Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Wireless backup cameras

Hi folks. Although not an A/S owner, I learn a lot from your forums for towing of my 24' all aluminum Featherlite enclosed car trailer. Do any of you have any opinions or experience re: wireless (or hardwired) rearview/back-up cameras mounted on the back of your trailers? A search revealed one post on this last july, but no replys. Anybody have anything to report--good or bad- about hardwired v. wireless?
Thank you.
teutonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Baby Monitor

I found a wireless Baby Monitor System (B&W), transmitter and receiver, for less than a hundred bucks. The system came with 110 volt to 12 volt converters to power the Xmtr and Rcvr, I just hooked the power up to an "ignition on" line, and it works fine, had to shield the transmitter from the sun, though.

Don't know the legalities, nor the illegalities -- nor do I want to know.

I do know that it does what I need it to do, it gives me a continuous picture of what the Saturn Toad is doing (or not doing) when in tow behind the 345. I cannot see any portion of the Saturn through either the interior rearview mirror or either of the external mirrors when I have it on the hook.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That sounds like a simple solution. Does the camera and the receiver require power or does one run on battery? Any idea what the distance is, like do you think it would work for a trailer? I'd also like to set up something like this, just so I could more clearly see behind us than I can with the side mirrors.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I installed one of the wired $49 color cameras in the rear window of my International. I tried several small LCD monitors, but none were bright enough to comfortably see in the cab in daylight. I also had the image reversal problem.

I took it out when I sold the trailer and it is still in my shop. I don't know whether I'll bother to install it in the Classic. With good mirrors, I don't really miss it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Dennis,
Great idea. I've been looking at security systems from Sams for this very thing. I have a [sort of working] rear view camera now but it's terrible at night and the monitor is just about shot. I also wanted to install an additional "kid cam" in the rear lounge (once it's consructed). Been thinking about BNC connector cards into a PC but I never even though about a baby cam.

What make and model did you use (if you don't mind)?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
"RF-Link Systems"

2.4 Giga-Hertz 4 Channel (Manual Select)

Less than $100 (I think about $90) from a local storefront. Don't remember the store name - one of those that comes in, opens, and disappears in 6 months or so. Whatever they had in stock, they started with a truckload of them, and when they sold out the stock, they moved on.

I did not want to rewire the factory installed "Back Up Monitor" for use when in the "forward" mode for a variety of reasons, primarily I was afraid that constant use would cause failure. The factory installed monitor also is positioned and calibrated so as to aid backing in a tight spot. The window mounted "Baby Monitor" can be easily repositioned, but primarily covers the blind spot immediately to the rear of the MH. There is, of course, the "reverse image" issue that Pahaska mentioned, it takes a bit to get used to, but the mirrors are still the primary rear vision aid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor next to Back Up Receiver.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5891  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 04-11-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Camera Mounted in Rear Window

The camera is mounted in the rear window, the amperage draw is minimal, and I fused into a solenoid driven "ignition on" line supplied by 4 guage line I had previously run to supply the 25 amp draw compressor. The compressor/water pump electrics are located in the rear curbside corner of the bed, with easy access to "night shelf" across the back of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Mounted in Rear Window.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	5892  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by teutonik
Hi folks. Although not an A/S owner, I learn a lot from your forums for towing of my 24' all aluminum Featherlite enclosed car trailer. Do any of you have any opinions or experience re: wireless (or hardwired) rearview/back-up cameras mounted on the back of your trailers? A search revealed one post on this last july, but no replys. Anybody have anything to report--good or bad- about hardwired v. wireless?
Thank you.
If you use the wireless system, and get a second mounting bracket for the camera, you can mount the camera on the front of your trailer, facing the tungue, and use it to line up your tow vehicle for hitching up. Would be a terrific timesaver. After hook-up, you could place the camera on the back of your trailer, until needed at the front again.
Terry
Old 04-26-2004, 06:49 AM   #9

Have a look at www.RearviewCamera.net ... they have inexpensive units ready made. I use the color IR camera with the 5.6 inch monitor.

John Stead
John Stead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:20 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Port Hueneme , SOCAL
My coach came equipped with the Sony back up camera system. It worked for one whole day in a huge downpour and quit that same day. It seems as though this is a recurring problem for that particular exterior mounted camera, and the repairs are costly. The interior system that Dennis (87MH) has rigged up looks like a good solution. I suppose that camera could be wired into the existing system since the monitor is built in.

dbyar
92MH
dbyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Teutonic:
As a newbie the first day I bought my 31' Excella Airstream in Missouri and began to drive it back to Santa Barbara I stopped at a WallMart and bought an inexpensive security monitor with one wireless B&W camera and an temporary tripod and an extra 12 Volt (cigarette lighter) plug to power the camera. It took about 10 minutes to set up the camera out the back window, duct tape the tripod to a night stand, and power it up. The monitor was placed on floor hump near the drivers right leg tilted up 45 degrees or so for viewing. This system worked beyond my expectations. The shortcoming is that the view you see is a reverse image of what you expect to see in a normal rear view mirror. It takes some thinking each time you look at a car approaching and passing you. The reverse view is not as critical when backing as you have time to think. When I did my permanent camera installation I mounted the camera in an overhead bin pointed downward and used a truck sized rear view mirror mounted horizontally under the camera tilted 45 degrees (like a periscope) to look out the back window. (Credit must be given to Andy at Inland RV for this insight!) This reversed the reverse image problem and gave me the "normal" rear view mirror orientation of the image at the monitor. Proper orientation of the wireless antennas to keep the image from breaking up is a trick but the performance is acceptable. The wireless camera system, for the price ($79 plus tax), works well enough for me!
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote