Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
2008 27FB - Possible to watch Dish w/ one Wally on both TVs?

I'm investigating the Dish system and trying to figure out if I really need two Wally receivers.

It appears that the connection set-up would be:

1. Connect Satellite to outside Cable/Coax input
2. Connect Coax input inside trailer to Wally
3. Connect Wally to LR TV via HDMI

Since the Wally doesn't have a Coax output, I would need to get the RF modulator to send the signal via VHF to the BR TV.

I was thinking I could use the AS' internal coax wiring to share the signal, but without coax output on the Wally, that doesn't seem possible.

Is there a different solution I'm not contemplating? My trailer is a 2008 model - there's no HDMI running throughout (actually, none at all). The cabinet DVD player sends its signals to the LR TV via RCA cables. I suppose if I wanted a second Wally, I could use the internal AS coax to send antenna signal to both, but I'd like to avoid having a second receiver. I don't anticipate watching two TVs at the same time, so that's not important to me.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
The PO of our 2009 27FB installed a satellite dish, two Direct TV receivers and HDMI cables to both TVs. I replaced the Direct TV receivers with one Wally and an HDMI splitter so both TVs are driven off the one receiver. Of course that means that while watching Dish there is only one program choice. However, you could watch cable or antenna on the other TV.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
What I'm also noticing may be an issue is the fact the Wally doesn't have a coaxial output, only HDMI.

If I don't connect the Wally under the dinette table where the splitter is, I would connect it at the wall where the LR TV is mounted. Then I don't need to run a long HDMI cable.

Is workable? The diagram in my manual suggests that I should be mounting the satellite receiver at the splitter box under the dinette. However, I think the assumes a coaxial output from the satellite receiver box.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have DirecTV, but the concept is the same. The dish is connected to the satellite receiver which is connected to the LR TV with HDMI cable. I have a UHF modulator which I can set to any UHF channel. My older trailer has a plate with two coax jacks on it. One goes to the single outside coax, the other goes to the antenna/cable selector switch. I remove the jumper and connect the modulator output to the jack that goes to the selector switch. I connect the modulator to the composite video/audio (Red, White, Yellow) jacks on the back of the DirecTV receiver. That way we can watch in the bedroom (in SD, not HD) whatever is playing on DirecTV receiver in the LR. I have an RF remote for the DirecTV receiver so we can control it from the BR. The only nuance is that if the LR TV is turned off the HDMI cable to it must be unplugged from the DirecTV receiver due to the HDCP protocol which is intended to prevent copying of HD programming.

Here's a diagram:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic 30 Satellite Wiring.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	310494
In the absence of a direct coax from the satellite dish, the receiver can be connected to the jack that runs to the outside when the jumper is removed to send the modulator output to the selector switch. In this configuration the BR TV can watch either the satellite or off-air depending on the setting of the selector switch.

I have a planned upgrade - Since I have a rooftop dish with a dedicated coax cable to the DirecTV receiver I'll re-wire the jumper plate by taking the outside coax direct to the antenna/cable selector, and take the BR TV coax off the selector output and connect it to the jumper plate. The other jack on the jumper plate will be connected to the BR TV output jack on the selector. Then I'll wire a splitter (actually used as a combiner) so that the modulator output is added to the signal on its way to the antenna/cable selector. That way the BR TV can watch either antenna RV or cable, with the satellite mixed in.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
What I'm also noticing may be an issue is the fact the Wally doesn't have a coaxial output, only HDMI.

If I don't connect the Wally under the dinette table where the splitter is, I would connect it at the wall where the LR TV is mounted. Then I don't need to run a long HDMI cable.

Is workable? The diagram in my manual suggests that I should be mounting the satellite receiver at the splitter box under the dinette. However, I think the assumes a coaxial output from the satellite receiver box.
The signal at the coax jack at the TV passes through the antenna/cable selector which is not designed for the two-way signal passing required to connect the Wally to the outside dish antenna. You must use the cable to the outside at the jumper plate.

Al
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The signal at the coax jack at the TV passes through the antenna/cable selector which is not designed for the two-way signal passing required to connect the Wally to the outside dish antenna. You must use the cable to the outside at the jumper plate.

Al
Thanks - so basically I leave the receiver at the dinette and run a longer HDMI to the TV or have the receiver near the TV and run a longer coax to/from the jumper plate.

I guess in 2008 satellite receivers used coaxial outputs? Otherwise the AS "built-in" set-up doesn't work correctly.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Yes, the older Dish receivers had a coax output. I don't know if they are still available used.

BTW I updated my previous post...

Al
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

In the absence of a direct coax from the satellite dish, the receiver can be connected to the jack that runs to the outside when the jumper is removed to send the modulator output to the selector switch. In this configuration the BR TV can watch either the satellite or off-air depending on the setting of the selector switch.
Interesting! So in the absence of being able to use the jumper to insert the receiver in the via coax, you're using a modulator on the output of the receiver and running that through the jumper via coax? Then you eliminate having to use the RF modulator, correct? Clever!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Orange County , New York
If you want to just split the signal to be viewed on two different monitors you can use a HDMI switch.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...310&p_id=14529

4 inputs and 2 outputs with remotes to switch sources.
Williker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Interesting! So in the absence of being able to use the jumper to insert the receiver in the via coax, you're using a modulator on the output of the receiver and running that through the jumper via coax? Then you eliminate having to use the RF modulator, correct? Clever!
Yes. Still using an RF modulator, just an external one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lator&_sacat=0

Al
Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Mountain Home , Arkansas
The Wally has both HDMI and AV outputs. Use the HDMI to the front TV and plug the AV outputs into an AV to Channel 3 modulator. Run the coax from the modulator to the rear TV.
ednormandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
What type of splitter did you use? Is it powered or not? I am having an issue trying to split the HDMI signal from Dish. Seemed to work when first hooked up then quit. I would rather not have a powered one up in that space anyway.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
HDMI splitter would take same program to rear TV. Ours is powered. If not using both, then an HDMI A-B switch should work.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
So, I had an interesting experiment this weekend when connecting up my Tailgater and Wally for the first time.

After getting it all set-up with the HDMI output from the Wally to the Living Room TV, I decided it was time to try the RF modulator on the bedroom TV. However, as I didn't want to run extra cables, I used the coaxial output from the RF Modulator and plugged it into the OTA antenna jack behind the living room TV. I made sure to turn off the booster.

Then, I did a channel scan on the bedroom TV and it found channel 3 - the programming from the Wally!

The only downside to this is that I can't use the OTA antenna at the same time, but I can live with that. (I don't subscribe to the Dish local affiliate feed).