Old 03-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
2015 27FB and HughesNet Satellite Connection

My husband and I leased an RV lot in Warsaw, MO and had HughesNet install their internet satellite dish. We are newbies with a 2015 27FB, and will be using the AS every weekend in season. Silly me, thought that the connection would just go through the exterior satellite connection, however, we could not find where the interior connection is, looks like it is tied up with the TV connections. We couldn't find how to bring the cable in from the outside. Has anyone installed a modem in their AS? We will be having a storage barn on the lot that we can run power to and then have the modem installed inside the barn, but would prefer to have the modem in the airstream. Too new to want to do our own wiring! Help.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Not sure what you are asking exactly.

The HughesNet Installer should have told you where he brought the internet signal into the trailer or did they only mount the dish and not run the wiring and modem.

Most TV Satellite installations bring the signal in on a coax that terminates in the panel behind the bluray player. If the HughesNet Installer did run the wiring he might have brought it in there so that you could mount the modem in the same compartment with bluray player.

Why did you choose to use Satellite internet service? This is kind of non-standard as satellite internet is relatively slow with terrible lag. Most people today just use something like a verizon jetpack, it is cheaper, easier to set up, doesn't require a roof antenna, and is much higher speed if you have LTE cell service.

Is there not decent cell service in Warsaw, MO?

Old 03-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Hughes Net was recommended to us and since we live in Overland Park and have AT&T Uverse and AT&T cell service, we wanted to go with internet only for our first year. The installer could not figure out where to connect the modem on the inside of the AS. Do we connect the external cable to the satellite connection? and then connect the modem in the panel behind the blue ray player? If that is all we have to do, then I think I can handle that. Didn't want to screw anything up around the blue ray player! When we brought the cable in through the screen door, and I tested streaming, all was good. Our first weekend we used our cell service and it wasn't great for streaming, was great for our VPN connections for work and browsing on the internet. I have 30 days to try Hughes out, then I can cancel if it doesn't work out.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Ok, I see what you are saying now.

The installer never actually brought the cable inside your trailer. I am not sure you can actually use the external connection for HughesNet because it goes through a splitter and might not work. I know it doesn't work with Directv because it is not designed to carry the proper bandwidth.

You could try using the external connection, and see if it comes through to the input coax that is connected to the bluray player. If it does then you could use that cable and route it to a modem in the same compartment. However it would be a pain to always have to disconnect the cable if you were to travel. I would think you would have to disconnect it on the roof at the dish to travel.

I think this is your only option other than bringing the cable down from the roof through the refrigerator vent and then into the adjacent closet where you could install the modem.

You must not have AT&T 4G LTE cell service because if you did it would easily stream video. The bandwidth speed for 4G LTE averages around 20megabits. Whereas HughesNet max speed is 0.256 megabits. AT&T does make a mobile hotspot device that you can use but you will have to pay for a data plan.