Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Forum performance..?

Howdy, Lords and Ladies of the Ether...

I seem to have really lousy "forum refresh/loading" performance beginning around 10PM... or 2200HRS... the forum will begin 'loading'... then stall... the ads load first.. of course.... then slowly the rest will populate... sometimes I have to just refresh the browser.

Removing all cache doesn't affect it as I can go immediatly to another system and the 'action' is the same...

It even behaves this way on the iPhone... so, I have a MACBOOK Pro, a couple of Windoze platforms, iPad and iPhone... all act up around this time of night...

It also happens at various times during the day, but this time of night is especially obvious..

Guess the system is getting used? =)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy, Lords and Ladies of the Ether...

I seem to have really lousy "forum refresh/loading" performance beginning around 10PM... or 2200HRS... the forum will begin 'loading'... then stall... the ads load first.. of course.... then slowly the rest will populate... sometimes I have to just refresh the browser.

Removing all cache doesn't affect it as I can go immediatly to another system and the 'action' is the same...

It even behaves this way on the iPhone... so, I have a MACBOOK Pro, a couple of Windoze platforms, iPad and iPhone... all act up around this time of night...

It also happens at various times during the day, but this time of night is especially obvious..

Guess the system is getting used? =)
Could be your Internet Provider too. Try going to a public wifi place and see if it still happens. I do notice slowdowns, but around 17:00 18:00 - when people are getting out of work.

Paula
Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
Ask your ISP what time of day they have their peak loads. normally it is early evening. for example our 50 mbps service will drop as low a 3 or 4 and sometimes be slow enough we cannot watch netflix. just the normal comcast $#%kery but until regulation catches up with technology there isn't much you can do.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My forum slow down period can be anytime.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
Ask your ISP what time of day they have their peak loads. normally it is early evening. for example our 50 mbps service will drop as low a 3 or 4 and sometimes be slow enough we cannot watch netflix. just the normal comcast $#%kery but until regulation catches up with technology there isn't much you can do.
A workaround is to go to your Netflix settings, and lower the transmitted bandwidth. Not a great solution, but at least it makes the service useable.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I live in rural Minnesota and feel lucky to have a DSL line. Early mornings are fine, after weekday supper it gets pretty slow. I assume there are just too many folks home from work doing the same thing I'm doing. We humans tend to follow the same schedules. Rush hour! I will just have to wait for more bandwidth and faster speeds. The technology is there, but the funding is not.

There are many, many threads on slow service at campground WiFi systems. Kinda the same problem. Too many users for the available system.

Remember dial up? Wow.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I browse a bunch of different forums, many that use the same underlying software to create the sites pages. Without a doubt, airforums is the WORST when it comes to performance in loading times. Easily double or triple the time to load either under Firefox, IE, Opera or Chrome. Computer I am running is no slouch, has an I7 processor and 4gigs of ram and has a SSD (solid state disk). Best I can figure is that they load so much advertising crap in the background that it just takes all that extra time to load. And I have blocked flash player from loading which helps a bit but doesn't help all that much. And we are on FIOS which is a fiber optic to the house and on a ping test we get about 24mbps download and 14mbps upload. So we are doing good on technology.

If there is another tweak I could do that wouldn't have too many obnoxious side effects elsewhere I would do it. I like the content and the interactions on this site, but performance wise I think they sell their souls to the advertisers and their numerous extras rather than tailoring it for the users with a fast load.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
As a technically illiterate, I have no idea what some of you are talking about.

BUT, I'm on my iPad Air at home where my DW has a Mediacom WiFi, and I have none of the problems mentioned here, at any time during the day or evening. Admitedly, DW's WiFi is the biggest, most powerful one Mediacom offers.

Just my two cents worth. (go away Terry, you are no help at all.)
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
As a technically illiterate, I have no idea what some of you are talking about.

BUT, I'm on my iPad Air at home where my DW has a Mediacom WiFi, and I have none of the problems mentioned here, at any time during the day or evening. Admitedly, DW's WiFi is the biggest, most powerful one Mediacom offers.

Just my two cents worth. (go away Terry, you are no help at all.)
Terry...
Think of it like this.. Every time you load a page here, it is like filling up your AS with hundreds of pink flamingos... some like them.. but not very useful to most of us... So, you have to sort thru all the flamingos before you can get to the important things in your AS...

Of course, some folks get paid to load the flamingos ... so, it's just part of our economy...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Ads on sites like this are loaded via 3rd party script injection. I deal with this on over 300 websites on a daily basis for work. Use adblock. The site loads faster when the 3rd party tracking BS is blocked.