Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
CradlePoint CTR35 wifi as wan

Has anyone tried this as a solution to get RV park WiFi into your airstream/Faraday cage? My signal is usually good by my windows but is poor everywhere else. I figure if I position this by one of my windows it will then provide me with my own network inside my trailer with good signal quality. It works with my 3g modem too. The only drawback I see is there is no antenna port but I just need it to get the RV park signal better in my trailer.

CradlePoint CTR35 Wireless N Portable Router, Includes WiFi as WAN Firmware 3.3.0 [CTR35] : 3Gstore.com

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Cradlepoint routers are generally very good, and the 3G store provides excellent service and backup for the things they sell.

I have been using a Cradlepoint 350 router in my car with my Verizon USB 720 modem for several years now. It has been a very reliable system allowing me to just leave the modem and router connected in the car (draw is about 0.3 amps) and have wi fi in my trailer. Here at my winter home I use the same Verizon USB modem with a Cradlepoint 1000 router for coverage all over the house. When I go out traveling, and need the computer, I just move the modem from one router to the other. Slick, fast and easy.

I was unaware that Cradlepoint had the new CTR 35 router, with the ability to repeat wi fi signals, so I cannot comment on it. However, my experience with wi fi range extenders has not been good, and I can only hope that Cradlepoint has made it a simple process to do. Most range extenders are anything but reliable or simple. But Cradlepoint and 3G store are good at solving problems with what they sell, so at least you have a running chance.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have used the JEFA Tech Long-range WiFi repeater ( JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs ) for about 6 months now and are very pleased with it. We used a wired system before ( cell phone reception - Page 2 - Airstream Forums ), but switched after the software became out of date and could not be upgraded.

I believe an external antenna, such as we used before and now (with the JEFA system), helps a lot in getting the WiFi signal into the aluminum shell of our Airstreams.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Cradlepoint routers are generally very good, and the 3G store provides excellent service and backup for the things they sell.

I was unaware that Cradlepoint had the new CTR 35 router, with the ability to repeat wi fi signals, so I cannot comment on it. However, my experience with wi fi range extenders has not been good, and I can only hope that Cradlepoint has made it a simple process to do. Most range extenders are anything but reliable or simple. But Cradlepoint and 3G store are good at solving problems with what they sell, so at least you have a running chance.
Yes I love my cradlepoint phs300 but it doesn't have the new wifi as lan feature. I too have had bad luck with repeater and expanders. It is too much of a crapshoot getting them configured to various rv park routers. Supposedly the CTR 35 router picks up wifi signals just like a computer does and it even shows the db strength so you can place it in the best spot....almost seems too good to be true. I just ordered one so I guess I'll find out.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would get something with an antenna input for one of these. Having an outside antenna would help a lot. Even if you just run a cable through a window or something and put a suction cup on it to hold it on. I am going to do some more research. It may well be a conventional router can be configured this way with some open source firmware like Tomato.

Newegg.com - Amped Wireless A8EX High Power 8dBi Omni-Directional Outdoor WiFi Antenna Kit

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would get something with an antenna input for one of these. Having an outside antenna would help a lot. Even if you just run a cable through a window or something and put a suction cup on it to hold it on. I am going to do some more research. It may well be a conventional router can be configured this way with some open source firmware like Tomato.

Newegg.com - Amped Wireless A8EX High Power 8dBi Omni-Directional Outdoor WiFi Antenna Kit

Perry
That's a good idea too, I pretty much have an external antenna and wilson amp that will do the same thing but don't have a router with an antenna port. I tried installing tomato and dd-wrt firmware on my existing router but it was not compatible. I might just try to hook my external antenna/wilson amp to an internal antenna and then just use the CTR 35 router in wifi as lan mode.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Cantenna

I don't see an antenna connection on it, so I'd be afraid that you're still inside the "Faraday Cage" shell of the Airstream. Without an antenna, I don't see how your coverage will improve.

I've had great luck with a Cantenna connected to a Buffalo router running dd-wrt software. Picks up a LOT of available wi-fi. I can post more details if you want.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
I don't see an antenna connection on it, so I'd be afraid that you're still inside the "Faraday Cage" shell of the Airstream. Without an antenna, I don't see how your coverage will improve.

I've had great luck with a Cantenna connected to a Buffalo router running dd-wrt software. Picks up a LOT of available wi-fi. I can post more details if you want.
I was hoping to just put it by a window, but I agree an outside antenna is the way to go. I would be interested in the details of your cantenna and your dd-wrt compatible router.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
We have used the JEFA Tech Long-range WiFi repeater ( JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs ) for about 6 months now and are very pleased with it. We used a wired system before ( cell phone reception - Page 2 - Airstream Forums ), but switched after the software became out of date and could not be upgraded.

I believe an external antenna, such as we used before and now (with the JEFA system), helps a lot in getting the WiFi signal into the aluminum shell of our Airstreams.

Tim
Thanks for this post - I think it's exactly what I've been looking for for our camper. (I showed the page to my wife, and she said, "Start saving your change." ) I do have some questions, though, if you don't mind...

1. When you go to a new campground, do you have to go into the config page to set up which network you want repeated?

2. If you go back to a campground you previously visited, does it automatically repeat the network it already knows about? For example, on my laptop and phone, I only have to set up each network once; when I go near that network later, it automatically uses the network. I'm wondering whether the JEFA Tech setup does the same thing, or if you have to do something to set it up every time.

Thanks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post

Tim
Yeah I think I'll go with the JEFA kit instead because I think I do need a good antenna and I won't have to fool around with pointing.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That kit is the antenna like I sent you before and this router with DD-WRT firmware.

Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g up to 54Mbps/ Compatible with Open Source DD-WRT (not pre-load)

So if it is worth the extra $50 to have someone else deal with the software/firmware issues then it is a good deal.

Perry
Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
I mounted a Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP with an 8dBi antenna on the batwing antenna on the roof and a DLink router inside. It uses a POE injector to power the Bullet, but the only wire that comes in from outside is an Ethernet cable.

It works differently than a Jefa Tech as it does not contend on the same WiFi channel. It rebroadcasts on an independent WiFi channel. If there are more than one Jefa Tech style repeaters in an area, the bandwidth can be very limited for everyone.

You have to select the outside network on the Bullet through a web interface, but all other devices just have to have the SSID and pre-shared key of the inside router.

Total cost was under $160

Paul
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is a thread I started on this at anandtech.com. This is the place for anything computer geeky. We are using the wrong terminology. This is called wireless repeater. I am not sure where the term Wifi as WAN came from and I am not sure it is accurate. I think the term should be Wifi as LAN. A repeater and Wifi as LAN maybe different I am trying to get some resolution to that.

Wifi as WAN - AnandTech Forums

Perry
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In this specific case, I think they're using the "Wifi as WAN" term because their product is primarily a WWAN interface (using various wireless providers' 3G and 4G devices for WAN connectivity and distributing that within an RV via wifi.) The feature they're calling Wifi as WAN allows you to connect to the internet via an external wifi network but leave the rest of the devices within your RV configured as they are when you're using a WWAN service. It's not an industry-standard term, it's their name for their particular device's repeater functionality.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That kit is the antenna like I sent you before and this router with DD-WRT firmware.

Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g up to 54Mbps/ Compatible with Open Source DD-WRT (not pre-load)

So if it is worth the extra $50 to have someone else deal with the software/firmware issues then it is a good deal.

Perry
I thought about it but they write their own custom firmware and offer tech support.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
It works differently than a Jefa Tech as it does not contend on the same WiFi channel. It rebroadcasts on an independent WiFi channel. If there are more than one Jefa Tech style repeaters in an area, the bandwidth can be very limited for everyone.

Paul
I'm not sure I understand, why would more than one repeater in an area restrict bandwidth?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I'm not sure I understand, why would more than one repeater in an area restrict bandwidth?
Please take a look at this post on another RV forum. It explains it well.

WiFi repeaters, extenders, enhancers, elongators, whatever... - iRV2 Forums

Paul
Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
1. When you go to a new campground, do you have to go into the config page to set up which network you want repeated?

2. If you go back to a campground you previously visited, does it automatically repeat the network it already knows about? For example, on my laptop and phone, I only have to set up each network once; when I go near that network later, it automatically uses the network. I'm wondering whether the JEFA Tech setup does the same thing, or if you have to do something to set it up every time.
Sorry I did not respond sooner. You have to tell the JEFA Tech setup each time what network to connect to. That is easy to do via a web browser. If we are in a location with external power and WiFi, we leave the repeater on the entire time we are there which avoids reconnecting all the time.

Apparently the JEFA Tech repeater will work on the trailer's 12v system, but I believe that isn't covered by the warranty.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would think a better solution would be to have a CAT5 connection in the power box at the campground instead of this Wifi mess. If you are going to get good signal in your trailer you pretty much have to have a repeater. If you want your own private network in the trailer then you need two routers. One configured as a repeater and the other configured as a router. You still are impacting bandwidth no matter what you do.

I have an online motorcycle parts business. When we are traveling it is a pain to do business stuff because of no internet. Usually we end up going to McDonalds or the local library for internet access. I don't like the cell network connections because of the expense and bandwidth metering. Maybe by the time I am able to travel for more than a week they will have some better solutions.

Perry
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Alpharetta , Georgia
I am currently at TopSail and a long way from the WiFi service. Our wireless devices cannot even see the park WiFi service.

With my Bullet 2HP and 8dBi antenna we are able to connect to the park WiFi and have had good WiFi in the Motorhome all week!

Paul