Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Dish Satellite TV Systems, Questions

I am interested in purchasing a new dish system at this time. I need some help in my decision making process.
I used to have a Direct TV system and found it to be a big bother, especially dealing with the service people from their company by phone each time I moved the trailer to a different location (from state to state) and tried to get access to their signal. My dish would hone in on the satellite right away but, to acquire access to use their signal was another story, and usually took an hour or more talking to a moron on the phone who is supposed to be a pro. Can you tell I'm still angry even though it has been years since I actually used it? Anyway,,,,
I have sold the Direct TV system and I now I want something better and I think Dish is the brand to go with. There are a lot of new systems out there and I just want something better than what I've had. I now am looking at HD Dish systems and would like a recommendation from all of you with experience with their set up, and equipment.
Thanks for your help!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I’m no expert as we are new to Dish, or satellite TV for that matter. Our trailer had a Winegard Road Trip antenna installed and Direct TV receivers when we bought it. We decided to switch the system to Dish and bought a Wally receiver. So far the system has worked well when we had good site lines from the antenna to the satellites. Moving from location to location has worked flawlessly. We can start and stop service from month to month as we have the need.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Are you looking for a "permanent install" of a SAT system or would a portable work for you?I've had SAT TV for quite awhile...starting with Directv for the house. Recently, I dropped Direct and went with DISH for two reasons. DISH is cheaper first off in my area. That is...it's cheaper until you disconnect Direct and then they come back with very large discounts to get you back. The 2nd reason was the simplicity of DISH on the road. My wife bought me a DISH Tailgater for Christmas along with the receiver. My 22FB Sport didn't have a separate SAT connection outside so I added one next to the cable outlet. I bought the optional "tripod" to place the SAT device on. Once you go thru the initial set up your good to go. We've used it in a number of locations with great success. DISH offers the option of "turning on/off" the RV hook up. Cost is $7 bucks per month. I find this good. We prefer to just turn it on in the beginning of the camping season then turn it off for the winter. I used Velcro to stick the inside receiver to the wall behind the TV. I've also upgraded my 22FB with a 1000 watt inverter and put an outlet behind the TV. I now have use of the TV with/without shore power. Hope this reply is helpful. It's really a "no-brainer" and customer service is great.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I just want a portable unit to take along when traveling and have it on a long cord so I can move it as needed.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use a Dish Playmaker. It costs $7.00 a month in addition to the home costs. You pay only when you use it?
The one I have is good only west of the Mississippi?.
Never travel east of there.
Costs less than $300 with a receiver.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
I have a dish pay as you go system. I works good but I still have
jimjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I am interested in purchasing a new dish system at this time. I need some help in my decision making process.

I used to have a Direct TV system and found it to be a big bother, especially dealing with the service people from their company by phone each time I moved the trailer to a different location (from state to state) and tried to get access to their signal. My dish would hone in on the satellite right away but, to acquire access to use their signal was another story, and usually took an hour or more talking to a moron on the phone who is supposed to be a pro. Can you tell I'm still angry even though it has been years since I actually used it? Anyway,,,,

I have sold the Direct TV system and I now I want something better and I think Dish is the brand to go with. There are a lot of new systems out there and I just want something better than what I've had. I now am looking at HD Dish systems and would like a recommendation from all of you with experience with their set up, and equipment.

Thanks for your help!

I have a Dish System and every time I move from one place to another I spend a hour on the phone to activate service. Not sure you will get away from that frustration. Good luck. Thanks
jimjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am on the road right now. Traveled over. 1400 miles. Only had to activate my receiver once.
I do not attempt to get local channels. Only satellite channels.
In this case the only thing you need to do is go thru the setup and point dish process. It takes about 10 minutes at most.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you are on the road with Directv, you can subscribe to the national network feeds for a few bucks a month. This lets you trot out your Kingquest (or similar self pointing antenna), hook it up and in ten minutes you have tv. No need to call anyone or do anything different.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This has been a mixed bag as far as what everyone thinks and suggestions about the systems. I guess I should have checked into the Direct TV usage a little further before selling it. That national usage plan sounds like what I needed. Too bad the company does not advertise a little more and let it's customers know that they have a choice of plans.
Looks like that when I do pull the trigger again on a system I'll probably go with Dish because of their HD capabilities with the dishes. My Direct TV system could not do HD.
I wonder if Dish has a way we can travel and not do the call in to get their signal? Seems like one person who posted on this thread said he traveled 1400 miles and didn't have to call in to Dish for the signal more than once. So maybe Dish has a special plan that covers it for a few extra bucks?

I'd like to hear more from people who travel thru several states and never have to talk to their satellite company. It doesn't seem very common, and I'm interested on how you do it
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
olympia , Washington
I use dish and don’t have to call

I have travelled east and west, north and south and do not have to call. Just put the geo location in the Wally receiver and do the scan.
I do not do local stations I figure that’s what the antenna is for.
You can also activate the service from the receiver too. An internet connection may be required for that. I always have internet service with park or mifi’s and such. Need it for work.
I also have a portable dish Winegard Pathway X2.
Very satisfied with dish and you can pay month to month.
hrreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have a Dish King Tailgater and VIP 211 receiver. I also do not care about local channels. But if I call Dish with the zip code they can activate them. The system has worked flawlessly the last couple of years.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've been running "distant network" from DTV HD since '04.
At the time, Dish lost their distant network option because they got caught by the feds for allowing stick house subscribers access. Its all about the commercials.
There is paperwork (to prove you are "on the road") to submit to get distant network programming, LA and New York city feeds, + a spot beam of your state of install/setup.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
Smile Satellite System....

We live in Canada, and frequently travel to the US... which means we need 2 satellite systems... one for each country as the signals do not cross the border... weird international laws. We have a KVH satellite system on our 34 footer. Works GREAT! Had a Winegard portable unit as MANY times we would park in the woods... thus blocking the signal. The portable unit would allow me to find an open spot, thus getting a signal. Had to sell the portable unit.. .wife made me! Sigh! With the "automatic" search function on these units, we will pull into our site, and I immediately turn on the satellite AND the receiver. Both need to be on, so the satellite dish knows which satellite to look for. The search might take 5-10 minutes... all based on overhead trees. Works REALLY well. Dish Network has an RV option which allows you to turn on and off your subscription, based on a month at a time. Not be American, I use my sister-in-laws address... she lives in the US, as they will not deal with anyone outside the USA. Otherwise, LOVE my system... WORKS! Just park in "open" areas... tree leaves are full of water and block the signals. Trust this helps.
LNorthway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Dish Tailgater and a Wally will access HD broadcasts just like you get at home, Setup is easy. Hook it to your sat in cable, place the tailgater in an area with out obstruction and call Dish to activate. When you call Dish request to be connected to a mobil sat technician and set up will go much easier. I switched from DirecTV to Dish specifically to access HD. You will not get local channels unless you call Dish via sat and give them your location. Dish is working on the option allow access your home locals without calling. We only call if locals can not be accessed via our AS over the air antenna.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
This has been a mixed bag as far as what everyone thinks and suggestions about the systems. I guess I should have checked into the Direct TV usage a little further before selling it. That national usage plan sounds like what I needed. Too bad the company does not advertise a little more and let it's customers know that they have a choice of plans.
Looks like that when I do pull the trigger again on a system I'll probably go with Dish because of their HD capabilities with the dishes. My Direct TV system could not do HD.
I wonder if Dish has a way we can travel and not do the call in to get their signal? Seems like one person who posted on this thread said he traveled 1400 miles and didn't have to call in to Dish for the signal more than once. So maybe Dish has a special plan that covers it for a few extra bucks?

I'd like to hear more from people who travel thru several states and never have to talk to their satellite company. It doesn't seem very common, and I'm interested on how you do it

Last year we traveled through CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, AZ and back to CA using DIRECTV w/ 2 receivers w/ a Winegard G-3 carry out.

A little background here. On our 25' Safari I had a auto seeking dish mounted on the roof. It worked OK unless you are parked under a tree. Then you have to move the rig to get a signal.

So on the 30' Safari we opted for the carry out. First thing you should be aware of is the DIRECTV receivers in your rig have to be refreshed if you haven't used them in a while and that's why you have to call the "pin-heads" at DIRECTV.
I never call, I use the DIRECTV "app" from my cell phone to "refresh" the receivers on the first day we are out and you are good for as long as your are on the road. Second, I use the "Satellite Pointer" app to locate the best spot to set the G-3. (This app gives you a clear view of the southern satellite array and shows you if you have an obstruction). The G-3 takes a while to lock on to the satellites, 3-6 minutes to lock and download the Directv guide. Third, please be aware that none (that I know of) the carry-outs for DIRECTV will receive HD service. Dish does. So you may be missing HD channels if you subscribe to them at home.

Cost? I believe DIRECTV charges me $5.00/per receiver/month whether we use them or not.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I've had a Tailgater for 5 years now. Had some initial issues and have found Dish customer service to have improved greatly. The tailgater is incredibly easy to set up as you just need to take it outside and plug it in. I did find that in my 2006 Airstream, the factory wiring would not work with the tailgater. So have to run the tailgater cord through a window. No big deal.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Dish

We have a dish tailgater and works great provided you have good site lines to the satellites. Difficult to do in heavily forested site. I purchased 200 feet of coax so I would have a little more versatility. ( I always check with my neighbors if it's ok to violate their space), but sometimes just can't find a site line - time to get the scrabble game out
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
Dish pay as you go with Winegard Pathway X2. It can see both east and west arc satellites which is great when you have trees. Full HD. I have the 211Z receiver but a Wally will work as well. Just go online and activate it for a month and let it expire when you're not camping. If you ask for the 'Welcome Pack' (which is not advertised online) you get locals and basic cable for $20/mo. Hard to beat. The pathway X2 is a bit more expensive than the others but a LOT more versatile.

As far as I'm aware DirecTV requires a contract and the antennas cannot see both east and west satellites, really limits your reception. Also most of the portable antennas are SD not HD.

Good luck!
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Dish

I've had the Dish Tailgater system since 2012. "Tailgater" references the portable automatic antenna that you place in an open area. One more advantage is that the antenna has power supplied by the single coax cable. Once activated it works fine, and you have a choice of channel packages.

I "pause" the system several times a year. This means you only pay $5./mo while it is paused; however there is a minimum number of months that you must pay the full rate.

Once it is paused and you want to "un-pause" the system you must call in to do it; this can take a little while depending on what they have to do on the other end...sometimes they have to update the software, etc. Usually the access to the customer service rep is pretty quick. The system has been called by different names....I think that currently the RV systems are referred as "Dish Outdoors". I declined the "local channels" and saved $10/mo.

I'm happy with the system.

Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote