Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
no problem with the tailgater at all ...... but, issues with Dish. We use Direct at home with three DVRs, but optioned for the Tailgater because of HD instead of SD.

Now, it is $5 to turn it on and $5 to turn it off and that would be okay, but we found out after a few months it has to be on 6 months out of the year or they charge you for it. Not something they mentioned when we signed up. Also, we have had difficulty getting local stations and whomever you get from Dish to turn it on makes a big difference ..... not all seem to be versed in all the tricks.

So, I would not do it again because of the hassle and am thinking of paying the penalty, selling the Tailgater and receiver and buying a Carryout and going to Direct
Those charges are because you have no other service with Dish other than the Tailgater and receiver. In our case since we already have Dish service, there is no charge for tuning the receiver on and off. Just a receiver charge of $7 a month when it is active. No minimum usage or charge if it stays off for an extended period. I almost changed to Direct until I found out that their equivalent Tailgater unit cannot pickup Direct's HD satellite. Those units are both built by King Controls and look identical other than the branding decals.

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Jack, I ordered the Tailgater antenna and the the Dish 211z receiver like you have. The items are supposed to be in hand by Thursday, April 11. I have been reading the various posts on this forum, as well as corresponding with you, and I get somewhat confused about the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. There seems to be quite a few variations in the way this is done depending on model and year of the Airstream. For instance, my 2013 FC 25FB has two separate coax inputs on the outside of the trailer. One is specifically labeled for satellite and the other is specifically labeled for cable. On the interior of my trailer, there is just one coax connection on a plate behind the television in the dinette/lounge area. Apparently, some Airstreams have only one coax input on the exterior of the trailer and two coax connections on that interior plate. There is a small wire connected to that from a cable bundle. I assume that is for cable television only. Located with the Blue Ray player is a separate coax cable specifically labled "Satellite." That is to connect to the satellite receiver. At the same location is something called a "2-pin power/ground , which is a two wire bundle described in the owner's manual as part of the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. I have no idea what that connects to. It is my understanding that the Tailgater receives power through the coax cable connected to the satellite receiver, so the 2-pin power/ground wired should not come into play with the Tailgater. I would really appreciate any enlightenment on all of this. The owner's manual is really thin on information.
__________________

__________________
GerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
jcanavera

Those charges I noted (minimum of six months charges) because I do not have Dish at home must have slipped the mind of the Dish seller when we did the buy.

.... shame on me for not getting them to email me a list of all the charges I would incur.

Cheerz
__________________
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Jack, I ordered the Tailgater antenna and the the Dish 211z receiver like you have. The items are supposed to be in hand by Thursday, April 11. I have been reading the various posts on this forum, as well as corresponding with you, and I get somewhat confused about the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. There seems to be quite a few variations in the way this is done depending on model and year of the Airstream. For instance, my 2013 FC 25FB has two separate coax inputs on the outside of the trailer. One is specifically labeled for satellite and the other is specifically labeled for cable. On the interior of my trailer, there is just one coax connection on a plate behind the television in the dinette/lounge area. Apparently, some Airstreams have only one coax input on the exterior of the trailer and two coax connections on that interior plate. There is a small wire connected to that from a cable bundle. I assume that is for cable television only. Located with the Blue Ray player is a separate coax cable specifically labled "Satellite." That is to connect to the satellite receiver. At the same location is something called a "2-pin power/ground , which is a two wire bundle described in the owner's manual as part of the satellite antenna pre wire set-up. I have no idea what that connects to. It is my understanding that the Tailgater receives power through the coax cable connected to the satellite receiver, so the 2-pin power/ground wired should not come into play with the Tailgater. I would really appreciate any enlightenment on all of this. The owner's manual is really thin on information.
I've never messed with the patches or read my manual too closely on this setup. I've connected to park cable TV hookups and the only thing I had to do was keep the preamp turned off. I've got the trailer stored offsite so I'll probably bring the antenna down to it this weekend and see if we need to make any adjustments.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlop View Post
jcanavera

Those charges I noted (minimum of six months charges) because I do not have Dish at home must have slipped the mind of the Dish seller when we did the buy.

.... shame on me for not getting them to email me a list of all the charges I would incur.

Cheerz
Did you buy from Dish directly or did you go through a reseller? I know some of the resellers are not up to speed on these things. I got my answers in writing on the Dish network support forum prior to ordering my Tailgater and receiver from a Dish reseller. I didn't order the equipment from Dish because they could not guarantee that I would get the 211z receiver. I needed that receiver due to the available space present in my Classic.

I signed a contract with Direct in early December with a reseller, but cancelled within 24 hours after I called Direct customer service and asked the same questions as I did the reseller. It ended up the reseller had given me some information that wasn't correct. Bottom line I cancelled my contract prior to installation and upgraded my Dish hardware. It's time consuming doing the research, but if you aren't careful, you can get tied to some agreements for years which end up not being what you thought you were getting.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
I got my Dish ViP211z receiver and Tailgater antenna in late last week. Since I am already a Dish customer, I just added the receiver to my account for $7 per month. I connected everything up in my 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB and included a Monoprice HDMI 4x2 Splitter/Switch in the satellite/Blu Ray setup. I connected the Tailgater coax to the designated satellite coax input on the outside of the trailer. I am happy to report that everything worked great. The Tailgater was in fact able to receive power through the coax connection on the outside of the trailer. I was uncertain whether or not that would happen. And, with the Monoprice Splitter/Switch, the lounge area television and the bedroom television can be tuned separately to either satellite or Blu Ray. The TV''s are not confined to watching the same program at the same time. I did not have to alter anything with regard to the preamp for local over the air channels. I just have to remember to turn the preamp off when hooked up to the satellite feed (or cable).
__________________
GerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I got my Dish ViP211z receiver and Tailgater antenna in late last week. Since I am already a Dish customer, I just added the receiver to my account for $7 per month. I connected everything up in my 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB and included a Monoprice HDMI 4x2 Splitter/Switch in the satellite/Blu Ray setup. I connected the Tailgater coax to the designated satellite coax input on the outside of the trailer. I am happy to report that everything worked great. The Tailgater was in fact able to receive power through the coax connection on the outside of the trailer. I was uncertain whether or not that would happen. And, with the Monoprice Splitter/Switch, the lounge area television and the bedroom television can be tuned separately to either satellite or Blu Ray. The TV''s are not confined to watching the same program at the same time. I did not have to alter anything with regard to the preamp for local over the air channels. I just have to remember to turn the preamp off when hooked up to the satellite feed (or cable).
I've tested mine twice and all is well. Unit works great and I'm happy I got the 211z receiver. I'll probably go out and purchase a pre terminated 100-150 foot cable. Dish support noted you could go up to 200 feet between to receiver and Tailgater. Interesting that the supplied a 3GHz 50' cable. I'll probably order a 3 GHz cable also just to make sure we get the best signal. I had a Hopper installed in December. Had lots of issues due to the installer using the old RG6 cable and not using 3GHz. Once service came in the knew they saw the error of the installer.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Lewisville , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Is it possible there could be more than one Jack Canavera in STL? If you are the one I know from "The Dome" telecom department and NFL operations for many years...then HELLO! If not, please "excuse the ring".

Either way though, I am very interested in the new VIP211x. I'm building a new home and want to use a Hopper/Joey system in the majority of the rooms as a "whole-house" DVR, yet still maintain 3 conventional receivers (currently VIP211k) in my motorhome. Rumor has it the DISH originally would not allow conventional receivers and H/J equipment to be on the same account, but perhaps has re-thought the whole RV aspect, and now IS allowing it.

Any thoughts?

Mike Simpson
__________________
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
Is it possible there could be more than one Jack Canavera in STL? If you are the one I know from "The Dome" telecom department and NFL operations for many years...then HELLO! If not, please "excuse the ring".

Either way though, I am very interested in the new VIP211x. I'm building a new home and want to use a Hopper/Joey system in the majority of the rooms as a "whole-house" DVR, yet still maintain 3 conventional receivers (currently VIP211k) in my motorhome. Rumor has it the DISH originally would not allow conventional receivers and H/J equipment to be on the same account, but perhaps has re-thought the whole RV aspect, and now IS allowing it.

Any thoughts?

Mike Simpson
Yes mike it is me! As you know we got outsourced so that's why I was missing this year. There are some other ugly factors involved but that's for another time.

As far as your question goes, my Tailgater is on the same account as my Hopper and Joey. As a matter of fact it adds $7 a month to my overall cost when I have it activated. You can activate and deactivate the receiver and save that monthly cost. I get the same programming as the Hopper with no other charges other than the monthly $7 charge. One of the reasons Dish doesn't want to mix receivers with the Hopper is because of the wiring infrastructure. Essentially you have a twin lead coming from the dish going to a four port splitter which is called a solo node. From that node you have a cable to the Hopper. The last cable out of the node goes to a standard high bandwidth splitter. From that splitter you have two additional cables, one to each Joey. The cables feeding the Joeys can be standard RG 59 or RG 6, but the cabling to the Hopper must be 3GHz rated. If you don't do that, the Hopper has all kinds of strange issues come and go. Dish is pretty much wiring all homes with 3GHz cabling these days. I know the sent me a 3GHz 50 foot cable with my Tailgater.

If you have a non Hopper/Joey set up at home, you will need to run additional cabling from the dish to that receiver. I'm assuming that the LNB/switch combo on the dish itself can interface properly with a Hopper and multiple 211 receivers. I've got a feeling Dish doesn't want to deal with the wiring issues that might ensue in a mixed Hopper/Joey, standard receiver household assuming that LNB/switch isn't an issue. Note that while the 211z receiver has its size improvements over the 211k, it does not have an RF out terminal. It's HDMI or composite only.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Lewisville , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Yes, heard about the "outsourcing" thing from Gloria. Things are very different around there, as one might expect. Hope all if well and you landed where you wanted to be.


My plan is to use two separate 1000.2 antennas, one feeding the conventional receivers (currently using 3 of the 211k units, but would like to change to the 211x for space saving), which I move in and out of the RV as needed. The other 1000.2 would be for the H/J system, so I can reap the benefits of a "whole house" DVR concept in the rooms the H/J serve. If I am understanding the wiring aspects for the H/J scenario, are you saying it simply requires two runs of 3 Ghz. swept from antenna to Hopper(that's what I use for all coax runs anyway) to the dish, leaving the one extra port for any other use? Then the Joeys are fed from the Hopper using just one coax run?


The other 1000.2 would feed the 3 receivers inside the motorhome when it's garaged (to keep them alive and active), or alternately when they are moved inside the house. Of course, when the RV is away (which is seldom...the RV stays at home probably 340 days a year!) I patch them over to the Winegard Traveler on the coach, which uses exactly the same switch format as the 1000.2.


Obviously, I want to pay only for the one common programming package across all receivers. However, I have no problem paying to keep all 6 receivers active all the time (3 VIP + the 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys).


Does this sound like something that DISH will go along with?


Thanks,


Mike
__________________
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
I got a receiver on ebay for $50 and the Tailgater new for $350. Anybody want my old dish?

Also dish has an HD free for life deal. My receiver for my A$ costs $7/mo and I can suspend the fee during the off season.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
Yes, heard about the "outsourcing" thing from Gloria. Things are very different around there, as one might expect. Hope all if well and you landed where you wanted to be.

My plan is to use two separate 1000.2 antennas, one feeding the conventional receivers (currently using 3 of the 211k units, but would like to change to the 211x for space saving), which I move in and out of the RV as needed. The other 1000.2 would be for the H/J system, so I can reap the benefits of a "whole house" DVR concept in the rooms the H/J serve. If I am understanding the wiring aspects for the H/J scenario, are you saying it simply requires two runs of 3 Ghz. swept from antenna to Hopper(that's what I use for all coax runs anyway) to the dish, leaving the one extra port for any other use? Then the Joeys are fed from the Hopper using just one coax run?

The other 1000.2 would feed the 3 receivers inside the motorhome when it's garaged (to keep them alive and active), or alternately when they are moved inside the house. Of course, when the RV is away (which is seldom...the RV stays at home probably 340 days a year!) I patch them over to the Winegard Traveler on the coach, which uses exactly the same switch format as the 1000.2.

Obviously, I want to pay only for the one common programming package across all receivers. However, I have no problem paying to keep all 6 receivers active all the time (3 VIP + the 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys).

Does this sound like something that DISH will go along with?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike the solo node switch has four ports. Two ports get cables from the dish itself. One port feeds the Hopper. The last port either goes to a Joey, or it goes to a two port splitter, two ports each feeding a Joey. With that many receivers, I'm not sure what Dish's policy would be. Technically you would think they would be handling it much like they handle my Tailgater which only adds $7 monthly when I ask for it to be active. With you having two dishes at home, there should be no issues. Let me know how it goes. I've got some contacts at Dish if you need some better help on this.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
New Member
 
2005 28' Classic
Roseburg , Oregon
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
It should work as long depending upon how your trailer is wired. On mine, I have to move a patch cable which will take the trailers preamp out of the circuit. I just got my receiver and Tailgater today. Note this is the new 211z model receiver which is smaller that the 211k which was previously used. Here is a link to some pictures. Check out post 49.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ml#post1282271

Jack
Bought the Tailgater and 211k receiver and hooked it all up and it works like a champ. However, when I wired the tailgater directly into the sat/cable on the outside of driver side in the lowered compartment and then connected the factory cable nothing happens. Somewhere I read the cable with the unit carries 19 volts from the receiver out to the antenna. So the portion of factory cable in the wall needs to be bypassed? If it's a nice day outside we could just run the tailgater out the window or door and every things works. Has anyone found a way to get through the AS skin without drilling holes and packing putty around both sides? Hate to even think of drilling the skin. My AS is a 2005 Classic 28. Regular cable doesn't carry power does it?
__________________
Wire Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Paladin View Post

Bought the Tailgater and 211k receiver and hooked it all up and it works like a champ. However, when I wired the tailgater directly into the sat/cable on the outside of driver side in the lowered compartment and then connected the factory cable nothing happens. Somewhere I read the cable with the unit carries 19 volts from the receiver out to the antenna. So the portion of factory cable in the wall needs to be bypassed? If it's a nice day outside we could just run the tailgater out the window or door and every things works. Has anyone found a way to get through the AS skin without drilling holes and packing putty around both sides? Hate to even think of drilling the skin. My AS is a 2005 Classic 28. Regular cable doesn't carry power does it?
You need to get the Tv amplifier out of the circuit. As it ends up my 211z is not plugged into the normal TV outlet but a different port labeled TV/sat..I think. I'm going to pick up the trailer from storage on Sunday. I'll post a picture.

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.