Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: My Satellite TV choice would be:
Dish 14 60.87%
Direct TV 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Dish or DirectTV?

Mrs. and I are going to order Satellite TV for extended travel next year.

We've reviewed both major providers, and think either can do the job for us.

From an overall satisfaction point of view, which company would you pick, and why?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
From an overall satisfaction point of view, which company would you pick, and why?
Dish Tailgater auto syncs to the satellites and I don't think DirecTV has an equivalent system. The newer system is a single output so you can't watch one channel and record another. The older version, that was available earlier this year, has dual outputs and solves the problem.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Direct TV has the auto find as well. Also, it gets all HD if that is important. Cost is high at $1500 for the RV mount and unit.

You can watch multiple stations from different TVs and also record while you watch.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We use the dish setup with the tailgater when on the road. It is bundled with our service at our home. We have been using the service for 2 years and are very satisfied with the product.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks for the comments. We're likely going with Dish.

We'll have no contract (Direct TV is 2 years), Dish has a dedicated RV / Mobile help center, and a decent pay as you go package (120+ HD channels) is $70 a month.

They also package a tripod single-feed antenna (up to three receivers), VSWR meter tuner and a Wally receiver at $299. I can also buy a 1T drive and enable it as a DVR. (Additional cost).

I already looked at SatFinder app for the iPhone and don't think aligning the dish will be a big deal. We'll be in one spot for several weeks anyway.

And Dish will also enable local channels with a phone call. So for example, we get to San Antonio and call them w our zip code, then those channels will get added.

Same if we go to Tucson, etc.

Appreciate all the info. Thanks again!
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Unless you are married to DirecTV consider moving the home account to dish. That would drop the cost of the mobile to $7.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We had directv for 4 years and switched to dish because directv didnt make much effort to get a signal at our Tennessee site. Dish came out and found it no problem. We then switched the home service to dish. Changing locations with Dish is a simple call or as I prefer even faster if you use the chat function on the web.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I have directv now. Got a travel package to get hd tv on the road. I have the genie at home. The antenna and its stand are pretty large making storage an issue and setup can be challenging. As soon as my contract is up I'm going to dish with a small auto setup package

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Colorado
Hi, I just purchases a 2017 Flying Cloud 30 (my first Airstream!) and have Dish King Tailgaiter with WALLY Dish Box. I am having no luck getting it to work when I connect it to the Airstream Satellite inlet. I've tried connecting it to the Cable inlet as well. I ran it directly into the Airstream from the Front door, and it worked great. I've read that since the cable cord "powers" the automatic sat finder in the King Tailgaitor, it has to be a powered (3Ghz?) cord.... so....I'm wondering if the cable from the Airstream Inlet is not compatible with the Wally/King Tailgaiter?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
RLNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Well, we ordered a Wineguard Playmaker Bundle from DishFormyRV.com today. It was one of the smaller auto-pointing antennas, and comes with the Wally receiver. I opted for the tripod as well, to help with uneven ground.

It should arrive this week, hopefully I'll get it set up and checked out here at the house before moving it to the A/S.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLNSTN View Post
Hi, I just purchases a 2017 Flying Cloud 30 (my first Airstream!) and have Dish King Tailgaiter with WALLY Dish Box. I am having no luck getting it to work when I connect it to the Airstream Satellite inlet. I've tried connecting it to the Cable inlet as well. I ran it directly into the Airstream from the Front door, and it worked great. I've read that since the cable cord "powers" the automatic sat finder in the King Tailgaitor, it has to be a powered (3Ghz?) cord.... so....I'm wondering if the cable from the Airstream Inlet is not compatible with the Wally/King Tailgaiter?

The cable absolutely should work. Sounds like a warranty issue.

I verified our Sat TV input on our '16 FC worked fine. I had setup a test involving a powered manual tune external antenna and spare receiver at my brother's place, to make sure the cable worked. It was a powered system i.e. similar to what you are describing.

To troubleshoot, I would ground the center conductor in the external SAT connection to the outer shroud/ground (i.e. make a complete circuit between the center conductor and the external.)

Then I would go inside and connect an ohm meter to the same two places, on the inner cable.

If the cable is "ok", you should get 0 ohms/no resistance in the reading. If you get an "open" or high resistance, you will likely have a physical problem/fault with the cable "somewhere" internal to the coach.

The TV input will not help you; this routes from the jack into the powered TV antenna.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLNSTN View Post

On my FC, the sat cable intering the cabin ends under the blue ray player I had to move the housing to get to it. From there it hooks to receiver and output is hdmi to the existing hdmi splitter. My hdmi splitter was setup to take blue ray output and split to two signals for the two tvs. I just unhooked the blue ray hdmi and inserted the hdmi from the sat receiver.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Well, we ordered a Wineguard Playmaker Bundle from DishFormyRV.com today. It was one of the smaller auto-pointing antennas, and comes with the Wally receiver. I opted for the tripod as well, to help with uneven ground.

It should arrive this week, hopefully I'll get it set up and checked out here at the house before moving it to the A/S.

Our system arrived today.

Pretty happy with it so far, set up here at the S&B house. I needed to adjust the dish location to get to the 119W bird, but after that it was reliable.

The auto-align feature of the Wineguard Playmaker is great. We watched a bit of 'Avatar' and the picture was very crisp and clear.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
How much does pay as you go cost? Are there different priced packages?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
dblee1950:

There are four of five packages I forget all depending on which stations you want. We turn our Verizon off at home, actually in suspension, and then choose the top tier Dish package. We have a fixed roof mounted Dish Traveler antenna. The same one you see on large motorhomes, it lies flat, when turned on rises up, finds the sats and connects. I fought with the remote antennas for two years and ended up throwing it out, while throwing it away another camper in a MH was doing the same thing. We both got a chuckle.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have both. Dish on the trailer and Direct at home. I find Direct to be slightly better. Both are overpriced and for me not really much too watch. The shows are terrible. I will probably cancel the one for my trailer as most good campgrounds offer TV with many of the same channels that are on satellite. On my Classic I also have the Winegard Razor antenna which does a very good job at picking up the local channels.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
dblee1950:

There are four of five packages I forget all depending on which stations you want. We turn our Verizon off at home, actually in suspension, and then choose the top tier Dish package. We have a fixed roof mounted Dish Traveler antenna..."
Bud
We are looking into getting Dish so your experience is very valuable to us. By 'remote antenna' you mean the one you place on a tripod in the floor somewhere next to the AS? How much the Traveler cost? Did you have to get Dish at home too or just for the RV?

Thank you!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
How much does pay as you go cost? Are there different priced packages?

From $34.99 to $94.99, plus tax, depending on which package is selected:

https://www.dish.com/pay-as-you-go/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Dish or DirectTV?

Well, had the Dish setup almost two weeks, very pleased so far.

I took it out to the storage RV Park and set it up in the truck tailgate. Connected the cable, and watched a bunch of shows.

I must have been out for 2+ hours, and was running everything off the inverter. I saw about 4A on the solar charger, and no overall reduction in voltage over that time.

So far I'd say we are very pleased with the ease of use and simplicity of the Wineguard bundle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk