Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
1200 baud modem speeds

Last year I upgraded my Verizon mifi hotspot to a 7730L, supposedly one of the best you can get.
It has done well until last weekend when I was at a event in Upstate NY.

I use the hotspot for my laptop and Roku and I was getting fairly good music from Roku, but the internet was painfully slow, sometimes taking 10 min. or more to get a full page refresh on Weather Underground. Facebook and Air Forums were impossible to view.

Yes, I know, what the heck am I doing on the internet while camping?
The answer is that it was raining for about 8 hours on Saturday morning.

That is when it struck me, it is not a bad tower signal, it is a overloaded tower.
Just like me, everyone at the event was in their camper or tents, playing on their phones lurking the internet.

So, no matter how great your cell hotspot is, when you are in a remote area with minimal tower coverage for your carrier, and the weather turns to crap, expect to have poor internet service. I guess I should have gone back to bed?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Or put on your galoshes and gone outside to dance through some puddles...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
At the Old Songs Festival?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Or put on your galoshes and gone outside to dance through some puddles...
That is for the younger folks
Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
At the Old Songs Festival?
A slightly more rambunctious crowd at the Harley Rendezvous
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
It actually might not be overloaded tower, it could be that Verizon is slowing down hotspots - while actual mobile phone surfing still works much faster. I have experienced this many times using Verizon's hotspot.
SuperSamuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I use the hotspot for my laptop and Roku and I was getting fairly good music from Roku, but the internet was painfully slow, sometimes taking 10 min. or more to get a full page refresh on Weather Underground. Facebook and Air Forums were impossible to view.

That is when it struck me, it is not a bad tower signal, it is a overloaded tower.
Just like me, everyone at the event was in their camper or tents, playing on their phones lurking the internet.

So, no matter how great your cell hotspot is, when you are in a remote area with minimal tower coverage for your carrier, and the weather turns to crap, expect to have poor internet service. I guess I should have gone back to bed?
Tower congestion is an issue in the Texas Hill Country too, especially on weekends with the much higher visitor traffic. You can see 4-bar LTE and still get terrible speed.

Did you hit the "limited-unlimited" Verizon 15 GB/mon limitation on your hotspot device and drop you back to 3G? That happens to us each month, and your description is what we normally experience.

You likely have tried this. If you have a smart phone that has a personal hotspot. Connect that way, and see if you speed improves.

We have two SIM cards in out mobile hotspot.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
The 1200 baud modem was a great upgrade from the 300 baud modem!

If you have a no signal, nothing will help. A WeBoost will help if you have at least one bar.

I have a Verizon Above Unlimited plan (75GB) for working from home as a full-timer. I work for an Internet cloud infrastructure provider. I do a lot of Zoom (video) and Slack (chat) conferencing all day so I chew up a lot of bandwidth. My Jetpack hits its monthly 15GB limit pretty quickly, I get throttled to 600Kbps, then I switch to my phone hotspot - which gets throttled at 22GB.

My wife has a Verizon Beyond Unlimited (22GB) plan. So we download all the Netflix and Amazon Prime content we can whenever we have free WiFi, then we use her phone as a hotspot plus Chromecast to watch our shows.

I just added an AT&T Wireless Internet 100GB plan for when all that breaks.
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Did you hit the "limited-unlimited" Verizon 15 GB/mon limitation on your hotspot device and drop you back to 3G? That happens to us each month, and your description is what we normally experience.

You likely have tried this. If you have a smart phone that has a personal hotspot. Connect that way, and see if you speed improves.

We have two SIM cards in out mobile hotspot.

73/gus

I tried using the hot spot with my phone and did not do any better.
My jetpack hotspot is a pay as you go unit. I only use it when traveling so I only put time on it when I am out wandering.

On that note, I had paid for 2 gigs and that went so quick I had to add another 2. I wonder if rejected packets from the overload were being charged?

The local population is under 1000, when the event is on, it adds over 5000 more
Old 06-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
This is a real issue in our modern world, I’ve noticed a dramatic performance slow down of my phone’s hotspot while the phone itself does ok. I suspect it’s just the corporate desire to make us pay more for what we used to get for less. Forcing us to pay for pkgs and upgrades... just my cynical side... [emoji16]

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote