Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Changing my wireless set up

Currently, I have a Verizon air card that I use for internet. I have had this set up several years and it works great. Love it. BUT the other day I was on the Verizon website poking around. While there I was admiring those new Blackberries with broadband.

It turns out that I can drop the wireless card and have internet on the phone AND my computer while paying a bit LESS than I am paying now. Whats more, I can go month by month on the feature that lets me use the phone as an air card for the laptop, which will save something like $30 a month when its off.

I pick up the new phone tomorrow. Tonight I am checking out apps like weather, navigation, and gas finders. Anyone using a blackberry like this? Know any cool (free) apps?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I tethered a non 3G BB for a few months, the setup was kinda complicated and it was only a bit more to get an aircard. A buddy with an apple had a horrible time getting the same setup to function. We both finally gave up and now have the BB an aircard

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have Verizon and get unlimited internet use on a laptop wired to my EVDO cell phone for $25/mo. I've been doing this for three years now, and it works great.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thanks for the heads up on the issues you had. Since there is a 30 day test drive, I'm going to go ahead and give it a whirl. I'm hopeful that they have the bugs worked out.

and the
My Blog

Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use a BB 8830 on tether and bluetooth with a couple of different laptops. I am currently in the ATL area using bt and getting downloads in the 300kbps range with uploads running around 110kbps. I have no clue what my costs are, it is rolled in as part of a family plan with 5 other phones on it.

I have had very little trouble with my BB even though it is one of the older models and the software is getting a bit dated. I do hope to upgrade to the Tour model early next year.

For massive amounts of information go to Crackberry

Different service providers have different issues too. FWIW I use Verizon and other than their being very slow to release software upgrades and locking out some features of the BB I have been happy with the service. There are ways to update the software past what is available from your service provider...but I didn't tell you that

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I use TeleNav GPS Navigator on my Blackberry. It's a nice program that has built in searches for fuel based on price and many other things. I use it on the road to find things like Starbucks and other necessities. It does cost $10 per month.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Forgot to add, my favorite features are the Google Maps satellite view, BB maps with GPS tracking, and having pretty much full access to my Google account(s).

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I've had my BB for 6 months now and I love it. I love the Google apps; reader,news and mail. With Google Reader I can follow all the new listings here on Air Forums... I have tethered my laptop and it was easy to use. I find that I get all the info I need just with the BB so I don't tether too often. Another handy site that I use with the BB was a RV Dumping Station Locator website (really came in handy on one long weekend when the parks dump station had long lineups) Oh I almost forgot the best site that I visit is the Government Doppler Radar sites (available here in Canada). One time I watched a really bad storm skirt by us. I was ready to hitch the trailer up and high tail it to a safer area.

Regards

Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you like Google apps, you've probably seen this one, but maybe not...

1-800-GOOG-411: Find and connect with local businesses for free from your phone.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have Verizon and get unlimited internet use on a laptop wired to my EVDO cell phone for $25/mo. I've been doing this for three years now, and it works great.

Brian
We also use an EVDO phone...the LG Dare...for internet use while on the road. The advantage is that we can turn the broadband feature on and off. There are very few places that we have been that we were unable to get Verizon service, since we also have an antenna on the roof of the AS. I think our rate is closer to $40/month when we turn it on...although, this charge seems to be dropping. They also prorate this charge....so, if you are only gone for a week, it's $10.

And....it works GREAT!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
We went with the MIFI 2200 and really like it so far. Our plan is metered at 5 GB for the cost of $59.95/mo. but I have not come close to using it all. I dropped my home dsl and phone and I am actually saving money. My wife and I can both be on our laptops at the same time and it works great everywhere we have been and with good speed. It sure is nice not to have to depend on the wireless clouds at the CGs!
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
While our MacBook with Airport worked pretty good, we now have an Apple IPhone 3GS which replaces the lap top and two cell phones. It allows access to the web, GPS, music, video, great coverage, and at last count, 40,000 apps.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Got it!

I have had my Blackberry Tour for a couple days now. Its going to take some getting used to, but the early verdict is.... I LOVE it! The speaker isn't all I could ask for in terms of sound quality, but the upsides outweigh that. Upsides: email everywhere, internet everywhere (albeit on a very small screen), instant messaging, and oh yeah: GPS.

The Blackberry Map application is really nice and accurate on GPS. I took it on a 3 mile walk here at the farm and it was dead-on in terms of the creeks (and these are not major landmarks). I think you can get topos to download and use with this program. It also searches local services- fuel, coffee, ect. You can pay more for the Verizon Navagator app which gives turn by turn, but I dont see the Blackberry as practicle for driving given the screen size.

I havent gotten to use the teathering function yet, but I am assuming it should be pretty much identical to the aircard I had with them.

and the
My Blog