Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Broadband to Mac base station?

We use a Mac Time Capsule Wi-Fi base station at home. Planning our winter trip. Is there any way to use a mobile broadband signal with the Time Capsule?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
I did it with my verizon MIFI (wirelessly) but now I use a hardwired cradle point router CTR500 with an alltel usb broadband modem.
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
So you did not use the Time Capsule?

Your CR500 is hardwired to your computer, rather than using the Wi-Fi feature? Do you receive a better broadband signal this way?

I am extremely non-tech at this point in my life. Could anyone offer and itemize a high quality broadband router set-up (antennae, amplifier, router, air card, as needed) to supply two Imac's in our Airstream for a several month trip? I like what I read about the Cradle Point CR500, if the Broadband signal cannot work with the Mac Time Capsule. We will have a generator or hookups for AC power most of the time.

Doug
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
_

. , .
antenna and amp (the need, if at all) depends on where u plan to go...

the air card (price and service $ aside) depend on coverage/location.

so ULTIMATELY the gear choices depend on PROVIDER of signal choice.

make that decision and the seemingly unlimited equipment choices become easier to manage
________

cradlepoint makes a variety of routers that accept bband cards usb or pcmcia/express 34 slots.

these do incorporate wifi and will run on either ac or dc power.

the imacs are the cumbersome issue since not truly portables, but this is solvable.

with built in wifi they are easily linked to the cradlepoint wifi signal

after the cp/broadband card grabs the cellular feed.

not ALL bband cards (from the signal providers) accept antenna or amp connections...

and not all cards work in all routers, so CHECK COMPATIBILITY info in the last link below.

while there are new bits available on a regular basis,

the older threads on this stuff are STILL uptodate...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ter-64512.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ups-30168.html

there are only a few dozen threads in this subforum,

so they can be scanned quickly OR searched by brand/model/vendor terms.
_________

or visit the vendor site/call them, describe your needs and they'll suggest a short o'products and solutions.

What is EVDO / Mobile Broadband? : EVDOinfo.com

the last site linked REALLY is a...

one stop/learn/shop/select/buy/configure/get help destination..

and they understand mac and take phone calls.
________

many heavy users here use...

wilson antenna/amps, cradlepoint routers/wifi and data cards plans from the major players.

with others using combinations

that incorporate their existing bits (tethering phones, black berry, satellites)

like shopping steams,

it does help to describe WHAT u wanna do, how often, where and with how much $ ...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
I haven't used it but this looks like a possible solution that will work with time capsule

Next Exit: Wireless Freedom!

Good luck

Ed
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
_

. , .
the packaged products AT that link...

are basically RElabled wilson/cradlepoint bits with an UPcharge.

so yes that stuff will work, it's the same stuff.
________

t'capsule has ethernet ports...

it can be connected DIRECTLY to many of these routers that accept broadband cards, IF that is needed.

the cp mbr1000 for example has 3 e'net ports for wired connections to stuff.

keep in mind t'c is a storage/back up device primarily, automated to easily work with T'machine.

but it is NOT spec'd specifically for MOBILE use.

that means it takes AC power and the drive isn't 'movement or weather friendly'.

IF planning to carry the TC,

consider leaving it turned OFF and UnPLUGGED, stored in a cushions/moisture proof thing...

except when doing a back up, then power it up, plug it in and use it.

which is basically what may need to be done with the imacs (gently stored during travel)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks Ed for the MiFi tip. That's the idea in a nutshell, but hate to spend $1000 bucks on it.

2air', I do not have a broadband card now, but I'm looking at the back of the Time Capsule (latest version). The b'band card can be plugged directly in the back of it? Or is an adaptor/gadget needed? That would be the simple, cost effective solution.

We took the Imac's last year, like them very much. This is a six month trip to the Southwest, Honda 2000I or AC most of the time. I use the Mac for reading/research, general web surfing. My bride uses hers for that plus lots of photos, communication with the grandkids, friends. I do understand b'band use management, and the use of free Wi-Fi when decent. She has a macbook to grab a signal when traveling.

The Mac's/Time Capsule are bulky but we store them gently (box and blanket) and do not move them around when disc's are spinning. The t'capsule power is automatically off when the trailer moves (unless we use the brick inverter).

Doug
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
_

. , .
can a broadband CARD be plugged directly into a t'capsule ?

sure, but nothing will happen.

the card needs to be activated (phonz home) when used.

that means an application is needed (like vzw) to activate the card, connect and so on...

so IF u plug the card into a puter (usb in your case)

the initial SETUP includes downloading an application ONTO the puter.

that application is TURNED ON whenever the card is plugged in and used.

that's the NICE feature about these CP routers,

they AUTOCONNECT/activate the card,

bypassing the NEED to open an application every time the card is used.
_________

so with a card/router setup and ON, the t'capsule can be plugged INTO the router.

again the t'capsule is JUST a external hard drive with wifi and some ports.
_________

the vendors of the CARDS don't support "multiple users" on one card connection.

that doesn't mean the setup is forbidden,

but they don't wanna support the use of routers (from other vendors)

and that's WHY V and S and T' and ATT are now selling router/card combos...

they want the biz cradlepoint has been supporting.

but the mifi like stuff doesn't include ALL of the features or capabilities (like using amps and antenna)
_________

READ the basics on the evdo site, then call them and ask a few questions.

IF there is a clever way to use the b'band card PLUGGED IN to a t'capsule they will know about it.

but my guess is that is not gonna work.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
2air' many thanks. It's starting to sink in.

The Time Capsule functions as an external hard drive backing up the computers, and also as a router. We have it, simple to use, and would rather not buy more $tuff while the next generation of broadband is being $orted out.

I will call EVDO folks and report back.

Doug
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 3G store says the T'Capsule router cannot be used with a Broadband card, as a router. So I need to order a router compatible with the broadband service I choose, and T'Capsule is small so I guess we will take it along to back up the computer hard drives.

Doug
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
_

. , .
ok good info and as suspected.

what to expect NEW this winter?

maybe an expansion of 4g and some less $ 3g data plans.
_____

so IF looking at routers opt for 1 with 3 AND 4g capability.
_____

the thing is not everyone NEEDS broadband gear or connectivity.

if the plan is to winter in 1-2 long term locations,

make sure those parks have GOOD wifi (the wifi antenna in an imac is very very good)

and stay IN parks on the way with wifi availability for the overnights while moving south.

for a LOTTA folks phone/band is plenty of internet access in route,

or a PAD/netbook with pay as u go internet service.

while there is lots of hype and truly unleashed power in broadband,

not everyone needs it and certainly not ALL of the geeky bits.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You're right 2air', we got along winters last few years without broadband, and each year free Wi-Fi is getting better. We do move around, and Wi-Fi quality is inconsistent.

I suspect 4th Generation b'brand will give us phone, internet, and television in one package, so am not anxious to spend hard-earned cash on transitional gadgets.

She wants an Iphone. Maybe that will do.

But Virgin now offers $40 month no-contract unlimited Broadband over the Sprint network. That seems to good to pass, and perfect for us snowbirds. Is there a fly in this soup?

Doug
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You're right 2air', we got along winters last few years without broadband, and each year free Wi-Fi is getting better. We do move around, and Wi-Fi quality is inconsistent.

I suspect 4th Generation b'brand will give us phone, internet, and television in one package, so am not anxious to spend hard-earned cash on transitional gadgets.

She wants an Iphone. Maybe that will do.

But Virgin now offers $40 month no-contract unlimited Broadband over the Sprint network. That seems to good to pass, and perfect for us snowbirds. Is there a fly in this soup?

Doug
Check Sprint's coverage maps in the areas where you like to winter. If there's decent coverage, it might be worth it. If it's spotty, you might be throwing $40 away. If I'm not mistaken, the Virgin products will NOT roam on non-Sprint networks while the Sprint-branded monthly-contract products will, so you don't get to avoid the contract and save $20 a month with zero sacrifice.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
Heyall,

So, if I gather correctly, it seems Sprint is the best choice for Broadband?

My plan is to tour Southwesterly this Winter (2010) and beyond. I work in website design, software development, and video production, so Imma need that extra bwidth for up'n'downloads. It would be nice if I didn't have to plan my entire trip around chasing down WiFi... will this be the case for someone like me?

I'm totally OK with working offline or with merely *decent* 3G for the most part and then locomoting somewhere with a stronger signal when I need to hit the FTP. Does this sound like a viable plan, or would I be better off investing in some serious BBand/antenna/satellite to play it safe? How much of a difference would the additional equipment make, and is it worth it?

Any other digimedia folks out there? I guess I'm talking to you...

FYI I am fulltiming it on the road to get AWAY from the concrete jungles and urban landscape. So I need not be connected 24/7. Rather, I'm looking to plan a way to connect at higher speeds reliably, even if that way means driving somewhere suburban, I suppose.

But I'm hoping there's a better alternative.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If the Southweast is n e thing like the Southeast, you will find that almost every decent RV park has a good wifi signal, often free. In fact, we only paid for wifi at one camp in FL, and oddly enough, the service was lousy.

How to know if the camp is decent? Get a copy of Woodalls Directory (~$20 at most RV places, which includes a CD) and you will know more about the camps in N. A. then their owners do.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeline View Post
Heyall,

So, if I gather correctly, it seems Sprint is the best choice for Broadband...
not exactly, in fact not even close.

gather from more threads,

there is PLENTY of posted info on 'relatively' how many folks use the major 3g providers....

or just look at the coverage MAPS and decide.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
Well I searched the Computers, Internet & Satellite thread for "broadband" and it brought me here.

Quote:
there is PLENTY of posted info on 'relatively' how many folks use the major 3g providers....
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Relative to what? To people coasting on campsite WiFi? I guess I was asking about people who might share my specific needs...which are for business, not pleasure (on first glance, many of the threads seem to be about TV reception and streaming).

And re: MAPS
I don't trust the coverage maps. I currently live in a city what's sposed to be supersaturated with Internet, but depending on the neighborhood, maps can lie. Which is why I asked to hear some firsthand experience.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
_

. , .
read a few of these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1982182

or run a simple search using ANY of the specific vendor names spelled out

(i am specifically not using them to keep THIS POST outta search)

'relative' means the relative number of full timers and 3g users here who USE the major vendors...

since we have no official poll that reveals exact % users for each.

it would appear from reading these many threads that V' is the dominant provider used here by full timers...

and a LOT of others too.

ateatee is probably 2nd (the eyephone thing) and t mobi/sprt and others distant 3rds...

don't trust the maps? sorry got no cure 4 that.

but the issues in a urban zone with tall buildings don't exactly reflect life out in the wilds...

best o luck

cheers
2air'

Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In my experience, VZW has the best overall coverage with 3G data service. In some regions and markets, Sprint has excellent coverage but in many others it's spotty, so if the area in question is "The US" then I'd rank it VZW, then AT&T, then Sprint, then T-Mo.

If you think you'll be in certain regions more often than others, the rankings may change.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote