Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Downloading movies to tablet

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I do not know the answer. My wife and I are renting an Airstream (2016 25 Flying Cloud FB) for a week to determine if we like the lifestyle. Same story as many. Recently retired........If all goes well we intend to buy and be on the road for 1-2 months per year.

Here is my question. The two RV parks we are staying at (Charleston State Park in Indiana to do the Bourbon Trail and Seven Seas RV Park in Nashville) do not have cable TV hookup. As I have read the wifi is likely non-existent or very weak so streaming is not likely.

So we thought we could download some movies to a tablet before we left and bring the tablet along to play through the flatscreen TVs in the Airstream via an HDMI cable. The tablet we have is an LG with Android although we could also do this with a laptop. I was thinking I could download movies from the FIOS Mobil App to my tablet (we have FIOS at home) and then play them when we are camped at the parks.

When I call Verizon they tell me that I cannot download the movie to my tablet but rather it is downloaded to our cable box at home and then the tablet picks up the movie through the mobile app via streaming. How to I get the movie to be resident on the tablet or the laptop so I can watch without an internet connection? Was the Verizon rep wrong because it would seem this should be an easy process.

I apologize for the rudimentary question but I have never had to do this before and we are learning.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Legally, you would need to purchase the movie. I use iTunes for an Apple iPad. Google has a movie store also.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, movies are copy protected. Even if you buy the DVD.
So you need to RIP the DVD to a computer. I use free software called Handbrake or Ripit. That will allow it to be stored on your computer as a MPEG-4 file (about 6 gig). I use I-Tunes to transfer it to my i-Pad.
Unfortunately, I don't know how you connect a HDMI to a TV.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
You can download iTunes for your device. iTunes rents movies for around $5.00 ea and you have 30 days to watch it. The TV in the Airstream you rent will have a HDMI on the back of the TV. There is a black ribbon you have to tug on to release the TV so you can swing it out to get at the connection. The Airstream will probably have a DVD player.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Another option is to rent movies from a Redbox vending machine. All WalMarts around here have them. We will rent a couple and then stop by another Walmart in a few days to turn them in. Our fridge in the 68 is small so a wally world run every 3 or 4 days is usually needed.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have Dish at our house, and we have the optional hopper. Using that, I can download movies from the DVR to my iPad, and watch them when away from the house. Once I download them, they can't be downloaded (transfered) again.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Check this site:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-connect-android-tv-summary-3533870/"]
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go...mmary-3533870/[/URL]

However, I've found ripping DVDs to be time consuming and the MPEG-4 is not nearly as good as the original.
I vote for Red Box or bring disks.

There's lots of other things to do when RV'ing anyway.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Cedar Park , Texas
If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, movies and TV shows can be downloaded to a tablet. Not all titles are available though.

Alan
DashHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I download from my Amazon account to my laptop or android phone. Then, hook up to the tv via a cable and play the movies with sound through the stereo system. Works well.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
Amazon Prime members and Netflix subscribers can download movies and playback offline.

You can also rent from Google Play, Amazon or iTunes and playback later while offline.

WalMart has a bargain bin for DVDs which is frequently the same price as renting, I still prefer playback from my phone or tablet.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
chambersburg , Pennsylvania
I take our satellite receiver & dish along
jimin pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Software

If you own the DVD/Blue Ray and your PC/Mac has a DVD/Blue Ray player, you can try using a software package called Roxio "Toast". There a multitude of ways to copy movies to your hard drive. Beware, you can fill the hard drive up very quickly. You might want to look at Elgato. They have a couple solutions available.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Just like you'd do if you were traveling on an airplane...purchase movies from iTunes, store on your tablet & wa la!

If you have a DVD or blu ray player in the AS just borrow or buy a few movies on DVD. When you are finished with the DVD donate to your local library. They will love to have them.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Downloading Content is Smart

I download movies from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Epix, and now HBOGo. I haven't tried SHO, but I reckon if they want to keep up, they'll offer downloads, too. One must use a mobile device, as the content providers do not want you to download to your desktop computer. (Plainly, that's a easy place to stream, whereas most campgrounds and RV Parks, even ones that have wifi, don't have the bandwidth sufficient for streaming.)

Downloads have a "use by" date, becoming unavailable on your device -- the premium services do not want you to build a library -- and some of them have a limit to how much you can download. I've found that a visit to a McDonalds or Starbucks -- or a McDonalds or Starbucks parking lot! -- is a good place to acquire a new batch of downloaded movies and episodic television using their free wifi, but don't do your banking or other critical online activity on shared wifi.

Now comes the good part. With a Lightning-to-HDMI adapter, you can view the downloaded content -- out of your iPad (or iPhone) into and onto your flatscreen.

Even with all the downloaded movies and episodics, I still travel with a bunch of unseen Blu-ray disks. And unless you're boon docking far off the beaten path, there's a Red Box DVD vending machine pretty close by.

I'm not going to recommend ripping movies with TOR, because I am philosophically and politically against bootlegging, piracy, and ripping online. One of the reasons the Motion Picture Industry Health and Pension plan is in a hole is because the Producers don't pay in to the plan if they don't money on DVDs.

Best,
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I download from my Amazon account to my laptop or android phone. Then, hook up to the tv via a cable and play the movies with sound through the stereo system. Works well.
How do you download to your laptop? I don't see an option for that, but I can play the movie on mine. Laptops aren't listed under supported devices but the various Android phones and tablets are.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Laptops aren't listed under supported devices but the various Android phones and tablets are.
Exactly so. Must use mobile devices, not computers. (Unless, of course, you're referring to downloading from iTunes or other purchasing options.)
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I use my iPad and download movies from Amazon. While I haven't gotten around to it yet, my plan is to put my Apple TV above the BluRay player and stream over WiFi to watch on the TV's.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
I'm not going to recommend ripping movies with TOR, because I am philosophically and politically against bootlegging, piracy, and ripping online.
I understand, but if I buy a DVD, why can't I transfer it to my i-pad? Am I supposed to buy the DVD and then pay again to download the same movie on i-tunes? Same with CD's although they're not copy protected.
Have you ever loaned or given a book to a friend? Same thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Because when you copy the movie to your iPad, you can sell or give away the DVD. You can loan your book to somebody, but you don't make a copy of it first, do you?
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Some DVD do allow a digital download too
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote