Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Wireless External Speaker Options

I've got the 2007 Safari LS with the AV upgrade. I've got a speaker selector switch to run inside speakers, outside speakers or both.

The outside selection is for adding wireless external speakers. I tried a version from Acoustic Research. Acoustic Research - 900MHz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Speaker (each) - AW811

This experiment didn't go well. In order to get audible sound from the external speaker, the source volume has to be turned way up, like Spinal Tap volume. I guess the external speaker selection is using a variable output from the source.

Does anyone know of a wireless external speaker solution that actually works with this setup?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Select Switch.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	53219   Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	53220  

billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
From the looks of your control panel, you could use the "line out" connector to hook up the wireless transmitter. It probably would work better this way.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Wireless speakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk
I've got the 2007 Safari LS with the AV upgrade. I've got a speaker selector switch to run inside speakers, outside speakers or both.

The outside selection is for adding wireless external speakers. I tried a version from Acoustic Research. Acoustic Research - 900MHz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Speaker (each) - AW811

This experiment didn't go well. In order to get audible sound from the external speaker, the source volume has to be turned way up, like Spinal Tap volume. I guess the external speaker selection is using a variable output from the source.

Does anyone know of a wireless external speaker solution that actually works with this setup?

Bill
Several things to be aware of.

Please see the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...reo-36282.html

Look for Post #27, which I posted when I started my quest to fix the stereo in our 3 month old 30' Classic.

While the post is long, there is some info in there from the manufacturer of the ancillary hardware that Airstream uses with its audio systems.

There are specific issues associated with the way the line out jack is wired for the units that come equipped with the wireless speaker option.

To use the wireless speaker that came with our factory installation we had to have the wireless unit plugged into the line out jack and the three way position switch set in the "Out" position. The "Both" position was only for the speakers in the front of the TT to be on as well as the speakers in the bedroom.

The key item is that the line out jack does not have a ground wire on it because the wireless unit the factory installs for the wireless speaker option provides a floating ground. If the wireless unit you purchased does NOT provide a floating ground it will not work. What you describe sounds like it does not.

Please read the info in the middle of the post; it is too easy to damage your radio if you do not do things properly.

Hope this helps...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks for the help norsea.

No ground explains the god awful buzz the thing was giving off.

Bill
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
And we thought you were just playing crunk!

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk
Thanks for the help norsea.

No ground explains the god awful buzz the thing was giving off.

Bill

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote