Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Just in case you do wind up having to get another, I'd recommend doing some shopping, comparing on-sale prices to reviews. I'm doing some shopping now; the site I use (linked below) collects daily bargains from all sorts of stores and manufacturers. Shop for a couple of weeks until you get a feel for what you want, how it's rated, and what it's worth.

www.techbargains.com

Lynn
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
TG Twinkie,

Curious how you made out....? A new one for your birthday?

Regarding this problem: if I go two or three levels into something and then back out to my email page; everything locks up. Get the message "Program Not Responding". "End Task" does not get me out of it. I have to do the old CTRL; ALT; DEL thing and then restore the desktop when it comes back up.

My take is that this stresses our your memory and maybe CPU speed, assuming your cache is kept clean.

Simple remedy: don't back out. Load a new instance of the site you want. Keep a few links on your desktop to those most often used sites, in order make this go quicker.

In your place, I would splash out for a net book. A good one is only $250, and is much more convenient than any old machine. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Some Success

I took the old laptop on our trip to Mesa Verde; 10 days, GREAT time. It worked for getting on the internet and checking email. As a matter of fact; it worked better on the road with the Wifi card than it does in my own house. I made it simple at home; just use the ethernet cable.
I'll keep that in mind about backing out of things.
Good news though; just had my 66th birthday. That's not the news. The news is; I now have an iPod "Touch". This thing is amazing! I'm still learning about what it is capable of. My thumbs are about the size of bananas so I have to use my index finger to enter things. I'm getting better with practice. I'm almost as fast as the "H" & "P' method I use on this old laptop. I take it;(the iPod) everywhere I go; NO! not to bed. I use the note pad quite frequently, no more pencil and pocket note book. At this age, memory is the first thing to go and I forgot the second.
Thanks for all of the input.
Maybe sometime in the future I will upgrade to a new laptop. But right now, I would rather spend the money on traveling.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Happy Birthday!
Nice birthday gift.
Now that you fixed up the old unit what are you going to do with it?
Its hard to throw anything away that still works.
Now we know where you are everytime you turn on that iPod with that built in GPS?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I took the old laptop on our trip to Mesa Verde; 10 days, GREAT time. It worked for getting on the internet and checking email. As a matter of fact; it worked better on the road with the Wifi card than it does in my own house. I made it simple at home; just use the ethernet cable.
I'll keep that in mind about backing out of things.
Good news though; just had my 66th birthday. That's not the news. The news is; I now have an iPod "Touch". This thing is amazing! I'm still learning about what it is capable of. My thumbs are about the size of bananas so I have to use my index finger to enter things. I'm getting better with practice. I'm almost as fast as the "H" & "P' method I use on this old laptop. I take it;(the iPod) everywhere I go; NO! not to bed. I use the note pad quite frequently, no more pencil and pocket note book. At this age, memory is the first thing to go and I forgot the second.
Thanks for all of the input.
Maybe sometime in the future I will upgrade to a new laptop. But right now, I would rather spend the money on traveling.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops and with the addition of a 12" net-top (smaller than a laptop but bigger than a netbook) I will never regularly use an undersized or oversized computer again. Smaller than 10" is just too small and bigger than 12" is hardly portable.

If it is for just basic tasks, donate the old computer as was suggested and find an ASUS. Do not buy an ACER, HP or any of the other garbage. If you need to know what I am talking about, go to Best Buy and put your hands on some machines. ASUS is Mac-like in build quality and function at 1/3 the price.

Yeah thats right all you craptastic laptop manufacturers, I'm throwing down the gauntlet. Until I see something that is as good or better than an ASUS (and I dont mean on paper alone) I am not going to even consider anything else.

Readily available for CHEAP. Asus Epc like this one I see on Craigslist constantly for around $150. $200 new on sale.
Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 1001PXD-EU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black): Computer & Accessories
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'll hang on

I'll hang on to the old laptop. With a 14" screen it's a lot easier to surf the net, look at my photo's. Make sketches of items to help forum members and post photos here. Even though I can't type any faster here on the laptop than I can on the IPod. I mean I still use a mouse; how draconian is that? I'm not into the games or anything that requires super fast speed and a lot of memory. Although, I'm constantly getting notices that my "Browser" is out of date. With XP I can't upgrade as far as I know. So there are limitations. But I'll live with them for now.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #27

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
It's too old TG twinkie, you need to upgrade your Operating system, well the least is Windows XP. It will work but it will run so slow or better add upgrade your memory but you can't find it now. We are at DDR3 and SDRAM I think was phaseout for a longtime. So good luck in browsing just open single application so that it won't hang much.
simoncarl is offline   Reply With Quote