it's just a matter of getting close enough to get a strong signal.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Although it would be relatively easy, I have no plans to encrypt my Wi-Fi. After using a slow dial-up for over twelve years, I now have cable with broadband to spare, and am willing to share with anyone who can get close enough to receive the signal. It will be a nice amenity when I finally get courtesy parking set up. I still have a few more trees to remove and get 30 amp run out to the driveway.

For some interesting information on receiving Wi-Fi, try googling "wardriving' and "Cantenna".
This kind of where I am at We have courtsey parking (ask Glenn Coombes ) I leave the WiFi unsecured for that reason. Also I live a 1/2 mile off the main road, back in the woods so I seriously doubt that anyone will get close enough to catch the signal. Now when I run the booster to get the signal down to the barn that might change

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
i don't trust connecting my laptop through a wide-open shared wireless network...

instead i use my Treo600 pda/phone on a verizon data network for wireless internet connection. excellent for web browsing, sending emails, even google earth is usable (its about a 145k connection most of the time)

highly recommend.

most phones will work as a wireless modumb, usually the only differences are connection speeds and data coverage- 3 years ago i was using an old motorola STARTac for internet connection, and before my Treo, a Kyocera KX7000? would connect at 112k
Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
Most of the larger book stores like Barnes and Noble have free wireless.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Before I retired, I took my Mac PowerBook with me everywhere. I don't recall ever paying for internet service in hotels, because around the hotels or offices there were often several wide-open wireless signals available. The most I ever got were 5 at Pentagon City. All were unencrypted and very strong. Sure was better than paying $13/day to the Ritz.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I pay for WiFi Web access when I have to, like Hotspotzz at campgrounds. If I can find some access out in the air while traveling, I use it. Using a signal in the air is not hacking into someone's computer.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
"Using a signal in the air is not hacking into someone's computer."

OK. that's another one of the sort of "let's just pretend case law doesn't exist" or "I know better than the experts" -

Is this really a good way to approach things? Or would it be better to acknowledge in our hearts that we are using something that is not ours? When we do accept that we are using a 'gift' of someone else, we are more likely to use it responsibly - such as those who move to their own facilities when they have a lot of traffic.

Why is there such a contrary response to a simple request to respect others when we take advantage of something of theirs? Why is there such sensitivity that 'ethics police' came up in the first place? Are such feelings trying to tell us something about ourselves?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My take is: If you don't want somebody using it...LOCK IT UP! Next thing you know I am going to get arrested for stopping front of a store and using the light from the window lighting to read a set of directions. I don't actively seek unsecured wireless systems, but have used them on occasion, for minimum activity. I use a cellular modem when traveling, motel/campground wifi when there. If you leave the keys in your car and the motor running you are asking for someone to take it for a ride. Illegal...yes, is it going to happen...more than likely. Too many people in this day and age are lazy and irresponsible and want to foist the results of that off on other people and the government.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Some people need to get a life. Maybe we should all get together and pressure the Federal law enforcement agencies to drop this terrorist thing and concentrate their efforts on investigating and apprehending the vile criminals who are using wireless internet without permission. I will continue to use any free internet signal that I can find, and will not be expecting the police to kick down my door any time now or in the future.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
If you don't want somebody using it...LOCK IT UP!
I guess one more shot at devil's advocate here ... ;-)

Think about the implications of this for your campsite. Do you lock up everything all the time or do you leave your chair out on occasion? Are you meticulous about locking your tow vehicle and trailer and every compartment door and the hitch assembly and propane tanks and so on all the time? How about your wallet, is it always locked up? Yes this is the 'reduce to the absurd' argument but the question is how far to go that way now that you brought it up.

Quote:
Some people need to get a life
What we'd all like is a life where we don't have to continually protect ourselves from our friends and neighbors; where we can have trust and mutual respect for each other's property; where our concerns are not minimized or subject to the bigotry of others; where our ideas are discussed without the ad hominem;

I think idea to go back to 9/10 thinking is interesting, too. But that's another argument for another venue.

It is also interesting that promoting neighborliness and respect for other's property brings in images of police kicking in doors.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

I've been using Verizon wireless broadband for a few years with a Novatel card inserted in my laptop. I have never been without signal. I also use a 5db gain antenna to get a better signal in the AS and cellular amps to increase range to over 40 miles. Using a 5db gain WiFi antenna showed dozens of signals where only two or three showed without it. Suggestion: use WiFi-G, and WEP setting for minimum protection, and turn off your "broadcast" feature. For more details on protecting yourself online with WiFi and in general check out www.nist.gov and search on WiFi security. For cell phone amplifiers and antennas check out www.wilsoncellular.com for long-range cellular use.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
New CA anti WiFi piggybacking law

You that live in CA and borrow WiFi access need to be aware of this - http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/...ended_sen.html
Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Sitting at Airstream in Jackson Center at this very moment enjoying my free campsite with free wi-fi.

Of course, I spent $1100 yesterday on this and that..............

mike