Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
Adding XM to 2009 International

Hi - I have a new 19' international with the Sony Radio/DVD/CD etc. - the stock Audio/Video upgrade package. I'd like to add XM Radio as well (I'm already a subscriber in my other car) and, although the Sony unit is listed as Satellite Ready, I can't find any clear info on what/where to buy and how to install. Has anybody done this? Is it a big hassle? Can you use the existing antenna or do you have to wire a new one? Thx
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have a portable that I use, just unplug from the truck and bring it in. If you dont feel a need to monkey with channels all the time, you might try setting the unit in your TV to the radio setting and try and tune it in using your camper radio. I know a couple people who get by with that. Saves some money.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
sirius on as

I don't know if this is gonna happen... but I hope so.
Sirius/XM will have an app for the IPhone/Ipod that will allow current subscribers to stream using an aux in to the stereo. Sirius will report tommorrow and maybe report progress on this.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevrosenthal View Post
Hi - I have a new 19' international with the Sony Radio/DVD/CD etc. - the stock Audio/Video upgrade package. I'd like to add XM Radio as well (I'm already a subscriber in my other car) and, although the Sony unit is listed as Satellite Ready, I can't find any clear info on what/where to buy and how to install. Has anybody done this? Is it a big hassle? Can you use the existing antenna or do you have to wire a new one? Thx
Zevrosenthal,
"Satellite Ready" just means that the head unit will accept input from a satellite receiver (another box). We have Sirius and use the Sportster receiver and have multiple docking cradles for it. There is one in the house, one in the cars, and one in the trailers. In our '06 I use the AUX RCA jacks to pipe the satellite signal into the stereo.

As for the antenna, the one that comes with the trailer is AM/FM only. We just put the satellite radio car kit antenna out where we get good reception and route the wire into the trailer via the slots next to the windows in the front of the coach.

You could probably buy a recevier box and an antenna and hook it up to the unit in the coach, but then you will need antoher account and that means another radio bill. I just couldn't see spending that money for something that gets used primarily on the weekends. Our method only requires one account and it can be used almost anywhere.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
You need to go to Best Buy or similar store and buy an XM tuner and antenna. You plug the tuner into the "SAT" imput behind dhe radio. I had the dealer put the antenna in. It looks like he just used the hole in the ceiling for the AM/FM antenna and pushed the XM antenna through next to the radio antenna. Best Buy said they could install it, but I wanted someone experienced with the procedure, and my dealer installs many of them in AS. We listen to XM all the time, as there is rarely radio reception where we like to camp.

Another less expensive alternative is get an XM "boombox". Then you can listen to it outside, or bring it into the trailer when you are in there. It has an antenna on a long wire, so you can sit under your awning, and leave your antenna out in the open where the reception is better.
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We hooked the XM module into the Sony and run the antenna out the front window (under/behind screen). I have up to now had an aversion to putting holes in the roof so we just Velcro the antenna up there when parked. You do have to match the XM module with the Sony head unit model.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We placed our antenna inside our AS hidden from view by the trip around our skylight. The wire was run under inside trim and the XM remote unit mounted to the entry side of the upper cabinet. Ran 12 volt to the remote from a under cabinet light and everything except the XM cradle is hidden from site. The FM unit runs through a non-used FM channel and you are good to go. By mounting the antenna inside the skylight, we avoided any possibility of leaks in the future and the reception has worked out very well for us.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevrosenthal View Post
I made sure they installed an antenna on the roof during assembly. The antenna wire is in the compartment with the CD Changer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote