Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Alabama
Dish King Tailgaiter/Wally not working...FIRST-Time Airstreamer

Hi, I just purchased a 2017 Flying Cloud 30 (my first Airstream!) and have Dish King Tailgaiter with WALLY Box. I am having no luck getting it to work when I connect it to the Airstream "Satellite" inlet. I've tried connecting it to the Cable inlet as well. I ran it directly into the Airstream from the Front door, and it worked great. I've read that since the cable cord "powers" the automatic sat finder in the King Tailgaitor, it has to be a powered (3Ghz?) cord.... so....I'm wondering if the cable from the Airstream Inlet is not compatible with the Wally/King Tailgaiter?

I've also seen something about needing a "splitter" at the Blu-Ray ... ??

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

RLNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The way mine is hooked up, the cable from the dish is attached to the outside connector. Then I connect a short cable from the interior "satellite" connector that is under my dinette, directly to the Wally box. Then I connect the Wally to the TV.

Is that roughly what you are doing?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Yes you need a double inlet splitter. The blue ray is fed into a single inlet splitter with dual outlets, one for each television, in order to connect a dish box you need a splitter with both duel inlet & outlets. This is located under the white box in the front overhead cabinet. If you call customer services in Jackson center they can email a schematic diagram with instructions on how to set up the satellite box.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Let's split this question into the RF (coaxial cable) and HDMI (Blu Ray) parts.

First the coax part.

So, your Satellite TV antenna and Wally receiver work ok when you run the coax through the door of the airstream?

And if you try and use the built in Coaxial 'Sat TV' input on the AS it does not work?

That would point to a fault in the built in cable, and likely a warranty issue. You could do a quick continuity check by connecting the center conductor and outer shield at the A/S jack. Then attach an Ohm meter to the other end inside the coach (on my '16 FC, it is buried under the electronics cabinet shelf.). If you have an open circuit, the cable is the problem.

On the HDMI part, you are adding another signal source (Wally) to the A/S, in addition to what is there (BluRay). So, you need a 2:1 switch. The Wally HDMI in one, and the BluRay HDMI in the other. The output goes to the existing amplifier. That way, you can select either Wally or BluRay.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With regard to the power to the antenna, yes, typically the power is supplied out to the antenna low noise block downconverter through the same coax that returns the downconverted baseband signal back to the Wally. No separate power cable reauired.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Rich

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looking at the 2017 FC Owners Manual on Airstream the old design of the satellite jumper cable is now gone and its a direct connect from the outside jack to the entertainment locker. The instructions state the cable is under the Bluray player. It's possible there is a break in the wire but since you mentioned the cable port doesn't work, I assume you turned the power off from the wall plate, I would check the back of the outside wall jack to see if the cables are connected at the back. The cables should be labeled. Worth a check.

Kelvin
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I would check the back of the outside wall jack to see if the cables are connected at the back. The cables should be labeled. Worth a check.

Kelvin

This is a great idea.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I just took delivery of a 2017 30' FC and the fellow that did the walk thru mentioned something about a cable under the Blue Ray Player that needs to be connected for the Sat. setup to work. AS does not do it at the factory.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
I just took delivery of a 2017 30' FC and the fellow that did the walk thru mentioned something about a cable under the Blue Ray Player that needs to be connected for the Sat. setup to work. AS does not do it at the factory.

Unless he meant something else, that is likely the coaxial cable direct from the Satellite jack on the external of the unit. That feeds the (customer supplied) satellite receiver.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I know if you haven't done it, it sounds very complicated but it's not. Four screws hold the white box in place, remove them find the coax cable mentioned above. The factory installed splitter is laying there in plain view, replace it with a 2x2 splitter. Plug AS coax into splitter along with blue ray. Buy a coax to connect splitter to satellite box & that's it as far as connections. Just be sure to re-attach the blue ray to new splitter.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I know if you haven't done it, it sounds very complicated but it's not. Four screws hold the white box in place, remove them find the coax cable mentioned above. The factory installed splitter is laying there in plain view, replace it with a 2x2 splitter. Plug AS coax into splitter along with blue ray. Buy a coax to connect splitter to satellite box & that's it as far as connections. Just be sure to re-attach the blue ray to new splitter.

I'm really trying hard to understand this?

The only splitter in my 2016 FC is for the BluRay to support two TVs. It's HDMI. It's not connected to coax in any form.

The only coax in my electronics cabinet is unconnected by the factory. It runs to the 'Satellite' jack on the outside of the AS.

Are you talking about a different or older model?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #11

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Alabama
Still working on issue...thanks for everyone's input!

OK...I got a 2:1 splitter and was able to access the area under the Blu-Ray...however, I believe the splitter was bad. I haven't had any issues with the Blu-Ray working...but when I connect the Blu-Ray to the splitter..it wouldn't work either....It was the only splitter they had (small Radio Shack) and it appeared to have been opened prior... so my confidence level in it was not the greatest going in...heading to Best Buy today to get another. More to follow. (Sorry for the slow replies...had a 3-day bug that threw me for a loop
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Here is what you need.
I will try to attach the instructions stored on my ICloud.
Buy the new splitter directly from Monoprice or Amazon not Airstream.
If it won't attach, email me and I will try that way.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Oops my email
grnflag54@gmail.com
Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Try this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite 2012 to Present.pdf (833.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
Try this

Thanks for posting, that's excellent.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #16

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Northport , Alabama
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the .pdf...purchased the 4x2 Monopiece splitter, and successfully replaced the factory 2x1 with the 4x2 and EVERYTHING WORKED!!! Tested Blu-Ray, DISH, Air channels, Living Room, Bedroom, Audio, USB plug...it all works . Thanks so much for the official AS answer. Really appreciate your help!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
I am glad it worked for you. If this is your first Airstream, welcome to the family!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Interesting string - I have a question though - rather than try to figure out how to wire all this, could I get the unit wired at the Airstream factory when I order it?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Dish King Tailgaiter/Wally not working...FIRST-Time Airstreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Interesting string - I have a question though - rather than try to figure out how to wire all this, could I get the unit wired at the Airstream factory when I order it?

Well, it probably depends on what you want wired. Maybe give the factory a call?

The factory setup should support BluRay to either (or both) TVs. That's the factory HDMI splitter.

In addition, AS provides a pre-wired coax (in addition to the cable TV coax input) cable from the external jack all the way to the electronics cabinet. This is unterminated from the factory, and is the black cable with the female threaded coupling you see coiled up under the Samsung BluRay player.

To add Satellite, you take advantage of the Satellite coax pre-wiring and attach it to your Satellite receiver coax input. Since the satellite receiver has an HDMI output, an option is to buy an HDMI 2:1 switch so that you can either have 1) the original BluRay or 2) the Satellite HDMI inputs as a source to the TVs.

(If you don't want the BluRay player any more, you don't need this).

I bought this 3:1 splitter for this purpose:

Kinivo HDMI Switch 301BN Premium 3 Port Wireless Remote & AC Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049S6ZUS..._cCV1frThwBZ3J

The switch output still goes to the factory splitter, as before.

This is how I have mine wired for my Dish Wally receiver; only I've removed the factory Samsung BluRay player and substituted my PlayStation in its place.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLNSTN View Post
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the .pdf...purchased the 4x2 Monopiece splitter, and successfully replaced the factory 2x1 with the 4x2 and EVERYTHING WORKED!!! Tested Blu-Ray, DISH, Air channels, Living Room, Bedroom, Audio, USB plug...it all works . Thanks so much for the official AS answer. Really appreciate your help!

Getting ready to install same system in FC 27FB. I found the coaxial cable and two pin connection. Any hints or words of wisdom.

Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote