Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
DirectTV Genie DVR question?

We're getting ready for our first trip out and don't yet have a dish arrangement setup. Can we take advantage of our Genie DVR without the dish plugged in? When the Genie boots up will it allow us to scroll to the menu to choose the movies we recorded ?

D
DarrellT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Yes, anything recorded will play without any dish or other satellite connection. We load our DirecTV DVR up with programming before we go, then connect it via HDMI to the AS TV, and scroll through and play our recorded programming as usual.
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Good question. Following for answer. I have a Winegard dish but haven't thought to check my DVR without it being hooked up
Old 09-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington

You can download from your Genigo with the app to an iPad or iPhone. I connect to the TV through a iPhone/HDMI adaptor.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

If you have an HR 44 or HR 54 dvr at home you are in good shape. Simply download the latest DirecTV app for iPad or iPhone. Built in to the app is the ability to download existing dvr recordings to your iPad/iPhone for viewing offline.

You can basically copy your dvr content to your mobile device.

From there, in your trailer, if you don't want to watch programming in your mobile device you can easily broadcast to your TV via hdmi adapter or Apple TV (I am sure there are other solutions for android users)

It's pretty slick and works flawlessly - eliminates the need to bring your physical dvr box with you on the road.

See my posts here for more details:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...on-155435.html

Enjoy your DirecTV service on the road!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
from my previous post:

I may have a solution that will work for you. I have discussed on another thread, but I don't know how to find what threads I participated in so I can send it to you.

So i will tell you how.

DirecTV's new app as of Aug 2016 has a built in GenieGo. Good news! The problem is, no one wants to watch it solely on their phone or tablet. We want to watch it on something bigger.

I will give you two solutions: Android and iOS: Both of these solutions require that you have the content downloaded already. This can also work for anything anything else you want to mirror from your phone like NetFlix if you have WiFi.

Android
1. Get this ScreenBeamMini2, it is very easy to setup.
2. That's it. Android is easy.

iOS
1. Get a router. This will act as a bridge between the devices. I got the MiniRouter. This router will NOT have internet, but allows your iOS devices to talk to one another Have your AppleTV and your iOS (Mac, iPhone, iPads, etc) connect to it just to get WiFi, NO internet.
2. Get an AppleTV
3. Get an HDMI cable from AppleTV to TV
4. This solution requires you have a little network knowledge in setting it up.

If you want to get and have multiple devices, AppleTV, DirecTV STB, Roku, etc, you can get an HDMI switcher. If you really want to get fancy and put two TV's in your AS, get an HDMI matrix and a wireless HDMI.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Believe it or not you still may have problems! DIRECTV needs to validate your device. If you are on the net either through cell or router it will be able to do so and then play your previously downloaded content. You will use a very small amount of data for the validation. If you are not connected you need to be sure you are NOT in Airplane mode. If there is no internet, DIRECTV will look for it and then determine you have no connectivity and will allow your content to play. Now for the problem I have experienced. If you have a router that is NOT connected to the web, DIRECTV thinks that the router is a service and will attempt, unsuccessfully, to validate and will NOT play your downloaded content. Ugh. The way my genius son helped with this is to pair my iPad with the downloads on it, to my iPhone that is connect to the web via cell. We connect the iPad to Apple TV via the iPhone. Mirror the iPad and Bob's your uncle. Easy huh? (hummm)

From the son: I'd mention that you are tethering both the iPad and the Apple TV to the iPhone's "personal hotspot". They're all on the same network so airplay works and they have access to the internet through the phones cellular data.

Does this make sense? Are we missing something?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote