Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ormond Beach , Florida
Antenna Pole for Wi-Fi Ranger RV

I am planning on putting the WFR RV setup on my 27'FB. Evan has suggested the following lin as a slick way to install the unit and pass-through cabling. Mounting the WFRBoost | 1960 Airstream Ambassador Blog!
Since my AS is new I obviously dont have the pole type structure that the older unit had. Dows anyone have a good suggestion for a side cable install with some way to mount the Ranger? I really like the idea of not going through the roof and the refer-vent. I think this side mount will be much more trouble free long term.
Thanks
Mike
Mikec1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Ours is clamped to one of the windgaurd antenna arms. I just have the wifi bullet the WFR is based on, so no big advertising piece or whatever that shield is.

Ethernet cable runs across the roof which is my only dislike of the setup. I have been meaning to replace my blue cable with white or grey. It runs down the fridge vent and into the credenza where the router lives. No setup or take down. I'm not a fan of the extra stuff hanging off the side with his install.

Also we don't end up using it all that much.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My solution

After a lot of research, I found that I could not find anyone offering a solution with the cable already attached to the Winegard antenna, even though last year the Sky was available that way.
I do no want the hassle of pulling a cable or making another penetration, did too much of that on boats.
So, I hose clamped a piece of PVC pipe to one of my WD jacks on the A-frame, with a cap on the bottom of the pipe. I have an aluminum extension handle that fits perfectly in the pipe, extending up over the roof height. I will mount a Ranger Mobile(when I get it) to the extension handle and power through a fuse directly in the battery box on the A-frame. All I will need to do at the CG is put the pole in the PVC pipe and run the Ethernet cable through the cutout in the battery box to the power supply.
Not optimal, but easy enough to put up and take down without having to run a new cable down into the trailer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have a yaggi cell antenna that I mount on an extendable aluminum pole that then inserts into a flag holder bracket mounted to the side of the rear bumper trunk. I then drilled out the phone receptacle next to the cable TV connector. Replaced that with the proper coax cable connector for the antenna. I can then take it all down when ready to move on and put it away.Works great.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

If I had a phone connector I might have tried to pull that cable out, pulling a Cat5 in. But, no phone connection since I guess no one uses land lines anymore.
Larry
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well they do sell the coax connector plates with cover for RV's. You could just install one and drill through the side of the trailer. I keep the inside cable in a storage cabinet under the dinette where the cable comes into the trailer.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
My WifiRanger set UP

I have a 25 FB 2010 Flying Cloud. I installed the Wifi Ranger before leaving on our extended trip South and then up to Alaska. My Set up is working great and was very little travel. A detailed description of the installation can be found in our blog site at 2013 Travels via Airstream: Communications Prep

Hope this helps.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed my WiFi Ranger on the TV antenna, ran the cable down the sewer vent pipe, pulled it out inside the wardrobe, then tapped power from the light inside and added an on-off switch. Works great. No fridge vent, nothing visible...and terrific to get a strong signal inside my aluminum home away from home!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

It works!

I am back home after a brief trip to a KOA. As above, my mount is an extension pole on the trailer A-frame with the power supply in the battery box. I just rig this up in about 2 minutes after parking the trailer at the campground. I leave the plug for the power supply in a rubber cork in the battery box, simply putting the power supply in there and pulling the Ethernet cable through the existing cutout with the other cables.
This gave me the strongest possible signal inside my trailer and we watched an Amazon streaming movies and listened to Pandora. The best of all worlds and I did not have to drill a hole in the trailer and run a cable.
Larry
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I am back home after a brief trip to a KOA. As above, my mount is an extension pole on the trailer A-frame with the power supply in the battery box. I just rig this up in about 2 minutes after parking the trailer at the campground. I leave the plug for the power supply in a rubber cork in the battery box, simply putting the power supply in there and pulling the Ethernet cable through the existing cutout with the other cables.
This gave me the strongest possible signal inside my trailer and we watched an Amazon streaming movies and listened to Pandora. The best of all worlds and I did not have to drill a hole in the trailer and run a cable.
Larry
Could post some pictures of the cable going into the trailer? I am unclear as to where they enter the trailer.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I was not clear. Nothing penetrates the trailer. The power supply is in the battery box on the a-frame, mounted with Velcro for easy removal. The 12 vdc to the ps is through a fuse directly to the battery posts. The Ethernet cable from the Ranger goes through the cutout in the battery box directly to the power supply. Everything is outside.
This only works if you only want wireless; I did not investigate anything else as all I wanted was a wireless signal and it is very strong coming from the pole right outside the front window.
Larry
Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Thank you for the clarification , we have the same AS as you and this sounds like a perfect set-up.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

It seems pretty perfect to me. No holes to drill or wires to pull.
Larry