Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Dish Pay As You Go Plan?

Anyone out there using the Dish Pay As You Go plan? It sounds like a good method of paying for service only when you need it (albeit in one month increments).

We don't have satelite at home so we cannot simply add another receiver like many of you have done.

If you're using Pay As You Go please comment. It appears to be available from a variety of equipment providers like Winegard, Dish For My RV and others.

Thanks, Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Tv

Camping should be without TV???????????

However, I will watch response as I would also be interested in PAYG.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We tried it, and it turned into an unmitigated disaster. First, we had to buy the equipment (which was not the newest, top of the line stuff) at Radio Shack, then had to put it all together ourselves. Then I had to go buy a Green Dot Master Card, which is all they would accept with DishNow. Then they told me I had to pay at a specific location ( I think it was Walgreens), then they told me I had to pay an installer to come out to check the installation (but there were no Dish Now installers in our area), then they told me I had to get a different Green Dot Master Card through them, then they told me I had to get yet a different Green Dot Master Card since they didn't actually have any to sell, then they told me it would take 30-45 days to set up my account...
In short, at that time, they had absolutely no idea what they were doing. All we got was conflicting info from each and every person we spoke to. I finally ended up throwing it all int the trash, and paying a hefty deposit and installation fee for a standard installation. Oh, and be prepared to speak en espanol when you talk to them. I really hope it's improved since then (2007), but I wouldn't hold my breath.
If the above seems like it's "venting" my frustration about it, that's because I am...
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
DISH is a situation of pay and pay and pay and pay and pay - everything is pay and then some. I HAD Dish - HAD is the operative word. I am still going the digital route - and using Netflix and Hulu + and using the digital to pick up local. I can get news live on my iPhone - and will be on the iPad - and will get a ROKU box for the RV to stream without tying up my computer -

In short - NO MORE DISH. Too many hurdles - not good service.

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
MONROEVILLE , Alabama
Those of you that had the terrible experiences, is this what you had? DishForMyRV.com: Mobile Satellite Dish Systems, Guides, Antennas, Receivers, Packages, iPhone Finder App & More
AUTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have Dish and I am happy with the service. I now have a good supplier; but previously the supplier wanted to charge for every detail, he was Direct TV. I now have one tv with DVR and one with standard box. The standard box is $5.oo per month. I take it with me when we are going to be gone for extended periods or a event I don't want to miss. Yes it is a hassle to setup, but waiting for the $ to come down on the vu-cube or Weingard auto dish. The $5.00 is alot less than the $25.00/mo for pay as you go.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I have the Dish pay as you go, and am very happy with it. I'm using a KVM R4LS HD Satellite Dish with an HD receiver.
Works beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00001-20100416-1513.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	122922  

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , Ohio
I've recently (today) researched the Dish pay-as-you-go option, here's the skinny.

$149 one time activation fee. I guess this is how they get around the contract. However, the sales rep. on the phone told me it was good forever. We'll see.
$99 equipment. This is a box and satellite. I told the rep. I didn't need a satellite because I am going to purchase a RV satellite. I don't know yet if there is a discount on this without the satellite.
$ First month plan fee.

From what I understand, this is the current available option from Dish.

Cheers
Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Could you expound a little on the details? Do you pay as you go by the day or month, or what?

Thanx, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
Is it as easy as it sounds?

I have a 2011 International Serenity 23 ft AS and am considering adding Sat TV with a movable Sat unit like the VuQube or Winegard Traveler.

Question #1:
Is the "installation" as easy as placing the Sat unit outside (auto sat acquisition is the only way to go), running the coax to the exterior cable TV receptical on the AS, and installing the cable receiver box to the "Sat out" plug under the front dinette and running another coax from the receiver box to the "Sat In"?

In other words, Do you think I could actually do this myself?! Is it that easy or am I missing something? (I would, of course, have to sign up with a Sat provider...)

Question #2:
To take advantage of HD programing would I only have to relocate the HD-capable Sat receiver close enough to the TV to be able to run an HDMI cable to the TV leaving the rest of the installation as described above? It would be a pretty simple matter to discretely run coax cable from the dinette to the TV which is located on wall next to the refridgerator.

I am not an electronics guy by any means, but I have installed a bunch of stereo and video stuff at home over the years. I have no experience with Satellite TV as I've always had cable. It seems to me that with a portable sat, there is virtually no complicated installation.

Am I misunderstanding the nuances of all this, or can I just go ahead and order the PAYG Dish Network plan this afternoon?

Thanks for your help. It's almost spring here in NEPA and a "young" man's thoughts turn to streaming!
All the best,
Peter
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Make certain your dish antennae is compatible with your "channel" subscription. The cube does not support a three transponder requirement. Might better get the dish/ pole setup for your subscription.
The other question you ask is not entirely clear to me.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
I think I am seeing this as too simple. Thank you, though, for your info, but I have to admit I don't really understand. Should I just call DISH and let them tell me what equipment they recommend?

The second question was really directed at whether there is a difference between getting the subscribed channels and viewing them in High Definition w/ stereo sound. It sounds like, though it will cost more, I'm better off going with the dealer who is 3 hours away.
Thanks again, Peter
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote