Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I got my Dish ViP211z receiver and Tailgater antenna in late last week. Since I am already a Dish customer, I just added the receiver to my account for $7 per month. I connected everything up in my 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB and included a Monoprice HDMI 4x2 Splitter/Switch in the satellite/Blu Ray setup. I connected the Tailgater coax to the designated satellite coax input on the outside of the trailer. I am happy to report that everything worked great. The Tailgater was in fact able to receive power through the coax connection on the outside of the trailer. I was uncertain whether or not that would happen. And, with the Monoprice Splitter/Switch, the lounge area television and the bedroom television can be tuned separately to either satellite or Blu Ray. The TV''s are not confined to watching the same program at the same time. I did not have to alter anything with regard to the preamp for local over the air channels. I just have to remember to turn the preamp off when hooked up to the satellite feed (or cable).
I've tested mine twice and all is well. Unit works great and I'm happy I got the 211z receiver. I'll probably go out and purchase a pre terminated 100-150 foot cable. Dish support noted you could go up to 200 feet between to receiver and Tailgater. Interesting that the supplied a 3GHz 50' cable. I'll probably order a 3 GHz cable also just to make sure we get the best signal. I had a Hopper installed in December. Had lots of issues due to the installer using the old RG6 cable and not using 3GHz. Once service came in the knew they saw the error of the installer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #22

Currently Looking...
Lewisville , Texas
Is it possible there could be more than one Jack Canavera in STL? If you are the one I know from "The Dome" telecom department and NFL operations for many years...then HELLO! If not, please "excuse the ring".

Either way though, I am very interested in the new VIP211x. I'm building a new home and want to use a Hopper/Joey system in the majority of the rooms as a "whole-house" DVR, yet still maintain 3 conventional receivers (currently VIP211k) in my motorhome. Rumor has it the DISH originally would not allow conventional receivers and H/J equipment to be on the same account, but perhaps has re-thought the whole RV aspect, and now IS allowing it.

Any thoughts?

Mike Simpson
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #23

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
Is it possible there could be more than one Jack Canavera in STL? If you are the one I know from "The Dome" telecom department and NFL operations for many years...then HELLO! If not, please "excuse the ring".

Either way though, I am very interested in the new VIP211x. I'm building a new home and want to use a Hopper/Joey system in the majority of the rooms as a "whole-house" DVR, yet still maintain 3 conventional receivers (currently VIP211k) in my motorhome. Rumor has it the DISH originally would not allow conventional receivers and H/J equipment to be on the same account, but perhaps has re-thought the whole RV aspect, and now IS allowing it.

Any thoughts?

Mike Simpson
Yes mike it is me! As you know we got outsourced so that's why I was missing this year. There are some other ugly factors involved but that's for another time.

As far as your question goes, my Tailgater is on the same account as my Hopper and Joey. As a matter of fact it adds $7 a month to my overall cost when I have it activated. You can activate and deactivate the receiver and save that monthly cost. I get the same programming as the Hopper with no other charges other than the monthly $7 charge. One of the reasons Dish doesn't want to mix receivers with the Hopper is because of the wiring infrastructure. Essentially you have a twin lead coming from the dish going to a four port splitter which is called a solo node. From that node you have a cable to the Hopper. The last cable out of the node goes to a standard high bandwidth splitter. From that splitter you have two additional cables, one to each Joey. The cables feeding the Joeys can be standard RG 59 or RG 6, but the cabling to the Hopper must be 3GHz rated. If you don't do that, the Hopper has all kinds of strange issues come and go. Dish is pretty much wiring all homes with 3GHz cabling these days. I know the sent me a 3GHz 50 foot cable with my Tailgater.

If you have a non Hopper/Joey set up at home, you will need to run additional cabling from the dish to that receiver. I'm assuming that the LNB/switch combo on the dish itself can interface properly with a Hopper and multiple 211 receivers. I've got a feeling Dish doesn't want to deal with the wiring issues that might ensue in a mixed Hopper/Joey, standard receiver household assuming that LNB/switch isn't an issue. Note that while the 211z receiver has its size improvements over the 211k, it does not have an RF out terminal. It's HDMI or composite only.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #24

Currently Looking...
Lewisville , Texas
Yes, heard about the "outsourcing" thing from Gloria. Things are very different around there, as one might expect. Hope all if well and you landed where you wanted to be.

My plan is to use two separate 1000.2 antennas, one feeding the conventional receivers (currently using 3 of the 211k units, but would like to change to the 211x for space saving), which I move in and out of the RV as needed. The other 1000.2 would be for the H/J system, so I can reap the benefits of a "whole house" DVR concept in the rooms the H/J serve. If I am understanding the wiring aspects for the H/J scenario, are you saying it simply requires two runs of 3 Ghz. swept from antenna to Hopper(that's what I use for all coax runs anyway) to the dish, leaving the one extra port for any other use? Then the Joeys are fed from the Hopper using just one coax run?

The other 1000.2 would feed the 3 receivers inside the motorhome when it's garaged (to keep them alive and active), or alternately when they are moved inside the house. Of course, when the RV is away (which is seldom...the RV stays at home probably 340 days a year!) I patch them over to the Winegard Traveler on the coach, which uses exactly the same switch format as the 1000.2.

Obviously, I want to pay only for the one common programming package across all receivers. However, I have no problem paying to keep all 6 receivers active all the time (3 VIP + the 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys).

Does this sound like something that DISH will go along with?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I got a receiver on ebay for $50 and the Tailgater new for $350. Anybody want my old dish?

Also dish has an HD free for life deal. My receiver for my A$ costs $7/mo and I can suspend the fee during the off season.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
Yes, heard about the "outsourcing" thing from Gloria. Things are very different around there, as one might expect. Hope all if well and you landed where you wanted to be.

My plan is to use two separate 1000.2 antennas, one feeding the conventional receivers (currently using 3 of the 211k units, but would like to change to the 211x for space saving), which I move in and out of the RV as needed. The other 1000.2 would be for the H/J system, so I can reap the benefits of a "whole house" DVR concept in the rooms the H/J serve. If I am understanding the wiring aspects for the H/J scenario, are you saying it simply requires two runs of 3 Ghz. swept from antenna to Hopper(that's what I use for all coax runs anyway) to the dish, leaving the one extra port for any other use? Then the Joeys are fed from the Hopper using just one coax run?

The other 1000.2 would feed the 3 receivers inside the motorhome when it's garaged (to keep them alive and active), or alternately when they are moved inside the house. Of course, when the RV is away (which is seldom...the RV stays at home probably 340 days a year!) I patch them over to the Winegard Traveler on the coach, which uses exactly the same switch format as the 1000.2.

Obviously, I want to pay only for the one common programming package across all receivers. However, I have no problem paying to keep all 6 receivers active all the time (3 VIP + the 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys).

Does this sound like something that DISH will go along with?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike the solo node switch has four ports. Two ports get cables from the dish itself. One port feeds the Hopper. The last port either goes to a Joey, or it goes to a two port splitter, two ports each feeding a Joey. With that many receivers, I'm not sure what Dish's policy would be. Technically you would think they would be handling it much like they handle my Tailgater which only adds $7 monthly when I ask for it to be active. With you having two dishes at home, there should be no issues. Let me know how it goes. I've got some contacts at Dish if you need some better help on this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #27

2005 28' Classic
Roseburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
It should work as long depending upon how your trailer is wired. On mine, I have to move a patch cable which will take the trailers preamp out of the circuit. I just got my receiver and Tailgater today. Note this is the new 211z model receiver which is smaller that the 211k which was previously used. Here is a link to some pictures. Check out post 49.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ml#post1282271

Jack
Bought the Tailgater and 211k receiver and hooked it all up and it works like a champ. However, when I wired the tailgater directly into the sat/cable on the outside of driver side in the lowered compartment and then connected the factory cable nothing happens. Somewhere I read the cable with the unit carries 19 volts from the receiver out to the antenna. So the portion of factory cable in the wall needs to be bypassed? If it's a nice day outside we could just run the tailgater out the window or door and every things works. Has anyone found a way to get through the AS skin without drilling holes and packing putty around both sides? Hate to even think of drilling the skin. My AS is a 2005 Classic 28. Regular cable doesn't carry power does it?
Wire Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Paladin View Post

Bought the Tailgater and 211k receiver and hooked it all up and it works like a champ. However, when I wired the tailgater directly into the sat/cable on the outside of driver side in the lowered compartment and then connected the factory cable nothing happens. Somewhere I read the cable with the unit carries 19 volts from the receiver out to the antenna. So the portion of factory cable in the wall needs to be bypassed? If it's a nice day outside we could just run the tailgater out the window or door and every things works. Has anyone found a way to get through the AS skin without drilling holes and packing putty around both sides? Hate to even think of drilling the skin. My AS is a 2005 Classic 28. Regular cable doesn't carry power does it?
You need to get the Tv amplifier out of the circuit. As it ends up my 211z is not plugged into the normal TV outlet but a different port labeled TV/sat..I think. I'm going to pick up the trailer from storage on Sunday. I'll post a picture.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #29

Fenton , Missouri
I went out on my first campout with my 211z receiver and Tailgater. I was about 200 miles northeast of St. Louis in the Bloomington Illinois area. Much to my surprise, I was still receiving my St. Louis locals at that location. I thought that the spot beam service was more limited. Since I was closer to Chicago than St. Louis I'm a little surprised.

I called tech support when I got home and they were surprised also. For my side, I was happy that I got that coverage but I was curious if Dish had a list of the metropolitan areas being supported by spot beams and maybe a coverage map showing the relative areas that the spot beam covers. Tech support said they had no such information and it really was an engineering question. Unfortunately I don't think we have access to that type of support as customers of Dish.

Looks like with a little help from some Internet sites you can research this information. I found a map that shows all the Dish spot beams that service metropolitan areas within each state. From the maps it becomes very obvious why I was able to see St. Louis locals from Bloomington Il. Too bad Dish technical support folks don't have this information at their fingertips.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/...ts&sub=true#MI

This site has the satellites, maps and all the information you need to see. If you click through to your market, you can find the spot beam and the coverage map for that beam. Note that once you get to the station listing for your market, click on the spot beam number for your specific local TV station channel. That will pop up a regional map that will show the graphical coverage map of the beam.

Now I can research before a trip if my destination locale is serviced by a spot beam and specifically the spot beam assigned to a specific station market. So for all intents I can call for the switch to that markets spot beam once I get set up.

Check out the 129 degree satellite that Dish uses and the number of spot beams that cover the country. Coverage from 129° Note the map labeled Ciel2 All Spots.

The nice thing with this information is that you can now plan in advance as to what markets are covered in each spot beam. So for example if I'm up in Door County Wisconsin, I can call Dish and ask them to switch my service to the spot beam which covers the Green Bay market. The other interesting thing is that it very much looks like almost the entire US is covered by a spot beams. In some cases the spot beams for different market areas overlap. So like when I was up at the Moraine View rally, if I were a person out of the Chicago area, I could have asked to be connected to the Chicago locals and someone else in the same location could request St. Louis locals. It's all very interesting.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15