Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bray View Post
Somehow I knew when I started this thread that it would evolve into a different discussion.

What I was hoping for was that someone would come up with some other suggestions related to using satellites that I hadn't found.

Tom Bray
What sort of suggestions were you thinking of Tom? I too have been looking at sat service pretty closely and need to make the leap before next summer. I hope my comments didn't move your thread off topic.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
I was hoping that there was some nifty commercial service that had popped up since the last time I did serious searching two years ago.

If there were reasonable alternatives, I could also justify doing some of my work on the road instead of being office bound.

My gut feeling is that the best on the road service is going to be plugging a blackberry into the computer. I just have to get more comfortable with idea of carrying around a PDA for phone (I chucked my PDA about 8 years ago).

Tom Bray

Old 06-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have you checked out "Internet in Motion"? Internet In Motion, mobile internet access It's a solution that might work for you and is not as expensive as a regular satellite connection.

When I was doing this sort of research for myself because I wanted to be able to work while on the road, I finally decided on the air card option because I didn't want to invest in all the electronic equipment ($$) that is likely to be obsolete in a matter of a few years. When my air card contract runs out I will re-think the topic to see if things have changed enough to warrant another direction...

I am a graphic designer and have to move large files and I have found that between email attachments (albeit with some limitations in file size) and the use of FTP sites for transferring larger files, I can get along nicely while on the road and work seamlessly...as long as I can get a cell signal. Clients don't even know I'm in an Airstream "studio" while dealing with their needs unless I tell them. Our style of travel has not left us in too many places where the air card doesn't work and if that becomes a issue, then the booster antenna option is still out there.

I realize the thread is about satellite connectivity, but no discussion of satellite would be complete without including info about air cards options. After all, the end goal is getting connected.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
The problem is that there are still LOTS of boondock areas where there is NO cell signal ... and lots of areas down in low areas (like near trout streams!!!) where there is no horizontal line of sight that might be useful with a big-time booster antenna, but such sites often have perfect "up" line of sight. So I too have been looking - with marginal success for some sort of reasonably-priced satellite up and down link service. Seems that the technology just isn't mature for that yet. And given that MOST areas do have cell link available, so that aircards will work there, there's not a lot of economic incentive to develop new systems.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #19

Dexter , Missouri
I am using the Verizon usb card in a mobile router. I have an amp and a Wilson Trucker antenna mounted to one of my solar panel frames. I have only lost signal twice for shot distances, both out west in the desert. We do a lot of remote boondocking and I have a beam antenna that I can use if needed. So far I have not had to use it. I had planned to use the satellite set up but in the last 12 months the Verizon setup has come a long ways. Certainly there are places the card is not going to work, however I have no buisness that deep into the wilderness.
Dan
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
I was hoping that there was some nifty commercial service that had popped up since the last time I did serious searching two years ago.

Tom Bray
Tom, I may have a line on just that. The service would be (I think) through direcway/hughes though, which I think you said you didn't care for. If I can get it worked out I may set up a system later this summer or fall. I will keep everyone posted with what I come up with.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
I was hoping that there was some nifty commercial service that had popped up since the last time I did serious searching two years ago...
hi tom, the point IS that not much really has changed in that time on the sat side...

if u search a little here there are several starter/fishing threads and NOT MUCH biting...

and they almost ALL include folks who've opted for the air cards, mostly from vzw or alltel and a few eyephone...

on the sat side...

monthly fee is a little less, primary equipment is a little less..

and the vendors have consolidated. that's about it.

u might pm gunny, as he uses (and likes the high speed sat "internet in motion" stuff...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...usmc-2251.html

i can do without the tv side too, BUT if u r gonna go sat, might as well add the tele package...

on the cell side, the dark spaces keep shrinking.

several stops i camped at last year had NO coverage and now do...

while the equipment costs AND monthly keep going down...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
I think I have made my decision. We needed new cell phones and stopped at the Alltel store this week. We now have a couple of Blackberries that we can plug the computer into when on the road and we don't have WIFI. It also has built in maps, that is good enough and if we have cell service we can always look up something on MapQuest.

My only beef with Alltel is that they disabled the WIFI in the Blackberry. The alternative around here is TMobile but the coverage is terrible here. I understand AT&T also disables the WIFI.

Another plus is that I can use my old cell phone repeater for now, I will upgrade to a multi-band one when Alltel switches.

Between the computer, cellphone, ham radio, and the OnStar on the truck I think I have things pretty well covered.

Tom Bray
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Cell service

Quote:
I think I have made my decision. We needed new cell phones and stopped at the Alltel store this week. We now have a couple of Blackberries that we can plug the computer into when on the road and we don't have WIFI. It also has built in maps, that is good enough and if we have cell service we can always look up something on MapQuest.

My only beef with Alltel is that they disabled the WIFI in the Blackberry. The alternative around here is TMobile but the coverage is terrible here. I understand AT&T also disables the WIFI.

Another plus is that I can use my old cell phone repeater for now, I will upgrade to a multi-band one when Alltel switches.

Between the computer, cellphone, ham radio, and the OnStar on the truck I think I have things pretty well covered.

Tom Bray
Tom,
Are you sure there is no Verizon store near you or maybe in a near city that you can go to? If not you can get everything done online as well, pick your service w/internet, the phone you want, everything and then they will send it to ya by Fedex/UPS ready to go. Pay your bill online, change your service, everyting, Check out Verizon.com.
I can tell you from experience that you would be much happier with Verizon. Larger coverage area, less dead zones, better service, all the things you need to count on.

Sarge
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
Yes there is Verizon in Montgomery. But ... coverage here is less than stellar to put it in a polite tone of voice.

Everyone around here uses TMobile for their connectivity. Then they complain about no signal. At work they get around it by using WiFi.

I also figure that in the next year or so my Alltel bill will say Verizon anyway. I just hope that Alltel didn't deactivate too much of the Blackberry so that when the time comes to upgrade to the newer standards I don't have to replace the phone.

I will see how it goes with this new service. The interesting item will be what happens when we are roaming outside of Alltel's reach.

Tom Bray