Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cutting the cord

I am in the process of selling my house and hitting the road. I have always had my internet and email thru Cableone. I have an IPhone thru Verizon with another year on the current phone contract. What do I need to do about an email address and Internet access once I cut the cord?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a yahoo.com email address, and am a longtime Verizon customer.

If you are going to full time, might look into adding Verizon's mifi to your contract, which carries your private and secure internet access with you wherever you go.

A lot of campgrounds have wifi, but it is unreliable across the board and best to have your own for banking, credit cards, etc.

Maggie
Old 10-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Verizon is a good choice in the west as far as rural coverage goes. I have T-Mobile, which I love, but bought a Verizon JetPack so I could occasionally work while on the road. T-Mobile fades out fast once you leave cities.

AT&T is very good, but not quite as good in the rural west.

It's easy enough to get an email address that's not tied to your carrier. GMail is probably the most widely used.

Get ready to rethink how you use the internet, in any situation where you are relying on cellular. Get an ad blocker as it cuts the data use on websites by as much as 80%. Don't even think of using NetFlix, unless you want to pay about $10 a movie.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Mobile WiFi

I have three phones, plus one mobile WiFi from Verizon. The nice aspect is the Hot spot can be taken with you to where ever you go, use you computer in the wild as long as Verizon service is present.

However, if one downloads huge files, as I do with photos, this can use lots of data, and I currently have 20GB per month, marginal.

So, McDonalds is great. A Senior coffee, 6 AM, the bandwidth is very nice, allows lots of data moving without killing your allowance on the mobile wifi.

While there may be other carriers, it has been my experience Verizon covers some areas exclusively, like my land in Colorado where I visit often.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
When using the the public WiFi, McDonalds, Starbucks, and the many others what safety or security measures do you use to keep your computer and data safe.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
When using the the public WiFi, McDonalds, Starbucks, and the many others what safety or security measures do you use to keep your computer and data safe.
The main thing is, set your device so that it is not detectable by other devices on the same network. That's generally an option you can set when logging in.

If you want to sync data between your phone and laptop or tablet, don't use anyone else's WiFi hotspot. Set your smartphone as a hotspot, log into it from the laptop and/or tablet, and sync using your own network. You'll be using your phone's data plan for syncing, but it's much more secure than using someone else's hotspot.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
In theory there are risks, but in practice the only real risk with public WiFi is connecting to a malicious network. If you see something called "Free WiFi" best to skip it.

If it's McDonalds or Starbucks you're good. If you see two networks, something like "McDonalds" and "McDonalds WiFi" find out which one is the official one.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Okay Protag as an example:

When at Starbucks (just an example) with my laptop and I want to do something that uses lots of data (maybe some videos or maybe photos like Msmoto said).

I have a MiFi but I'm choosing to save its data usage and don't use it.

I want to practice safe public WiFi.

I go to my internet browser on my laptop, it pops up a WiFi setting for where I'm at. I choose it and before or as I sign on I find a setting on my laptop to block other nearby users access to my laptop's information.

Sorry for the basic question but up until now we have used our cellphones or MiFi and steered away from free public wifi.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Sounds like you want to get rid of all cell phone, then you are stuck with public access WIFI which I wouldn't want to use to do online banking etc.

I use Apple's Mail so my email doesn't change whether I switch carrier to carrier or ISP to ISP. You can use it over public WIFI and connect via www.icloud.com.

I use the Verizon hotspot on my iPhone 6 to connect other devices. I only have a 2g data plan and didn't over use it on my recent 2 week trip to Utah. I don't stream video or do any software upgrades while on cell data.

Kelvin
Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
After about 8 months on the road, and even before that traveling the country, I have yet to be disappointed by my Verizon Mifi. We purchased one of the grandfather plans awhile ago. But even still, it's worth the cost. We have two iphones as well on our plan. So as another mentioned, I would consider adding the mifi to your plan. PS, if you go off contract, you can hassle them regularly to reduce your bill. But you have to accept paying for hardware upfront. I pay lower than friends with subsided phones because I call ever 9 months and threaten to switch. Most folks won't even make the call.

As for security on networks that are not yours, I use PureVPN to provide me with 256-bit encryption and total anonymity for all my web traffic.

There are other services like privateinternetaccess.com‎ that are worth their weight in gold. I'm a strong advocate for VPN's since I work in tech. I have to use a fixed IP to access our servers, and this is how I do that in a secure fashion.

As for email, apple mail is ok, but I personally prefer gmail. I have used a business account with google apps since 2009 and have my email at my own domain @mk3y.com for myself and my wife. I'd have it no other way. Yahoo doesn't hold a candle to Gmail.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks for the inputs, plenty to think about.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Exciting news about cutting the cord, if anyone can succeed I believe you can. Good luck, remember slow and deliberate gets things done with lasting results.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you are using a Macintosh computer, be sure your file sharing is turned off when using public wifi connections.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Won't you feel kinda naked not having at least a phone to call for emergencies or talk to family? At least get a prepaid phone.

Kelvin
Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We've been using Cloak VPN on public wifi for our iPhones, iPads, and our MacBooks. It seems to work well, though I don't know whether it would be as fast as Pure VPN.

https://www.getcloak.com/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote