Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Antivirus recommendations.

Folks,

Sorry to ask, I'm not a computerologist. Getting a new laptop and confused on which antivirus. I had one with norton and one Macafee, not impressed.

Looking for one that is not a me me me A/V thing, install, pay if required or worth it, don't take over my PC with pop ups or your attention is required do the job and stay in the background of my computer usage time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use AVG or Avast (slight preference for the Avast) as free ones for pay the top is probably Kapersky.

Also using some common sense and not clicking on links in emails goes a long ways towards keeping things on an even keel. I assume you are going with a Windoze machine?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are actually three things you seem to be looking for, and you won't find one single program that does it all:
Antivirus;
Popup Blocker;
Do Not Track.

I accomplish the Pop-up Blocker and "Do Not Track" by using Google Chrome as my browser and activating the appropriate Extensions under the Tools menu. I find that Chrome does a better job of blocking popups and tracking cookies than either Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Antivirus on my laptop is handled by Norton 360. My tablet uses Norton Mobile.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I know it sounds arrogant, but get a Mac. I've run them for over a decade. No infections or drive failures. I got a PC for a few summer classes in 2007, and had to reinstall the system twice before the semester was over.
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I purchased my laptop at Costco and got a year of Kapersky for free.
It was always telling me how great it was but didn't demand too much attention. I didn't get a virus so I guess it works.
It is now scolding me to renew which I am resisting because it demands that I let it automatically renew billing on my credit card when the subscription expires. I have been there and done that. I always forget to cancel when I get rid of the computer.
Nobody will call me from Kapersky and let me renew with out the automatic renewal.
My wife has Avast and other than making a noise like a parrot telling her the data base has been updated, it also seems to work. Best of all it is free. If I knew how to do it, I would obliterate Kapersky and install Avast.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just get the free version direct from Microsoft. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials, and you can download it direct from Microsoft.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just get the free version direct from Microsoft. It's called Microsoft Security Essentials, and you can download it direct from Microsoft.
Agreed!

I used it at work, and was very pleased. Didn't slow the computer down to a crawl like some others. Computing Services at UALR, where I work, is committed to Kaspersky which they push out over the campus network. Somehow my computer got skipped for several months allowing me to continue running the Microsoft product. My computer was much quicker and more reliable than my coworkers.

Unfortunately, my computer got found a few months ago, so now I have Kaspersky.

At home, not to start a flame war, I have a Mac. So far, they haven't had the issues with viruses. I use both platforms, and they both have their plusses and minuses.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Folks,

First, many thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Right now im using an iPad that I got for better half. Very impressive tool, handy and no hassles so far. Plus I can hardly get it out of her lap when I need it, oh well.

My PC needs are pretty easy at home, but I wanted easy access to pics from my camera and I use the typical office software, so it's a PC W8.

I'll keep reading and let you know what I pick later.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Folks,

First, many thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Right now im using an iPad that I got for better half. Very impressive tool, handy and no hassles so far. Plus I can hardly get it out of her lap when I need it, oh well.

My PC needs are pretty easy at home, but I wanted easy access to pics from my camera and I use the typical office software, so it's a PC W8.

I'll keep reading and let you know what I pick later.

Gary
You can get one of these, runs Windows and is a combination tablet/laptop:
Surface RT - Microsoft Store
You can get them at Best Buy and Staples.

I also have Macs, but also didn't want to start yet another this vs that war...
Old 07-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
FREE anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-adware programs, rated equal or better than many purchased security suites (e.g., McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, etc.):

* AVAST!
* Spybot Search & Destroy
* MalwareBytes
* CCleaner

Note: No anti-virus software will catch 100% of Trojans, viruses, etc.

I use McAfee Total Protection. However, I purchase the old, previous year's version at a discount on Amazon, and I use the license key to renew my existing software that is about to expire (each license is good for one year). Last year, the old version was $9.95 for three PCs. This year, it looks like it may be double that amount.

For those of you who use McAfee, see my Amazon product review comments from last year, below:

==========

McAfee Total Protection 2012--3 Users (Old Version)

Note: Use to renew existing license! (See comments on installation problems.)

I purchased this product to renew an old 3-user license for Total Protection (TP) 2011 that had expired. I usually buy this from COSTCO every year, but COSTCO no longer sells McAfee products.

Through my McAfee Account, the new TP2013 is $89.99; and renewal of TP2012 is $44.99. TP2013 is $79.99 on Amazon.com; so the TP2012 "old version" was a bargain at $9.99 (the price at the time of purchase). If you have an existing 3-user license for this software, you can use this package to extend your existing license, even if expired.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The problems that others have reported are caused by not following the instructions on the McAfee TP Quick Start Guide, which begin "...For McAfee Total Protection, visit: [...]". If you download and install this program from other pages on McAfee's Web site, you will NOT be prompted to enter the Product Key printed on this instruction card; AND, you will NOT be given the option to use the Product Key to extend your existing license. If you follow the instructions, you will be able to renew your existing TP license for another year at a bargain price!

I have used McAfee virus scanning products since the last century, and they perform as well or better than all other products I have tried. I continue to use them, because several major corporations I have worked for trust the McAfee enterprise versions to protect their corporate networks; and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

If you are satisfied with an existing installation of TP2012, save some money and renew it with this "old version" from Amazon.com. I just hope Amazon.com clears out their old packages of TP2013 at the same time next year, so I can take advantage of this bargain again!

==========

I periodically scan my PC using Spybot Search & Destroy, MalwareBytes and CCleaner, even though I use McAfee. These additional programs reduce the number of popups and other adware annoyances that even McAfee misses.

The main reason I use McAfee is for e-mail scanning; although, there are additional FREE e-mail and phishing scan programs available. In fact, due to a recent Consumer Reports review of anti-virus/malware software in which the free AVAST! program outperformed McAfee, I am considering switching to AVAST! when my current McAfee license expires.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Windows vulnerability since day one to all types of external molestation was the reason I moved to the Mac over 23 years ago. I support my brother in law's Windows based PC in the UK and I am sure glad that is the only one I have to mess with.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Terry,

Found this on a google search answered on a Microsoft community forum(?) about installing it on W8.

"No. Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

You do not need to install Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not work with Windows 8. Microsoft will continue to provide and improve Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first."

All,

Mac vs Windows, that's a whole different topic.

I get real involved with my vehicles, probably opposite of a lot of folks that let someone else do the fixing and servicing. Example i just bought a used VW TDI and within the first month i pulled the intake manifold, exhaust manifold/turbocharger to clean the IM and fix the VNT system, gets 43MPG. For my PC needs, I'll pay for the PC, now PC do your job and do it w/o a lot of my intervention, I got other things i want to do.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Gary
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't know much about computer problems nor do I want to. Bought one of the first IMacs that came out and have stuck with Mac since.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
First, check with your internet provider. Many offer FREE AV programs, usually McAfee. About 89% effective.
Second, Microsoft offers a free AV but it comes with spy-ware to ensure that you are not using any Microsoft programs without a license. If your 100% legit this is OK. About 80% effective.
Third, pay for Norton AV. Lots of overhead and slows your computer down. About 88% effective.
Fourth, DO NOT USE ANY FREE AV from the net. Nothing is free. You'll get burned.
Fifth, go to Malwarebits Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC and scan your PC for free. If you want their AV program; you pay.
Sixth, run your PC with no AV. Yes, this is an option. If your heart is pure and you never open an attachment, visit Facebook, surf the web to new sites or look at Utube you might get away with this.
The big plus: your computer will run VERY fast.
The big minus: you will get a virus, recovery can be difficult.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
I have used Microsoft / Dell since 1996 and switching to Apple. Very tired of having to reformat my computer plus Microsoft just plan sucks, they are old outdated control freaks.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Folks,

Didn't want to start a ST tire or hitch debate, I did say I wasn't a PC expert but it looks like I hit a small hornets nest. I kinda wondered about the free ones, why do it? Trial period to get you hooked, test drive then upgrade etc. I have done some additional research and it gets thicker and thicker as you look. No slam dunk winner. Make your choice, just like tires. Even found someone on YouTube showing how W8 defended itself as the guy tried to load malware and bad stuff. It did pretty good according to their opinion. IIRC the reason my last PC got flaky had to do with a Norton issue. I'll try to get a brief description of the issue later. My neighbors tried in vain to make it work, both are HD IT types and hours later, no change. Last idea was reformat.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Consumer Reports rates security software

See Consumer Reports magazine article entitled "Security Software -- Best ways to protect your computer", June 2013 issue, pages 23 & 24, for ratings of both free and pay programs.

Info is also available online, but you must subscribe.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Folks,

Didn't want to start a ST tire or hitch debate, I did say I wasn't a PC expert but it looks like I hit a small hornets nest. I kinda wondered about the free ones, why do it? Trial period to get you hooked, test drive then upgrade etc. I have done some additional research and it gets thicker and thicker as you look. No slam dunk winner. Make your choice, just like tires. Even found someone on YouTube showing how W8 defended itself as the guy tried to load malware and bad stuff. It did pretty good according to their opinion. IIRC the reason my last PC got flaky had to do with a Norton issue. I'll try to get a brief description of the issue later. My neighbors tried in vain to make it work, both are HD IT types and hours later, no change. Last idea was reformat.

Thanks,

Gary
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Opinions run all over the place. Mac vs. PC, this or that AV, update or not and the list goes on.

Today you have more choices. Not just a Mac or a PC but also Android and Linux.
Microsoft holds the greatest share of operating system users out there. About 98% of a computers that surf the net use Microsoft. Therefore, almost all viruses are aimed at PC's. Macs, Linux and Android are not immune to viruses, there just aren't that many viruses aimed at those systems.
Your choice of computer should be done based on what you need the computer for. Most people need email, web surfing, photo or movie viewing and some basic document editor. Any of these system will work for that. Next is the amount of storage you need. Most people don't need all that much. Audio and video files get really large, so if that is what you want then you will need something with a large hard drive.
Instead of getting into all of the details, you would probably do better with a tablet computer, either Apple Ipad or one of the Android tablets.
PC's are great for business but not so good for personnel use. There is a reason that all big companies have an IT department.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry,

Found this on a google search answered on a Microsoft community forum(?) about installing it on W8.

"No. Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

You do not need to install Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not work with Windows 8. Microsoft will continue to provide and improve Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first."

All,

Gary
Gary, that's good to know. My wife uses Windows, and knowing it comes with the stuff built-in is useful info.
As for the Mac vs Windows vs Linux vs whatever, it's pretty much the same as Ford/Chevy/Dodge debates...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Windows 8 is so dumbed down you might as well have an Apple. I use Malwarebytes and it works well. I have a Norton free version from work and it is not great. The best antivirus is you. Don't click on anything that says you have a virus and it wants you to install some virus program to get rid of it. Best thing is to shut the computer down. Sometimes just clicking on a window to close it will install the virus. Don't click on links in emails. If the web address on a link is not something familiar don't click it. The Windows defender sounds like a good idea if it will run on older versions of Windows like XP and Win 7. I still consider Win 7 to be the current version of Windows and it is a dumbed down version of XP as far as I am concerned.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote