Old 01-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
2-way wireless internet + phone

RV View (Camping World) has a product spotlight on a new product from Winegard called TravelNet. It provides a Cellular Phone and or WiFi connectivity through Sprint, Verizon or AT&T. You can check it out at:

TravelNet Wireless Mobile Broadband - Winegard

and at keyword travelnet

Looks promising, but has anyone actually used it yet?

Ralph & Margie Day
Lizzy the Borderline Collie
Old Hickory, TN
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the info.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Yes, thanks for the tip. I will check into it.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
WiFi In Motion

Picked a brochure on this up in Quartzsite. Know absolutely nothing about it. The website doesn't seem to be too informative at the moment. Ain't cheap!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Hendersonville , North Carolina
$1,200 for wireless internet on the road?? OUCH!!

It would be FAR cheaper to invest $2-300 in a newer phone from one of these carriers, and get 3rd party software (approx. $30) that enables a Windows Mobile based phone to be used as THE router. Great WiFi, less equipment, surf from your laptop w/i range of the essentially turns your phone into a portable WiFi router.
gottafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
You can get wireless for your computer direct from Verizon for $60.00 month. I believe it comes with the card at no charge! Add a phone to that and your there!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Good options from all

What I liked about this is:

Better antenna/coverage than using your phone or a card.

Dedicated router that does not tie up your phone (additional $4-5/month Verizon?) Runs full time even when on road.

Dedicated WiFi for the whole system so you can use you computer where you want inside or out.

You pay the same 5 GB/month charge from Verizon no matter how you approach it.

Now I know there are components out there that will duplicate this and it would not be for everyone... just looking at the options that are starting to pop up out there. This would probably be of interest only to full timers, someone who could write it off or someone that needs to stay in touch, but does not have access to free WiFi

BTW, if someone can come up with a shopping list to duplicate cheaper, let's hear that... and not PC only please.
Ralph & Margie Day
Lizzy the Borderline Collie
Old Hickory, TN
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Internet + phone for RVers

The subject of Internet access for Rvers has been much discussed and there are a number of forums devoted to it.

The best combination of coverage area and price that I have found is a data capable cell phone with a cable to tether to your laptop. If you purchase a smart phone, it will likely come with the cable. If not, the cable kit can be obtained from your cellular provider. The most expensive part is the data plan. This seems to cost about $60/month regardless of which provider you use. Verizonwireless data plan includes 5GB/month. If you use more than that, the price esculates rapidly.

Cellular coverage is much broader that Wifi. A cellular antenna mounted on the roof of your RV will boost coverage.

The advantages of using a cell phone with a data cable are;
1. You can put the cell phone near a window for better reception
2. You can use the cell phone for voice calls unlike a data card.

If you talk a lot and don't want burn all your cellular minutes, you can always buy a magicJack for $40. That includes your 1st year of telephone service for all US and Canadian calls. After that, the service costs $20/year. MagicJack is simple to use. Just plug any home phone into it then plug the magicJack into your computer USB port. Your computer must have Internet access via your cell phone of Wifi for this to work.
KE5CKG on 2 meters
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
2009 22' Sport
San Francisco , California
I use a combination of Verizon Cellular Card, Cradlepoint CTR500 router, and Ruckus 2211ext Wifi Bridge for a very reliable internet connection. I plug the Verizon card into the CTR500 and connect the Ruckus to the Ethernet port of the CTR500. I have it set up so the CTR500 will use the parks wifi through the Ruckus bridge if it's available. If not it will use the Verizon card. The CTR500 doesn't limit you on how many devices you connect to it and is very easy to configure the wifi security options.

I run both the CTR500 and Ruckus from my house battery, they use very little power. The CTR500 router is terrific and easy to use.

For a telephone I use the MagicJack. I've tried several VOIP phone services and it works the best, especially for the price. $20/year for unlimited calling in NA. You can get a better price if you prepay for 5 years.

cbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

cell phone, internet, wireless