Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
I have used Microsoft / Dell since 1996 and switching to Apple. Very tired of having to reformat my computer plus Microsoft just plan sucks, they are old outdated control freaks.

toastie

Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

Didn't want to start a ST tire or hitch debate, I did say I wasn't a PC expert but it looks like I hit a small hornets nest. I kinda wondered about the free ones, why do it? Trial period to get you hooked, test drive then upgrade etc. I have done some additional research and it gets thicker and thicker as you look. No slam dunk winner. Make your choice, just like tires. Even found someone on YouTube showing how W8 defended itself as the guy tried to load malware and bad stuff. It did pretty good according to their opinion. IIRC the reason my last PC got flaky had to do with a Norton issue. I'll try to get a brief description of the issue later. My neighbors tried in vain to make it work, both are HD IT types and hours later, no change. Last idea was reformat.

Thanks,

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Consumer Reports rates security software

See Consumer Reports magazine article entitled "Security Software -- Best ways to protect your computer", June 2013 issue, pages 23 & 24, for ratings of both free and pay programs.

Info is also available online, but you must subscribe.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Folks,

Didn't want to start a ST tire or hitch debate, I did say I wasn't a PC expert but it looks like I hit a small hornets nest. I kinda wondered about the free ones, why do it? Trial period to get you hooked, test drive then upgrade etc. I have done some additional research and it gets thicker and thicker as you look. No slam dunk winner. Make your choice, just like tires. Even found someone on YouTube showing how W8 defended itself as the guy tried to load malware and bad stuff. It did pretty good according to their opinion. IIRC the reason my last PC got flaky had to do with a Norton issue. I'll try to get a brief description of the issue later. My neighbors tried in vain to make it work, both are HD IT types and hours later, no change. Last idea was reformat.

Thanks,

Gary
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Opinions run all over the place. Mac vs. PC, this or that AV, update or not and the list goes on.

Today you have more choices. Not just a Mac or a PC but also Android and Linux.
Microsoft holds the greatest share of operating system users out there. About 98% of a computers that surf the net use Microsoft. Therefore, almost all viruses are aimed at PC's. Macs, Linux and Android are not immune to viruses, there just aren't that many viruses aimed at those systems.
Your choice of computer should be done based on what you need the computer for. Most people need email, web surfing, photo or movie viewing and some basic document editor. Any of these system will work for that. Next is the amount of storage you need. Most people don't need all that much. Audio and video files get really large, so if that is what you want then you will need something with a large hard drive.
Instead of getting into all of the details, you would probably do better with a tablet computer, either Apple Ipad or one of the Android tablets.
PC's are great for business but not so good for personnel use. There is a reason that all big companies have an IT department.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Terry,

Found this on a google search answered on a Microsoft community forum(?) about installing it on W8.

"No. Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

You do not need to install Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not work with Windows 8. Microsoft will continue to provide and improve Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first."

All,

Gary
Gary, that's good to know. My wife uses Windows, and knowing it comes with the stuff built-in is useful info.
As for the Mac vs Windows vs Linux vs whatever, it's pretty much the same as Ford/Chevy/Dodge debates...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Windows 8 is so dumbed down you might as well have an Apple. I use Malwarebytes and it works well. I have a Norton free version from work and it is not great. The best antivirus is you. Don't click on anything that says you have a virus and it wants you to install some virus program to get rid of it. Best thing is to shut the computer down. Sometimes just clicking on a window to close it will install the virus. Don't click on links in emails. If the web address on a link is not something familiar don't click it. The Windows defender sounds like a good idea if it will run on older versions of Windows like XP and Win 7. I still consider Win 7 to be the current version of Windows and it is a dumbed down version of XP as far as I am concerned.

Perry
Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Perry,

Good advice about YOU being proactive on what you select.

Remember I started by saying i'm not a computer person? That still holds true. I bought a new laptop and it came with antivirus in the package. I am running that right now, we'll see how it works Please don't accept this as an all inclusive studied report, can't do that. The AV is Webroot.

Need campfire time, w/o and devices nearby except maybe a whippoorwill calling.

Thanks for all input.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote