Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Thanks! While I wait for the BullEye dish stand, I am trying to figure out how to install XM Radio. I will start another thread for that and come back to this one when the stand arrives.
Pat,

Post a link here to your new XM Radio thread, in case I miss it on the Portal. I'd be interested in seeing how to do that also. I've got Sirius in the truck now, so I can add an additional receiver at half price. I was told our 2007 23' Safari's came prewired for satellite radio.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Randy,

The name of the new thread is: add XM to audio-video pkg . Sorry, I do not know how to make a link.

Pat

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #59
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I don't have the audio-video package in our Safari. But, the Sony stereo that came with the Airstream says it is XM ready.

The FM modulator that I installed in the spring to be able to route the TV/DVD audio through the four standard stereo speakers also has a cable with RCA fittings on one end and a combo fitting on the other that is made to plug into an IPod so I can use that as well as the CD player for music. We really have only used the CD player once and that was while we were camping at Top of Georgia Airstream Park which is located in a deep valley with NO radio, TV antenna or cell reception at all. I can't imagine needing or wanting radio badly enough to ever want satellite radio in the Airstream. I think I would probably take the sat dish and receiver and listen to the XM stations that come with Directv rather than pay extra for the XM radio.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #60
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Here is the link to your XM thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...pkg-32920.html

BTW, adding a link is easy, just copy the address of the thread you want to link to (or even the page in the thread you want to link to) and in the "Post Reply" window at the bottom of the thread where you want to place the link, click on the globe and chain link icon just above the window next to the formating commands and paste the address in the link box and click to save. When you save your reply, the name of the thread will appear in blue letters (as above) and that will be the link to the thread. A reader only has to click on the blue thread name and a new window will open with the linked thread open.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
You're right Tom, if you have Directv you already have XM stations available. We have also only used our CD player once, and that was on our shakedown trip just to make sure it worked. Most of the time, I plug my iPod in and play that. Since I already have Sirius, and probably won't get Directv, I was interested in how it hooks up in the trailer. Thanks for the link.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Now is the test

The BullsEye mount came today so I can try to hook up Directv to the AS tomorrow. Thinking it through, some questions come to mind, first being: the dish we will use on the AS has 1 LBN and the cable that is already connected to it is a single cable. With that set up, can we use 2 receivers in the AS and watch 2 different programs on two different tvs? If so, where do we split it?

Our set up for the house has a dish with 3 LBNs, with double cable coming from the dish that is split with one side of the cable going to one receiver and the other half of the cable going to the second receiver. We can watch 2 different programs on two different TVs. That is what I would like to do in the AS.

Thanks for any replies.
Pat
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The single LNB dish means that you can only get one satellite. You need to take the LNB off of the arm it is attached to. You will then be able to see the connector to which the cable is attached. If there are two, you can run a cable from each one to a receiver and you are set (there are actually four on a three LNB dish). If there is only one, you'll need to speak with Dish or someone else to see if you can somehow run two receivers.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Starflyte1,

No, that won't work. You need to have one cable feed per LNB to do multiple things simultaneously. In order to make our dual LNB TiVo work, I had to get two coax lines into the trailer. We tried several things, and eventually just had the factory add a new dual socket receptacle while we were there for other work. It was surprisingly inexpensive, but of course, you have to get to the factory.

It shouldn't be that hard to add one yourself, but there aren't many of us that are adventurous enough to cut holes in our own trailers. I bet a dealer would do it for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Our dish is a dual LNB. It has two cable connections coming off of the back of the LNB and two cables can be attached as described by guy99. It appears to be a single LNB, though. The one we have at home has two receivers plus a DVR attached but only a single LNB showing. See photo of temporary dish set up below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	38762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	38763  

WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Only one

I took the box off the dish where the cable attaches. Our dish only has one hookup for one cable.

Is there a place where I get a different dish this afternoon?

The tripod in the picture is the one that come with your emergency kit?

Thanks,

Pat

AgZep, are you saying we can have just one cable into our tt from the LBN, then split it in the tt? Or, the way I think I understand is that I have to have 2 cables starting at the spot where the LBN connects to the "pole", like I think Guy is saying?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #67

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
dual LNB

It's been a while but I saw dual output LNB's at Walmart. The term dual LNB can be a bit confusing, the LNB can have a single output or dual outputs (dual LNB). Some dishes have multiple LNB's. My home has a single LNB dish with a Dual LNB, two cables coming from it - one cable to each receiver. You need 1 LNB output per receiver

For camping we use a single LNB dish, single output LNB and one receiver.

Photos show the multiple lnb's per dish.
Attached Images

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #68

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Dual LNB photo from Radio Shack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual lnb.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	38771  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #69
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Radio Shack used to sell a splitter that you could use to split the signal once the cable enters the trailer. It is a little pricey. I used one when I installed my parent's dish after they moved. You have to use one specifically for satellite or you will only get half of the channels. You might be just as cheap to buy a new LNB pictured in post #68. They have really come down in price. I believe at the time, my dad paid maybe $49.99 for the splitter and the dual LNB was $99.99--can't remember, though, I could be wrong about the price of the LNB back then.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks for all the help!

We are leaving tomorrow morning and going to the East coast to see the shuttle launch. We will be there until Tuesday, so will be able to go to Radio Shack and see what they have. We will buy anything that will do the trick, within reason. ($100) I have to have HBO Sunday night or we will have to stay in a hotel.

Then we are heading North and have an appointment at JC the 18th. They
are going to install something someone else had installed for satellite.

Finally think I have it fairly clear in my mind what we need to get this done. Until we get the dual set up, we will use the single cable and one receiver.

Thanks again! I never could have figured it out with out all of the replies that I have gotten from all of you.

Pat