Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The cable from our rear compartment cable TV plug runs to a plate in the credenza with two outlets on it. One outlet is from the rear compartment, the other runs up to the plate with the cigarette lighter power outlet, switch, green light, and outlet that connects to the TV. From the factory, there was a short cable jumper between the two outlets. To use a cable box or satellite receiver, you remove the jumper, connect the input of the cable box or satellite receiver to one outlet, and the output of the cable box or satellite receiver to the other. Sorry, but I forget which is which. And it's probably important since the INPUT of a satellite receiver sends a DC voltage to the antenna to power it (and select polarization), and that might damage the existing antenna setup if you got them backwards.

In the rear compartment, you connect either the cable TV or the satellite antenna.

When you want to watch over-the-air TV from the bat wing antenna, you switch the green light on. That indicates power is going to the amplifier in the bat wing antenna. When you want to watch cable or satellite TV, you switch the green light off.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tv

I have been fooling with it but I was wondering what the little gray wire was for.It does say Sat/Cable on it but I have 2 more cable connectors to attach the cable wire to.One is in the cabinet above and the other is near the little jumper cable.I will try that and see what happens tomorrow.Any more help is appreciated.Thanks All.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
There are 3 cables coming out of the back of the plate with the switch and green light on it. One goes up to the batwing antenna. One goes to the plate with the two outlets and jumper, and a third goes to a second TV outlet, which on our unit is on a plate with cigarette lighter power (but no switch or green light) in the bedroom.

[edit] I guess I should add here that when using a cable box or satellite receiver in place of the jumper, you get the same channel on both the front and bedroom TV outlets.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
In a year of fulltiming, we found the stand from these folks to be fantastic:

Accu-Dish, Satellite Dish Stand, Ladder Mount, Leveling Device for RV Travel

It can be filled with water and comes with eyelets for tent pigs at each corner, so it is incredibly stable even in fierce winds. It has a really nifty adjustment on the top so that you can level it instantly, and includes a little bull's eye level right on the top. There's also a compass in the base so you can get the dish oriented right away. It even includes a set of thimb wheels and wing nuts to replace the fasteners on the dish so that you can break the whole thing down or put it together without any tools at all.

I often had ours running 5 minutes after parking. When you pack up, you just disconnect the cables, pull the pegs, empty the water out of the base, and pack it all up.

Trust me, this is one place where spending a few extra bucks makes your life a lot simpler.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep

Trust me, this is one place where spending a few extra bucks makes your life a lot simpler.
What was the cost?......thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had Direct TV and switched to Dish. Both are about the same in quality vs. value, with Dish being slightly less.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
What was the cost?......thanks
Can't remember, as we bought it about three years ago. I'm thinking somewhere around $65, but my memory could be fuzzy. Given how useful the thing is, whatever it cost was reasonable.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Your Safari came pre-wired for satellite. That means the cable used in your walls has the right insulation in the jacket for the satellite. I think you will need to press the button the same as if you were hooking up to cable so the signal comes from the cable wire and not the bat wing antennae. You would just hook the satellite cable up to the regular cable connection on the outside of you Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sunday afternoon I called Directv and ordered their Directv Disaster Readiness Kit. On my first call, the lady I spoke to referred me to Wineguard. When I called back, the guy I talked to found it under temporary installation dish. It arrived Tuesday via FedEx. Price including overnight shipping was just under $84. It includes an 18" dish, dual LNB, tripod, 50' of coax, phillips head screwdriver, appropriate wrench, level, compass, instruction manual, anchor stakes, and installation DVD. In the last line of the DVD, the narrator says "so whether your [permanent] satellite dish is knocked out by a storm or you are away from home camping,..." so they plan on you using their temporary installation dish as a camping setup.

I will say this, their tripod is not exactly what I would have chosen as my first option. It doesn't have adjustable length legs. But, it does look very sturdy in the DVD. I plan on assembling everything this weekend so it is ready for our trip to St. George Island, FL over Memorial Day Weekend.

I got the dish mostly for those occasions when cable either isn't furnished or is either so basic or of such poor quality that it isn't worth bothering with as was the case this past weekend (lots of channels, just the ones we wanted to watch had a lot of snow in them). I'm assuming that I won't have to change the wiring set up in the cable plate to use satellite and change it back when we have cable provided, will I?

Now I just need a satellite finder.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
May be worth checking.

The other day I was reading on Sirius.com about a new backseat tv system they have. Right now it only has a few channels but I think Disney is one of them. I have not personnaly seen the units or their quality, but their radio rocks. Also they have the tiny antenna that merely needs to see sky. I'm sure this system will advance over time and the old dishes will be obsolete. You might also check at a Dodge dealership to look at one as they are putting them in select vehicles as an option. Sorry I don't know more about the system but it sounded neat.

The bad thing with new tech stuff is it is usually pricey. $$$

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
SIRIUS Satellite Radio - New: SIRIUS Backseat TV

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I just use a dual LNB dish mounted to a piece of 4X4. Got my extra dish at the solid waste facility.
Folks, you all need to get the DirecTV sat receiver with the built in off air ATSC tuner. That way you can get local stations in digital format off air, for free!!!! You just enter the zip code you are located in, and the reciever automatically searches for channels in your area, and puts them in the channel directory! Works really cool and lets you input 2 zip codes if you are between cities.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Have you looked at the Sling Box? This is a device that lets you view your cable or Sat. from home via the Internet. This also lets you see your local stations for news or what ever. We have one and it works pretty good depending on your Internet connection. I think I remember you got a Verison card? Another advantage is there are not any monthly charges. The boxes run a couple hundred bucks depending on the model you get. Check it out.
Phil
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Pick, did the dish you picked up at the solid waste facility come with the built in off air ATSC tuner? And, is it only to pick up local chanels?

Pat