Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Airstream Connected... two specific questions

Iíve read through the hundreds of Airstream Connected posts and have learned some great information. I had a system installed in a 2015 LandYach a few months ago and where AT&T has service its been great (campground feature turned off). But I canít seem to find the answer to these two questions using the search feature:

1. I donít have a second SIM card in my router (was told this morning that is really rare) and nor do I have CZone. Has anyone either put another carrier card in slot B, or replaced the AT&T sim with T-Mobile or sprint? Did it work? Will the router, as configured by Airstream, work with two SIM cards from different carriers installed?

2. Anyone just reset the router and dumped the Airstream configuration? Iíve perused the Peplink manual and, as a non-network engineer, Iím a bit intimidated by the possibility of messing everything up.

Iím in Canada for awhile and the system is totally non-functional because the AT&T plan excludes Canada. I have both a Verizon hotspot and T-mobile SIM card in my iPad... wondering if I get adapters for the micro to mini size SIM card if there is any practical way to use the system, as its reception and the fact it has Ethernet ports really works better for me...

Thanks,

Matt

HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Hi Matt

The second sim card is for the new classics and the Czone system. It allows the dealer to access the trailer to test and to show the customer the system. It has about an hour of use on it. It also allows a person to not get the connect system account from ATT and still see their trailer in the app.

Resetting the router on a non-classic dealer install is intriguing. It could work! The togo road link has the same ATT service and the router in it is not locked. I guess you could always try, but be prepared if it doesn't work, to plea for Airstream's forgiveness for the mistake you made.

Or you could put the sim in another moble router to see if it works. I guess you could try that with another hotspot to see if that works. ATT may be looking for the device (router) in the installation process and just may not work.

Who wants to try??

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Well, I did it.

I removed the AT&T sim card and tried my sim card from my iPad. No luck.

So... I reset the router and restored it to factory default. First issue... make sure you have an ethernet cable and a computer that can connect to the router with ethernet, because WiFi will ask for a password, which I was unable to track down.

Once connected with the computer I logged into the router. Pretty straightforward, and after reinserting my T-mobile card from my iPad it automatically recognized it and it just started working.

Then I inserted my Verizon sim card. It seems to recognize it too, and may have it configured correctly. But since it hasn't worked in the jetpack since arriving in Canada I'm not really sure how I would know if it is working. But for now... I am good.

If anyone has questions just PM me and I'll try to help.

Matt
Old 09-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
Then I inserted my Verizon sim card. It seems to recognize it too, and may have it configured correctly. But since it hasn't worked in the jetpack since arriving in Canada I'm not really sure how I would know if it is working. But for now... I am good.

If anyone has questions just PM me and I'll try to help.

Matt
Yep, and I bet the ATT will work once you get back to the states.

I think that Verizon may work if you call them and buy one of their international plan add-ons. Inexpensive I think. Too hard to figure out from their website.

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Update... since dropping the Airstream configuration I've spent a lot of time crawling around the Pepwave interface. It works pretty well, but I'm not a networking expert so a lot of it is "greek" to me. Or is that "geek"?

One problem is that I could not seem to find a way to remotely access my router (to change cell providers from slot A to slot B, etc. or use the GeoLocate feature. I tried to use pepwave router utility and the PepLink "InControl" app/feature. I couldn't get either to work, yet the InControl "feature" on the interface seemed to indicate I was connected to InControl.

The next day, out of curiosity, I logged into the AirStream Connected app, and lo-and-behold, the app knew exactly where I was, and it was three days since I had restored the pepwave to factory defaults and started managing it myself.

I have realized that the InControl feature/app of the PepWave is tied to the SERIAL number of the unit, and Airstream must have locked up the serial number for our units. Not sure if anyone is aware, but the Pepwave Max BR1 basically doesn't seem to have ANY tech support options other than the forum. I have no idea how to get THEM to release my serial number to ME.

I emailed my contact at Airstream and asked him to get my serial number released. As of yesterday I have not heard back from him, HOWEVER, my trailer is still showing on the App to be in the same place that it was a few days ago. Maybe they released my serial number but haven't emailed me back? Or maybe I have this whole thing wrong?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Well, over a week later and Airstream still has not released my serial number so I can manage it myself.

On another note, I've noticed that my WiFi reception inside the trailer is horrid on my various devices. Almost can't pick it up from my iPad when in the bedroom, with the transmitter placed above the dinette. It's less than 25 feet away. So I was thinking to myself the other day... where is the antenna for the WiFi? Well, there is only ONE wifi antenna. And so I guess it has to serve dual purpose, because I am quite certain that the documentation indicates the antenna is used for WiFi as WAN (or "Campground") mode. So does that mean it ALSO is the transmitting antenna for me surfing the web? If so, it would make sense the reception is crap with two layers of aluminum and crud-tons of Air Conditioners, solar and other stuff on the roof interfering. Since I disabled the Campground mode, I think it will make more sense to just plug a standard "indoor" antenna in place of the antenna cable that leads outside. Anyone else experienced this and tried an indoor antenna?