Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dish.net for Internet?

My understanding is Dish bought Hughes.net and sells it as Dish.net for Dish customers. They claim they have increased speed by 4 times and response time is faster (time it takes for signal to go to and from the satellite).

I don't know whether this works for RV's on the road or how well it works at a home.

Any experiences with Dish.net or recent ones with Hughes.net?

My reason for these questions is that my wifi ISP is increasing prices by close to 30% and I am interested in an alternative to their marginal service. I wonder also whether Dish.net is movable. I don't have much interest in satellite for the trailer, but for another house we are remodeling while we sell the one we live in—I suppose an RV system would work there too and then eventually use in the trailer—if it worked for internet on the road, so much the better. So far what I read on things like Tailgater turn me off to the system because it is more than I want to learn (and spend) and my dealings with Dish customer service have always been difficult. But if Dish.net is portable, maybe it is an alternative to cell data plans for internet (I'd use that if I could get a decent Verizon signal at our present house and will be researching that as well).

It seems if the companies that sell these various communication services made things simple—plans that are clear, costs that are reasonable, hook ups that are understandable—a lot more people would buy their products.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"It seems if the companies that sell these various communication services made things simple—plans that are clear, costs that are reasonable, hook ups that are understandable—a lot more people would buy their products."

I am all for that. But I think the companies are counting more on advertising and signing up customers who have no real idea what they are getting and then by making it almost impossible to evaluate a possible change in service.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I do not believe the dish.net product is portable.

Full-timing friends of ours got it mounted on an outbuilding of property they own. If it was portable, they would for sure have gotten a portable version.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Hughes net satellite internet used to allow but not support portable dishes with their system, but I have no idea if they do anymore. Downlink is not a problem, but sending signals from a portable dish up to a satellite is more of an issue, in the event you start beaming signals to the wrong satellite. Everyone gets testy when that happens.

So, I rather doubt you will be able to move it around. I know for a fact that Wild Blue specifically prohibits moving of their dishes, and they have ways of knowing if you do so by which transponder and beam you are on.

This message comes to you via my Wild Blue Exceed system, as it is the only option I have here in the boonies.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wild Blue is another alternative, but is very expensive compared to other ways of doing internet.

I did check Dish's website and there was nothing about portability for internet, but I may have missed something.

I also checked out TV possibilities as our present system only delivers HD to one TV, but apparently Hopper gets it to others. Of course, I'm not sure it is worth it because SD on digital LCD TV's is pretty much the same as HD except it doesn't fit as well. I also don't want to pay the extra fees as we are tired of sending more and more money to Dish. The bundles save some money, but I don't trust any of these companies to disclose everything. Maybe I'll have to figure out getting TV through the internet and get rid of Dish altogether.

Anyone have experience with Dish.net?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote