Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
chesapeake , Virginia
Access Database

Anyone have an expense/maintenance database they would like to share?
clrhflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
This is really out of my comfort zone, I'm sure we must have some database experts here.

2 ideas. I found a calendar for XL on Microsoft, might try searching their website for an Access records.

I actually put an Access database together for a project at work, self taught.

I started in my MASTER table, all possible "cells" setup in the master table.

Then I created a FORM to conviently load the data in with. This can be customized to your visual specifications. This would be your data, mileage, part numbers, costs, service providers, work performed and all of the details that you wanted to use.

From the FORM I added a REPORT function that outputs the data into a single sheet output. This requires a QUERIE that both pulls the data from the MASTER TABLE and in my case included a reference number to extract the data required for the single record.

I had a class several years ago, but put this together self taught. We use it all day long.

It turned into a huge hit with mgmt. and allowed easy input and specific data retrival. You could set it up to work with multiple vehicles.

Hopefully someone has one to share, it can be challenging, but it turned out as a great challange.
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrhflower View Post
what u seek is not entirely clear 2me.

there are threads on 'budgets' for full timing, rv life, travel and so on...

like these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-19312.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ons-31983.html

with a NEW trailer as listed in your profile,

expenses will largely depend on how much and where the trailer is used.

and don't forget the tow vehicle in this regard.

for most folks... fuel, food, campground fees, insurance, storage and PAYMENTS are the bulk of expenses with newer trailers...

then there are the COSTS of getting it to a dealer or the factory for warranty work WHEN needed.

also for noobs the costs of EQUIPPING/outfitting the stream for use can be significant.

old trailers present different issues.

IF you plan to FULL TIME in an rv, there are books about this including chapters on expenses.

each appliance/system needs some very BASIC care, even on new units...

inspections, cleanings, lubrication, the occasional rivet or loose NUT replaced, screws tightened, and so on...

in the owners packet AND online are manuals for almost ever item in a stream...

and those manuals USUALLY include maintenance items to address.

here's a post on the ever present issue of WATER intrusion...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tml#post617763

i'm still not sure if ANY of the above is part of your question...

IF u r asking about a personalized rvin' database IN ms access...

sorry i stopped using ms/access 5 years ago, the headaches have finally stopped...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Yeah, just what data are you after? Upkeep & maintainance? I'm a fulltimer. I'm also in th process of remodeling a classic MH & a Tradewind. It's tough giving answers if you don't understand the question.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We've tracked every penny of expense since before we retired 5 years ago using a spreadsheet that I wrote. It does a few extra tricks like compute the anticipated annual expenditures by extrapolating from current expenditures. It also compares budget to actual and makes comparisons across the years.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Access is a real database program, designed primarily for home/small business use. It's very good as a database, but with the limitations of a database, too.

My suggestion is to follow what the other folks have suggested: Use a spreadsheet instead. They're not as good as a database for extended database functions, but it doesn't appear that you really need that kind of thing anyway. Spreadsheets will provide a whole lot more ease and flexibility just where a database doesn't.

Excel will do the job well if you've got it. If you have Access, you probably also have Excel. But there are plenty of other spreadsheets out there, including the one in the free open-source suite.

Lynn
Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrhflower View Post
I would use a excel spreadsheet. Much easier to set up.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
I agree, XL is easier to setup, hands down. But XL to my knowledge does not allow the use of a friendly FORM to enter the repair or maintanance item being recorded. Access does this exactly and allows for the use of tables to help catagorize and maintain consistancy, eg. Electrical Repairs: 12V, 120V, Lights, each of these is a seperate catagory. You could set up one data entry form for trailer related items, one form for TV items, and all of the data would be in the table, each extracted as required via a report.

I stayed away from Access for YEARS, then recognized that this one project that I wanted had to have these requirements.

Still learning.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Very true, GC; Excel is for a better tool for projecting static situations, while Access is more useful for tracking projects as they go along.

And an Airstream is nothing if not a project...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
This may be a different approach but I have used Quicken before and it seems that may work well in your situation and the work is already done. I think (guessing a little) that it only costs about $20 for the application. If you don't tie it to your checking account or fake a starting balance, the total spenditures would be available and you also can put each type into categories for reports, etc.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Bowman has an interesting existing alternative, creative idea.

clrhflower,

If you are still interested start putting the data cells that you want to be able to collect, organize it a bit into a layout that meets your idea and if you could send me the wishlist and form layout, I'll try to put it together. No time guarntee, I'll do it on the weekend and see if it might work for you. The more you think it through, the easier it will be to just organize and lay it out. The maximum "cell" size is 255 characters. The big one is catagory names and stuff like was it a scheduled item, repair, breakdown and what ever is of interest to you. Stuff can always be added later, but I like the idea of seeing the entire FORM in one screen view, no scrolling up down or sideways.

Up to you.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, Quicken will do everything just as well as Access, in fact, Quicken IS just a database program like Access, except that it has a beautiful and very fancy front end already on it.

Of course, if you are good at Access, you don't need Quicken, since you can work up what YOU want in exactly the format you'd like it in, and make customize reports till the cows come hom.

That's a lot more work than just asking if anyone here has already done that, and is willing to give a copy of their deisgn to the OP.