Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #121
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Confusing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
OK...To this day I still have not got the direct Tv up and running.I just have not really needed it but now with the change in Feb of next year is coming up I think it is time to start figuring this thing out.

When the change takes place will I need to get a digital converter box to use the antenna on the Airstream so I can pick up local channels.
Depends on your TV. It can be "digital" without having the correct tuner.
The TV needs to have an NTSC (Current) and an ATSC tuner to meet the future. Just because it says High Definition or Wide screen does not mean it will receive over the air signals on Feb 19th or whatever the date is.

If you want to use a TV with only and NTSC tuner and the dish reciever then you will likely need a converter box.

How you need to wire it up will depend on how you have you TV connected to your dish reciever.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
if you are receiving signal over a satellite dish, the signal will already be converted by the dish company. you will need a converter for the signals you get "thru the air" if you are a cable customer, i think they will send a signal you can receive with "old" style equip.
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #123
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin' home View Post
if you are receiving signal over a satellite dish, the signal will already be converted by the dish company. you will need a converter for the signals you get "thru the air" if you are a cable customer, i think they will send a signal you can receive with "old" style equip.
This is correct. You will only need the converter if you are receiving the signal over the air via an antennae and don't have a digital TV.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #124

2008 27' Classic FB
Birmingham , Alabama
I will provide pictures tomorrow...I just had installed the Direct TV slimline dish on the roof of my 28 Classic. I simply press a button, fom inside the AS and the dish unfolds and then searches the sky and finds all 5 different satellites, ka, ku bands...this is the new dish you must have to receive HDTV along with the the receiver box. I takes about 2 minutes for the dish to self-search and find all 5 satellites and then locks into place. If I am parked under trees, I have a switch and go to "plan B" and I run a cable line from the out side of the AC and set up the dish with a tri-pod. I use a meter and I can get the alinment in about 3-4 minutes.

I receive all channels in HDTV and my home town local channels where ever I go, and if i want the local channels of where we're staying, then i just send up the antenna. When I'm ready to leave, I simple push a button and my dish on top folds neatly down and is air tight.

Given the "roll" of the roof on the AS my installer build a ramp of stanless and it looks like factory installed item. So the next time is cold, raining, or I just don't feel like walking out side to set up a pod...I got HDTV.

NOW, they also intalled a bracket on the outside of my AC that will hold up to a 37" HDTV flat screen, and put in this kit that looks like a small storage kit that comes on the side, my HDMI, power, etc, etc. Unreal what they did, looks better than factory...

The side bracket comes off when the TV is down, and a "airstream grey" piece of plastic covers the small, very small hole.

We're looking for a Internet dish that will to do the same thing, but I'm running out of real estate on top...but we will find a solution. I like to go deep into the woods, away from everyone to clear my head and watch TV but keep in touch with my office, via, email.
Need a Interent Dish like the Slimline...just have to find a place to put it...
This is my first airstream, and it's sweet...we also had to get a Tempur-pedic mattress, and I call them, they said not a problem, sent the dimensions and they will have us one in about 4-6 weeks...

I now have an apartment on wheels...

I's unreal what this guy did to my A/S, i had the factory sound system installed, and the sub is under the from seat, he cut a hole and place screen over it, now I can really hear the sub...

For my out side speakers, we bought some Bose Cube computer speakers and it sounds unreal.

I've never been more excited about anything more than this set up...it looks like a NASA project when all the dishes are installed and I get all the games, in HDTV...

I will send pictures after the Iron Bowl this weekend...
Townson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #125

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums, Townson, we're glad to have you with us. Sounds like a really neat set. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote