Old 05-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
Many campgrounds now have wifi and if you install a wifi booster antennae (not cheap), you should easily get any wifi signal in the campground and if you stop overnight near a Walmart Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop, you should be able to pick up their signal.

rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have stayed in *many* campgrounds that have WiFi. If we ever get to one that has good enough WiFi to actually be usable for streaming video .... I'll stop by your place with a case of beer to tell you about it . Streaming video off of the AT&T Hotspot in the trailer - that works pretty well.

Over the air TV wise, if you are out in a typical rural campground one decent station is about what you can expect. That station may have multiple feeds on it, but it's still only one station. In a location near a big city, indeed you may have a number of stations. Each one likely will have several feeds on it. The value of those additional feeds is (at least to me) very limited .... I got my fill of 1960's TV reruns *long* ago.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Vonore , Tennessee
yep

Just be sure the green light (booster) is on when trying to use OTA -- BUT green light has to be off when using cable from a CG. Either way for satellite.

My hubby watches his satellite and I watch OTA in the bedroom with TV set on source TV. Nice, but the new design of antennas that are rather "squat" don't get very far for reception. I'd love to find one that reaches into the air again like the old days.
Laurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Not only push the antenna booster on, but also go to the menu on your tv and select antenna and then scan for stations.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
We are on OTA now at the state park we are in (no cable hookups). Managed to catch a lot of channels and is surprisingly clear and well defined HD OTA.

It is amazing how far things have come....I've always had cable and satellite for channels that are not OTA that the wife wants etc etc....so this "blast to the past" OTA changes are like kind of like doing it the old way.....except no rabbit ears to adjust....LOL!!
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Even our old-style ‘batwing’ crank-up antenna works well....as long as I remember to scan for channels every time we move...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The park up on the top of the mountain or the one with all the suburbs built up around it likely will do fine for OTA. Pull into one that's in a valley or on the "other side" of the mountain and ... not so much. The "new" signals actually have less range than the one ones did. It's part of the same process that lets the stations send you multiple feeds.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The signal amplifier has been installed in AS's for some time now. My 1987 Excella has an amplifier built in in the cabinet under the television, and it has a 12-volt DC outlet as well.

The batwing antenna is a good directional antenna, and the old ones can be updated with additional UHF elements, which just clip on. Using the Android app "DTV Antennas", you can quickly position the antenna to get a decent signal.

I also have the Roku stick. However, using it quickly consumes my allocated Verizon data. OTOH, I still have the "Cantenna" which is great for pirating wi-fi. Back in 2006 I was having some repairs done to my '94 AS LY moho at a remote shop near St Thomas ON. I spent the night parked outside that shop, and noticed a distant farmhouse (about 1 mile away). I set up the Cantenna and pointed it at the the farmhouse - bingo! I was able to get my email.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote